• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

“Aim high and serve nothing but aces”: (Re)-watching The Bionic Woman

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The actress was not bad, but she was not Lindsay Wagner.

Before doing The Bionic Woman, Michelle Ryan was already well-known in the UK as young Zoë Slater in UK soap EastEnders, best remembered for this iconic argument/revelation scene with her sister, Kat:

johnnybear

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Planet of The Apes
I never bothered with the remake either! Michelle Ryan didn't do it for me and I remembered she was from Eastenders, a soap show I detest so just couldn't be asked to watch her in a sci-fi update!
JB

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
A few more commentaries down: The Ghosthunter; Road To Nashville and Biofeedback. All very enjoyable and informative, with Kenneth doing The Ghosthunter and Lindsay the two from the Second Season.

Lindsay Wagner says on the commentary for Road to Nashville that she worked very hard to hit those notes. And says that she had wanted to be a singer, before she started acting. She also mentions that the episodes of the series were shot in six days and they working up to 17 hours in a day. She says she was nervous singing around the professional singers and professional musicians. But she says that soon afterwards, she was at a fundraiser and Hoyt Acton called her in stage to sing with him. She mentions that for a time, they lived close to each other.

I'm really impressed at how switched on Lindsay seems to be about the business.

More than once she mentioned that it was her friend who convinced her that doing the series would be an opportunity for her to be able to say something, and advised her to ask Universal to stop offering her more money and instead allow Lindsay a degree of creative control to make suggestions and to turn down ideas she didn't like. It's even more impressive considering the time in which it was made, and how few female-led series there were.

Fascinating to hear that Biofeedback was Lindsay's suggestion, based on alternative therapy techniques she'd studied herself. I wonder if this was related to the car accident she was in. I got the sense it went back to even before that.

It's also interesting to hear Lindsay reflect that she might have been a pain in the rear during her BW days due to her insistence at trying some of the ideas and the many conversations she had with Kenneth and the writers over her character.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Jaime following along with a programme featuring a British female cook. Who is it, I wonder? Zena Skinner? Fanny Craddock? Delia Smith, even?

Aha. It's Julia Child, apparently. At least according to the fascinating Kenny Johnson audio commentary for Part I of Doomsday Is Tomorrow, which I'm watching as I write.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
the fascinating Kenny Johnson audio commentary for Part I of Doomsday Is Tomorrow,

Having now watched both parts, it's really hit home what an amazing collaborative vision this series is. Both Kenneth and Lindsay were not just wholeheartedly invested in the truth of the stories and characters, but also brought a richness through their interest in the technical aspects of making the series work.

Kenny talked in great detail about his backstory, his relationships with cast and crew and his choices in terms of writing and direction. In addition, his memory for the making of specific episodes is wonderful, so he was able to cover little moments such as a scene when Oscar sat on the desk in front of Jaime and Lindsay felt she wanted to flick his leg with an elastic band to give a little human moment. It's on-screen for less than a second, but it shows an incredible attention to the smallest of details in each and every episode. And that extended to everyone involved in making this series.

No wonder it's such a joy to watch, even if it was a pain to shoot at times.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Last night I watched writer James D. Parriott's audio commentary for Part I of The Bionic Dog:

Considering the two bionic series now exist on different networks and crossovers are apparently verboten, it’s all the more surprising that both stories so far have included a number of flashbacks not only to Jaime’s adventures on her old network, but also to her pre-spinoff history on The Six Million Dollar Man.

This surprised me all over again while re-watching.

The Bionic Dog in particular has given Martin E. Brooks a great deal of screen-time and a fairly meaty story where we see a tougher, less affable side to his character. It’s great to see this layer of coldness to him as Rudy refuses to admit that he may be wrong and grimly sets on with his decision to kill Maximillian the dog, snubbing Jaime as she tries to plead with him. It’s not an easy thing for a character to come back from, but the writing and performances pull it off admirably.

James comments on the change in Rudy this episode and how challenging he found it to write for these very reasons.

Max (the episode) is notable for being an episode in which Jaime hardly appears. In fact it feels very much like a backdoor pilot for a Bionic Dog series.

And James confirms this was the plan when writing The Bionic Dog. He also mentions writing this without realising that, some years earlier, a female author had already written a bionic dog called Maximillion who may even have had a bionic jaw. Which meant that he wouldn't be entitled to a creator credit if the new series had come to pass.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The Jim Sherrard podcast for Brain Wash was a nice touch. It's always good to hear the perspective of a superfan who knows the series inside out, and Jim had a lot of knowledge about many aspects of the episode from locations (cut to me getting into a Google Maps wormhole) to actors to Lindsay's infamous plunging top. It also drew my attention to The Bionic Woman Files website which I'm sure I'll have some fun dipping into.

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A few more commentaries down: The Ghosthunter; Road To Nashville and Biofeedback. All very enjoyable and informative, with Kenneth doing The Ghosthunter and Lindsay the two from the Second Season.

I'm really impressed at how switched on Lindsay seems to be about the business.

More than once she mentioned that it was her friend who convinced her that doing the series would be an opportunity for her to be able to say something, and advised her to ask Universal to stop offering her more money and instead allow Lindsay a degree of creative control

It's also interesting to hear Lindsay reflect that she might have been a pain in the rear during her BW days due to her insistence at trying some of the ideas and the many conversations she had with Kenneth and the writers over her character.
F637FC58-1C67-4165-819B-4FC961B4679E.jpeg

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

Oh gosh. Watching this today I'd thought this was the first I'd heard of Lindsay being married to Michael Brandon, but flicking back through this thread I'd previously discovered this less than two years ago.

it was news to me that at this time she was married to Michael “James Dempsey” Brandon. I’d had no idea. With the guest-cast on this series, Lindsay was already two degrees of separation from Dynasty. This not only puts a new spin on that, it also makes her a maximum of three degrees of separation from EastEnders.

My memory is shockingly bad these days.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I was reading through this last night and enjoying. I still have a few pages of the thread to read but I had to go to bed.

That's great. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

It's hard to believe it's two years since I was completely immersed in bionic-ness. In some ways it feels like a decade ago. This thread popping up has been a nice reminder of what a great series this was.

rlr718

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Bionic Woman - Season Three

The Bionic Dog (Parts I and II)

It’s quite a feat that, despite the network change and all the complications that come with that, there’s a reassuring sameness to much of the series. I was a little suprised, for example, that the opening titles remain identical without so much as a new season refresh. Even Jaime’s age has stayed the same this year, unlike the jump between Seasons One and Two.

Considering the two bionic series now exist on different networks and crossovers are apparently verboten, it’s all the more surprising that both stories so far have included a number of flashbacks not only to Jaime’s adventures on her old network, but also to her pre-spinoff history on The Six Million Dollar Man.

Naturally, this all makes me very curious about the details of the network change. It seems NBC have been given access not only to the character of Jaime and her supporting cast (even those appearing weekly as the same characters on ABC), but apparently this deal extends to footage of previous episodes shot for another network, and scenes shot for another series which is still airing on the rival network.

How did this work with sets, I wonder? The locations are reassuringly familiar. Oscar’s office looks like it may have been tweaked again, and I don’t think we’ve yet visited Jaime’s coach house this season, but everything flows nicely from last season to this in terms of feeling right.

If anything, Season Three so far feels a little more surefooted. People seem relaxed, and these episodes have serviced Rudy and Oscar well. The Bionic Dog in particular has given Martin E. Brooks a great deal of screen-time and a fairly meaty story where we see a tougher, less affable side to his character. It’s great to see this layer of coldness to him as Rudy refuses to admit that he may be wrong and grimly sets on with his decision to kill Maximillian the dog, snubbing Jaime as she tries to plead with him. It’s not an easy thing for a character to come back from, but the writing and performances pull it off admirably.

As for Max himself, I’m on the fence. Despite not really watching the series, I remember being aware of and intrigued by Max the bionic dog when I was young. But now I’m no longer a juvenile I expected to find it a bit of an endurance test. It did veer towards the syrupy at times, but overall it was much more watchable than I’d been expecting. The episodes even cheekily recreate the iconic side-by-side bionic buddy run, with Max taking over from Steve. And it was a joy to see.

I loved the character of Roger Grette - an old flame of Jaime’s - who was introduced in The Bionic Dog Part II. He was engaging and likeable, and the chemistry was good. I also loved the way pieces of information were introduced about their history, with Jaime feeling bad about the way she’d just left apparently without telling him. With them rekindling the flame and looking very cosy by the end, I was looking forward to seeing more of him throughout the season. But it looks like this was a one-off, which is disappointing. Roger made perfect male romantic lead material for this show.
This is one of my favorites. It’s just so nice how Jaime and max are bonding.

rlr718

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's great. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

It's hard to believe it's two years since I was completely immersed in bionic-ness. In some ways it feels like a decade ago. This thread popping up has been a nice reminder of what a great series this was.
And I’m finished. Great thread Mel. Thank you!
tbw and smdm are favorites if mine. I remember watching reruns when I was a kid (as I was just a little too young to watch the original airings having been born in 1974). The reruns aired if I remember correctly weekday afternoons in an after school slot.
As an adult I enjoyed the stories more and have always paralleled (in a strangish way) to Buffy the vampire slayer and angel. Same last name lol.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I also remember having this record when I was a kid. Some fun nostalgia.

Wow. I had no idea such a thing existed. It's interesting how very different the voice actors for Jaime and Oscar sound from Lindsay and Richard. I did wonder if there was some kind of contractual thing that they must be very obviously not the actors from the series... but then the cover bears a picture of Lindsay.

Anyway, I'm sure I'd had loved this as a kid. It would have sat proudly next to my record of The Story Of Tron and the accompanying book. :D

tbw and smdm are favorites if mine. I remember watching reruns when I was a kid (as I was just a little too young to watch the original airings having been born in 1974). The reruns aired if I remember correctly weekday afternoons in an after school slot.

As mentioned back in post #5, it was a similar journey for me. For many years I knew the series more by reputation and some heavily-read annuals than from the show itself, but I was still fascinated by it.

As an adult I enjoyed the stories more

Same here. I'm really impressed at how intelligently many of the stories are written, and how many layers there are.

and have always paralleled (in a strangish way) to Buffy the vampire slayer and angel. Same last name lol.

Tee hee. Buffy's one of those where I feel I know so much about it, but I've never really watched it. Perhaps one of these days I will get round to it. ;)

Anyway, rlr, I'm really glad you've liked dipping into the thread, and it's so good to read about your memories of the series. Thanks. :hat:

rlr718

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Wow. I had no idea such a thing existed. It's interesting how very different the voice actors for Jaime and Oscar sound from Lindsay and Richard. I did wonder if there was some kind of contractual thing that they must be very obviously not the actors from the series... but then the cover bears a picture of Lindsay.

Anyway, I'm sure I'd had loved this as a kid. It would have sat proudly next to my record of The Story Of Tron and the accompanying book. :D

As mentioned back in post #5, it was a similar journey for me. For many years I knew the series more by reputation and some heavily-read annuals than from the show itself, but I was still fascinated by it.

Same here. I'm really impressed at how intelligently many of the stories are written, and how many layers there are.

Tee hee. Buffy's one of those where I feel I know so much about it, but I've never really watched it. Perhaps one of these days I will get round to it. ;)

Anyway, rlr, I'm really glad you've liked dipping into the thread, and it's so good to read about your memories of the series. Thanks. :hat:
The record is the only one made as far as I know. The six million dollar man had one as well.
Watching smdm and tbw as an adult you can appreciate the story more. As a kid I was more interested in seeing the action and the sound effects. Then Trying to emulate them.
Mel you would probably like Buffy and angel, it’s high stakes.
ok I will see myself out now. Lol

Attachments

• A2B003C0-3640-452C-BD76-B1A44EDABFC9.png
    A2B003C0-3640-452C-BD76-B1A44EDABFC9.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 9A3720FB-2B37-42F4-BE47-5969F814182F.png
    9A3720FB-2B37-42F4-BE47-5969F814182F.png
    398.4 KB · Views: 25

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Watching smdm and tbw as an adult you can appreciate the story more. As a kid I was more interested in seeing the action and the sound effects. Then Trying to emulate them.

Absolutely. And they work perfectly on both levels.

I think it's a testament to the quality of both series that they hold up so well after decades and seen through adult eyes.

I'd always feel very wary of revisiting an old favourite series from this era because it can ruin it. Wonder Woman was my favourite series for a time when I was a kid, but there are an awful lot of episodes (especially towards the end of its run) that have dated horribly and feel very juvenile and so aren't the most enjoyable to watch (they'd be unwatchable if it wasn't for the great fashions and soundtrack and Lynda Carter's charisma). I was incredibly impressed at how solid SMDM and TBW remain.

Mel you would probably like Buffy and angel, it’s high stakes.
ok I will see myself out now. Lol

Ha ha.

I'm sure I'll sink my teeth into them one day. :embarrassed:

rlr718

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Late response sorry Mel. I don’t see it here so I guess I never mentioned this. There has been a number of releases of joe harnells scores from episodes. Earlier in the year I was listening to them non stop.
this is kill Oscar

The return of bigfoot

Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Late response sorry Mel. I don’t see it here so I guess I never mentioned this.

Better late than never, krampus. ;) It's good to hear from you.

There has been a number of releases of joe harnells scores from episodes. Earlier in the year I was listening to them non stop.
this is kill Oscar

The return of bigfoot

Funnily enough, these are the two I already own on CD. Joe was great at releasing his scores for TV series when he was still with us. I also have some of his underscore from The Incredible Hulk. They bring the series to life in a completely new way.