• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

364k viewers

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The producers could simply offer to repaint the CW execs' offices and 'spruce things up' for them. Depending on how hard they work, we might end up with a ten-year deal and a bus-load of Cristals to be named later.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dynasty reaches its new low. Episode 9 was watched by 349K
Thank god they have the Netflix deal.

note :
- Last year, episode 13 had 610k viewers. After the break, the show returned with 470K viewers (losing 140K viewers)
- This year, episode 8 had 370 viewers. After the break the show returned with 349K viewers (losing 21K viewers)

The ratings bleeding is slower this year. Which is a poor consolation unfortunately.

As I said in november :
200K by season's finale?

It's too late to save the show from a rating standpoint. Now they have 2 possibilities :
- Go with dignity and create the best episodes they can, and at least save Dynasty from bad writing for its remaining time.
- Give no shit about it, like they did last year, and blame the actors.

Last edited:

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Anyway, I still wonder why they fired Nathalie Kelley and killed Cristal. On this forum, there were talks about "test panels" who didn't like the actress and/or the character.
Again, I wonder "who" are those panels? Was it us? I mean, the fans on internet? Because I remember that many of us disliked both Nathalie/Cristal and James/Steven.

Now that they're gone, it has broken deeply the dynamic of the characters in the show and many fans regrets them. It also broke season 2 plots and characters interactions.
That decision to fire Nathalie and James really hurt the show. Then Nicollette going away and Fallexis, followed by C3 didn't hep either I suppose...

Even if Dynasty is about crazy billionaire family, a certain credibility is needed in a TV series. Even for a soap. There are limits. Plastic surgery to change an actor : ok. It's not possible, real, IRL, but in a soap reality, people tend to accept it.

Having your twenty something lead actress taking over a 55 yo character and playing both roles : not ok.
Dream season : not ok
Spaceships : not ok
Well, you see my point. And I've been ranting about it too many times. I guess I am nevrotic and obsessed.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
In a strange twist of events the show may actually be saved. The US government is to buy a stake in the show and screen it in prisons as part of an early release programme. The plan would involve episodes being shown to prisoners from season 1 through to the end of the shows run. This would equate to half of their sentence. Currently no prisoners have agreed to this. However with over-crowding in US prisons at an all time high this looks like the way forward. All convicted people given sentences could be forced to split their punishment between time served in prison and watching the complete run of CW Dynasty.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In a strange twist of events the show may actually be saved. The US government is to buy a stake in the show and screen it in prisons as part of an early release programme. The plan would involve episodes being shown to prisoners from season 1 through to the end of the shows run. This would equate to half of their sentence. Currently no prisoners have agreed to this. However with over-crowding in US prisons at an all time high this looks like the way forward. All convicted people given sentences could be forced to split their punishment between time served in prison and watching the complete run of CW Dynasty.

The show is already saved. It has been renewed for a fourth season
Anyway, question : if a citizen has already watched the entire run, and commits a felony later, is his sentence cut in half?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The show is already saved. It has been renewed for a fourth season
Anyway, question : if a citizen has already watched the entire run, and commits a felony later, is his sentence cut in half?
Yes.. And they are given a loaded gun.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Initially, I was super annoyed that I couldn't watch the new S3 episodes on netflix. But now, a few months later, I'm just so glad this show is no longer my problem.
Maybe, maybe if Nicolette had returned...but that's not the case.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was holding out hope that NS would return, and I would still have preferred it. But Elaine Hendrix (and some revisionist writing given to her) has made me happy with the recast in record time. So now, they will just have to push that envelope once again by casting NS as Caress Morell, Alexis's identical twin sister who is no longer identical, in a season or two.

As for the ratings/viewership, I think we all need to forget all about the traditional ratings system. This show might end up being a poster child for the "new normal" in TV viewing, where streaming and "app" viewing is high enough to allow them to ignore the Nielsens and do their own thing. It's a tough sell, since generations of TV viewers have been taught that good Nielsen ratings are the only thing that keeps a show alive. We aren't privy to figures on how often a show is streamed or otherwise seen in alternate platforms, so we equate the lack of information with a lack of viewership. There is also the whole "peer group bandwagon" thing, where so many people watch a show simply because their friends like it. They want to have a common topic of conversation and be "part of the gang". Hearing that your favorite show has low Nielsen ratings can be discouraging to people who equate low viewership with not being "the popular topic of conversation". The Nielsens simply are not the beginning and end of measuring the popularity of a show these days. I'm not saying there is some enormous, un-measured volume of Dynasty fans out there being kept in silence...but until Netflix starts publishing some of their viewing data (or more likely, the data leaks out), we won't know the exact numbers. All we can say right now is that it's obviously healthy enough to merit continued renewals. And I guess that's all that really matters.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree. Dynasty is a Netflix top 10 show in UK for exemple.
In France, the show is not that popular but it seems to do well on Netflix too.

It has been renewed for a fourth season despite those insanely bad nielsen ratings : that means that the show is obviously doing pretty well on streaming platforms.
I even think that the official CW streaming service is also a reason why the ratings are lowers theses days for Dynasty. I mean, now that watchers know that they can look Dynasty on that plateform, why would they have to wait for TV airing? I, myself, don't watch TV anymore. I really don't. I just stream and download. My TV is just a 55 inches screen to watch what I stream or download.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The thing is that the ratings is in line what Crazy Ex-Girlfriend scored in the same time slot last year (which had been announced as a last season before it aired) - it's just that Fridays at 9PM is the lowest priority slot on The CW. They placed Dynasty there because they don't care about the live ratings - they know they're bad, they know they're not going to improve, but obviously they're still making money on the show so they put it in a time slot where it has no real pressure about performing well in linear ratings.

If they moved it to a better timeslot like they did with All American and it didn't improve or fell to new lows... well, that would be bad.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've said this before about other shows/situations, but I can't understand why we see blanket-style promotion for CW's high-rated shows, but nothing for their lower (OK, lowest) rated shows. Those high-rated shows have their audiences hooked already; they don't need help attracting that group, because they're going to tune in, regardless. The goal of advertising is to entice people to watch who otherwise might not watch, right? Ten commercials per hour for Riverdale is like coals to Newcastle at this point.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Eh, to be fair, the only difference usually is that they bother cutting up a proper 30 sec promo for their highest rated shows, but aside from special events like "Crisis" and cross-overs, it's mainly new shows that end up getting the bulk of the promotional budget. The CWs budget is and always has been tight, which is why it's profitable to begin with. Just look at the mess that was their Critics Choice Awards gala - that's glamour, CW style.

I've said this before, but I'm honestly shocked at how good the show looks with such low ratings. You'd think they'd be cutting corners, but mostly they've done a good job with making it seem more costly than it probably is.

Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
I was holding out hope that NS would return, and I would still have preferred it. But Elaine Hendrix (and some revisionist writing given to her) has made me happy with the recast in record time. So now, they will just have to push that envelope once again by casting NS as Caress Morell, Alexis's identical twin sister who is no longer identical, in a season or two.

Wow, I sure wouldn´t want to miss that and maybe would dare to watch the series since the beginning, I´m all for twin sisters stories...!! :danc::danc:

Edie70

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was holding out hope that NS would return
She's got some surprising offers thanks to her stint on "Dynasty". A sci-fi pilot for Showtime and an indie movie. She might do them both since they're just limited production schedules, you're done in a few weeks and then back to her mother who is fighting as hard as she can.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It seems episode 10 has 350 K viewers. Not that it matters much as the show has already been renewed.
But mots importantly, the quality of the writing has raised so I am good.

Edie70

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It seems episode 10 has 350 K viewers. Not that it matters much as the show has already been renewed.
But mots importantly, the quality of the writing has raised so I am good.
I haven't seen it yet but I'm glad to hear this. Elaine Hendrix seems to have injected this limping bitch of a show with some new life and fresh perspective. God bless her soul! These writers seem to enjoy her portrayal, let's hope they continue to give her juicy material. She seems more real, much more ruthless and not afraid to take her claws out and get what's hers. Finally a worthy Alexis.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
380K viewers for episode 14.

Can the show reach 400K again ? I doubt it, but at least, 380 is a progression.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The coronavirus didn't help Dynasty's return in the ratings :

Almost a new low, as I predicted.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The coronavirus didn't help Dynasty's return in the ratings :
Now, you are seeing the glass half empty. All the other shows on TV have more viewers and potentially more casualties as the pandemic progresses. Soon we may see the Gillieathon audience share improve.