LV

Reaction score
Awards
Asanoyama achieves goal of promotion to sumo's second-highest rank
Details
Written by Kyodo
Published: 23 March 2020
Hits: 17

Following news of his impending promotion to ozeki, Asanoyama said he had accomplished one of his career goals.

A Japan Sumo Association advisory board recommended the 26-year-old sekiwake for promotion following his 11-4 finish at the Spring Grand Sumo Tournament, making his ascent to the sport’s second-highest rank a formality.

“I was aiming to become an ozeki. I have achieved one of my goals,” Asanoyama said.

While he fell one win short of the 33 victories over three tournaments normally necessary for ozeki promotion, the Toyama Prefecture native earned commendations for the quality of his sumo.

He remained in title contention until the closing stages of the Spring Grand Tournament, which was held behind closed doors at Edion Arena Osaka due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The meet, won by yokozuna Hakuho, was also notable for featuring just one ozeki, Takakeisho, after other recent holders of the rank had been demoted or retired.

Standing 188 cm and weighing 177 kg, Asanoyama has exhibited solid technique and impressive physical strength on his way to becoming one of sumo’s rising stars.

Wrestling out of the Takasago stable, he has won one Emperor’s Cup, at last year’s Summer Grand Sumo Tournament.

The JSA will formally decide on his promotion at a meeting Wednesday to determine rankings for the May tournament.

Swami

Swami

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Juryo promotions and retirees after Haru Basho
Details
Written by Tachiai.org & sumoforum.net
Published: 25 March 2020
Hits: 10

Fujiazuma © sumo-webpaper.com

Besides Asanoyama’s ozeki promotion, the Nihon Sumo Kyokai announced the names of new sekitori for the upcoming Natsu Basho in May. As expected, there are 3 promotions from Makushita to Juryo but all have been sekitori before and two of them have already been in Makuuchi.

The new Juryo rikishi are:
Asabenkei - Ms3e 6-1, Takasago-beya, Kanagawa, 31 years old. His 3rd promotion, back after 11 basho
Fujiazuma - Ms3w 5-2, Tamanoi-beya, Tokyo, 32 years old. His 3rd promotion, back after 18 basho, former maegashira
Chiyonoo - Ms4e 5-2, Kokonoe-beya, Kagoshima, 28 years old. His 3rd promotion, back after 8 basho, former maegashira

Finally Ms2 Kotodaigo (4-3) was not promoted to sumo's second division although he won 2 bouts against Juryo rikishi in Osaka. So, J10 Yago (4-11), J12 Asagyokusei (5-10) and J13 Tomokaze (0-0-15) will be likely demoted to Makushita.

On the other hand, rikishi who called it quits are:
Wakaichiro (Musashigawa)
Kasugamine (Nakagawa)
Teruju (Isegahama)
Kotonoshima (Sadogatake)
Bariki (Shikoroyama)
Tetsubisho (Shikoroyama)
Fukunofuji (Isegahama) banzuke-gai

Swami

Michelle Stevens

'The Lovely Michelle'
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Wow, Yago is dropping like a stone. Ichinojo looks to remain in juryo in May.

Any news of Terunofuji? I just discovered he is from the same stable as Takarafuji.

Swami

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Wow, Yago is dropping like a stone. Ichinojo looks to remain in juryo in May.

Any news of Terunofuji? I just discovered he is from the same stable as Takarafuji.

I'd reckon Terunofuji has done enough to move back to Makunouchi though he didn't do as well this time, and only at the top of juryo, so his comeback may be slowing down a bit.

Swami