• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

1986: primetime soaps, instinctive timelines, listening to nature, etc...

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And then continue with DYNASTY II (5 seasons of The Colbys), and after that DYNASTY III.
Could that work, Dynasty as a franchise-soap?

DYNASTY III: THE FALLMONTS
DYNASTY IV: THE DEXTER'S
DYNASTY V: THE AYNDERS
DYNASTY VI: THE GUNNERSONS
DYNASTY VII: THE CURTIS'
DYNASTY VIII: THE SKELETONS IN THE MANSION BASEMENT
DYNASTY 9: THE BODIES IN THE LAKE
DYNASTY 10: THE AMNESIACS

yeah I could this franchise working ;)

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
DYNASTY III: THE FALLMONTS
THOSE DAMNED FALLMONTS

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 said:
DYNASTY VI: THE GUNNERSONS

EVEN THE HORSES WERE HOMOSEXUAL (based on a quip from Dale Robertson about DYNASTY) featuring Mrs Gunnerson and Walter Lankershim who run off together for romance in the Tetons.

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
THOSE DAMNED FALLMONTS

EVEN THE HORSES WERE HOMOSEXUAL (based on a quip from Dale Robertson about DYNASTY) featuring Mrs Gunnerson and Walter Lankershim who run off together for romance in the Tetons.

DYNASTY 11: THE HOMOSEXUAL HORSES
SPECIAL GUEST STAR: WALTER LANKERSHIM
PREMISES: FORMER BUSINESS PARTNER OF MATTHEW BLAISDEL DISAPPEARED IN THE MID 1980S AND NOW HE HAS BEEN FOUND.....LIVING AT DELTA RHO, CONVINCED THAT HE IS A HORSE....A HOMOSEXUAL HORSE.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And then continue with DYNASTY II (5 seasons of The Colbys), and after that DYNASTY III.
Could that work, Dynasty as a franchise-soap?

Actually, it could. Although given the way forum members praise the old films aesthetics of the soap, maybe year 1 should have been set back then--or maybe the first two years.
On a related note, my favorite soapy novel, Wuthering Heights, did two generations in two different eras. I would like to see some show do that,

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Actually, it could. Although given the way forum members praise the old films aesthetics of the soap, maybe year 1 should have been set back then--or maybe the first two years.
On a related note, my favorite soapy novel, Wuthering Heights, did two generations in two different eras. I would like to see some show do that,
DYNASTY should certainly have been more noir than it generally was.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Why did Katherine Wentworth show up but not her "brothers"?

Has anyone been reading my mind lately...when I was working on my future "Ewing Empire" episodes? I´ve always been sure that Katherine had an INTENSE social life...

:danc::danc::spinning::spinning:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
I see it this way: The 1985-86 year was the year of 'all or nothing bat shit craziness' and the 1987-88 year was the year of 'tired, grainy pictured, boredness'.

Both years are mirror images of one another, especially for Dynasty, I've said before that the 1987-88 year was a bargain binned, do over of season 6, what with them hashing out the original planned season 6 storylines but with major revisions ie: Alexis becoming queen of Moldavia was revised into Alexis wanting to become governor for Colorado, Sammy Jo having an affair with Prince Michael was delayed and later changed into another one of her cousin in law: Jeff
Amanda having an affair with Dex was redone with Leslie and Sean.

As for when the soaps should've ended, DALLAS in truth should've ended in 1987, when it had come more or less full circle on itself, and 1987 seemed like the right time to end it, not least for the fact that reverse the last two numbers of 1987 you get 1978, numerically this seems to fit in a funny way.

Falcons Crest should've ended in 1988, Knots Landing in 1989 and Dynasty, under Paulsen and a major revamp over the summer of 1989 could easily have ran to 1991, Dynasty by season 9 was ready for the 1990s, in a way that DALLAS and FC weren't.

To me "Dallas" should´ve never ended...that would be a way to avoid TNT fiasco happen!! Before the Cidre House, I used to dream that I never knew it still was in the air and when I knew, I was so pissed I´d missed...what, 20 seasons? Go figure! And VP had come back, of course...but it all was...dreamy. The TNT Pilot certainly was very much like it, and also the Season 2 Finale with Pam´s fate plot!!

Anyway, realistically, I would have ended "Dallas" in 1984 with Bobby´s death, "Knots Landing" is ok the way it is (minus the Miniseries), and "Falcon Crest" was finished the right way (Angela´s toast), but the 3 last seasons weren´t necessary at all. I would have ended it after the mansion´s second fire with Melissa dying, and Angela getting everything back because...what else was left for the show to do? Re "Dynasty", well, a well-planned, well-shot (if you know what I mean with "well-planned shots"...) would have been delicious...Just kidding. :eek::D

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Outside of the soaps, 1986 was the first year world events felt "real" instead of the five years of unreality that washed over everything in the first half of the '80s -- at least in the States. The Challenger Disaster (in January) and Chernobyl felt real in a way nothing had since, say, John Lennon was killed six years earlier.

So 1986 felt like some kind of cusp or hump or something. But what does it all mean??

1986.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's been said before, including by me, that the forlorn cliffhangers of Spring 1985 seemed the precipice of the nighttime soap genre -- Bobby dies, Moldavia has its massacre, Val gets her babies back (the only time KNOTS ever hit #1 for the week), and there's that earthquake in Tuscany Valley that may have been delayed for another year but would have fit in nicely with this Spring 1985 funereal ambiance.

Perhaps these shows should indeed have ended right there (but I would have hated to have missed DALLAS' Season 10 -- per DVD count, DYNASTY's Season 9, or KNOTS for the rest of the decade).

During the 1985-'86 season, all the shows took on a tan, beige-y look to them visually, and became drably cluttered in cast size and story structure. (Even KNOTS, to a point, despite the presence of Paulsen). Then, towards the latter part of the season, FALCON CREST began flirting with that cheapy, film-edited-on-video post-production process which would ruin the Lorimar shows over the next three years after Telepictures took over. And DYNASTY, despite Aaron Spelling's refusal to adopt this new, down-market process because of the lousy visual result, nevertheless embraced another post-production process which made the broadcast prints look so grainy and ruddy and washed-out, it looked just as bad or worse!

Spring of 1986 saw Bobby revived without explanation yet; Alexis took over the mansion and Blake's company, her crusade come full circle, and gets strangled on the landing; Napa finally had that earthquake that now felt passe; and I frankly forget what KNOTS did that May.

Ratings fell precipitously that year -- and not just because sitcoms made a comeback. The soaps felt tired, no longer focused, trying to "wing it" somehow which the viewers could sense. John Forsythe pointed out years later that "audiences can tell when there's something wrong with the scripts" and the stories (and the story flow) "and they lose interest in the project".

DALLAS and DYNASTY both had evil twins in 1986 (though Rita showed up a few months earlier) which seems a metaphor for something, these soaps revisiting their origins when Wes Parmalee and Alexis attempted to return to their "rightful" digs. (30 years later, one of the EMPIRE producers asserted that "once you go for the evil twin, you've lost your way;" one is tempted to reference the Nigerian brothers' scandal, and the lynching Trumpeter who never existed, but I won't).

I'd argue the Parmalee story worked better than the Rita Leslie plotline, but DALLAS' evil twin was connected to the series' entire backstory history, while DYNASTY's was mostly a way to fill time and force the golden heroine do things she wouldn't ordinarily allow.

But, well-executed or not, the evil twin trope might signal that a series has ripened, the fruit ready to drop from the tree. And how quickly the rot sets in just depends. After this point, the only good seasons these programs had was whenever David Paulsen wandered onto their sets and sprinkled his magical dust onto them (only KNOTS didn't really need him -- they had David Jacobs to preside over the proceedings).

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
DALLAS and DYNASTY both had evil twins in 1986 (though Rita showed up a few months earlier) which seems a metaphor for something, these soaps revisiting their origins when Wes Parmalee and Alexis attempted to return to their "rightful" digs. (30 years later, one of the EMPIRE producers asserted that "once you go for the evil twin, you've lost your way;" one is tempted to reference the Nigerian brothers' scandal, and the lynching Trumpeter who never existed, but I won't).

I'd argue the Parmalee story worked better than the Rita Leslie plotline, but DALLAS' evil twin was connected to the series' entire backstory history, while DYNASTY's was mostly a way to fill time and force the golden heroine do things she wouldn't ordinarily allow.

Possibly a better example of this for Dallas is the Jack/Dimitiri Marinos doppleganger plot which was actually playing out around the same time as the Krystle/Rita plotline. Though certainly not Dallas' first mistake, it was the show's first foray into schlocky daytime territory and was indeed indicative of the show really beginning to lose it's way.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The third act of a play or a movie is often the driest, the storytelling more obligatory if not uninspired, in an effort to just get the damn thing finished.

But for shows like these, it seems like they'd have every potential to be the opposite. You already have several seasons of backstory build-up to use with which to spin your current narrative. And, if anything, to counter the usual Act 3 doldrums, there probably needs to be a greater effort at reflecting the families' lives on the shows' related estates (even if, or especially if, location budgets are lower than they previously were), giving the viewer a greater, more organic sense of the characters' daily existences in and around these houses. Even if you have to use Hollywood magic to do it.

1986 seemed like a good place for that to have begun.