• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

After All

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ok sorry just catching up due to illness myself.

I LOVE Sue Ellen and I'm so proud of her. Thank you for giving her her moment with that silly bitch from hell. I wish she had died in the explosion too - but that would have stopped Sue Ellen and JR having their chance. I do wish that JR had been a little nastier to her though - especially for what she put Sue Ellen through. I don't understand why Don wants her - Mandy is scum, pure, vile simple (very simple) scum and I think Sue Ellen would be insulted by him going with her. She deserves to be alone. EVIL EVIL pure unadulterated EVIL. She should be dumped like radioactive waste. Anyone need me to clarify my feelings on that one? :tv:

Love Lucy to bits, John Ross and Christopher too and I actually really love hearing JR and Lucy say they love each other. It's really sweet.

Can't wait to see where Peter is going in the story. I always enjoyed that storyline but I do want JR and Sue Ellen to have some peace now.

I'm with @Honkytonkangel - Pam does nothing for me, I can't be bothered with her feeling the universe centres around her and as for Afton - I'd have her maimed and disfigured, before adding her to the radioactive waste pile.

No one can hold a candle to Sue Ellen in terms of bravery, resilience, determination or the pure love she has for JR. It's powerful. She is powerful.

Thank you for 3 brilliant updates. Really looking forward to more! :clap::clap::clap:

Almost totally agree. I didn't like the whole Peter storyline, but I think I might've hated it less with a different/better actor (or at least one that didn't look like he could actually be lil JRo's best friend).
I have no time for Pam either, though in the last chapter I was talking about Jenna.
I wonder if it's a narcissus complex that makes Bobby attracted to whiny little brats.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I made the mistake of reading this last night before going to bed. I wasn't able to fall asleep for a long time afterwards. :(

I was sad to see you kill off Cliff. It feels like such a waste. :(
Also I can't remember is it in this story that Pamela Rebecca is autistic or was that your last story?

Lucy was really cold to Mitch. I mean his sister could be dying. So he could use some support. I do hope Afton pulls through. I always liked her.

Poor Donna feeling left out. She should see Miss Ellie I bet she would welcome her.

I couldn't care less about the Sue Ellen and Mandy confrontation since in my mind Sue Ellen won over Mandy on the show. Their story was resolved so I saw no use to bring her back in the first place. Still since you did I guess it's just as well that Sue Ellen put her in place again. But I am concerned about Sue Ellen's health.

I hate that you killed off Cally. :(

She is such a sweet character who deserves a happily ever after with some other man and a proper family after the crap JR put her through. He was really nasty to her when he grew tired of their marriage.

Still her death does open up for some interesting plot developments. I can't wait to see how JR and Sue Ellen will cope when the boy arrives at Southfork.
Pammy was autistic in my last story. In this one she's completely normal and healthy.

I struggled with killing off Cliff. I felt like I had written him into a corner with his stealing from April and what he did to Michelle. I figured at least I could let him go out as a hero and with dignity...fix a little of what they did to him in the TNT show.

Cally, I had to do it for plot reasons which will become clear later. Also, Lucy has good reason to be cold to Mitch, but her heart is big, so she'll be there for him when it counts.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic begins immediately after the events in "Conundrum," the last episode of the original "Dallas" story. It disregards both the TV movies and the TNT continuation.

With this story, I am hoping to give JR, Sue Ellen, and the entire Ewing family the ending I think they deserved.

"After All"

Part 53

"Did you get Jenna to the airport?"

Clayton nodded at his wife and moved past her to the coffee pot. "Yes. She's safely on a plane to Dallas. I'm kind of surprised she left Lucas here though."

"Why? We can handle him. Plus Charlie is here to help Besides, Pam is going to have a hard enough time adjusting to life back at Southfork without having a constant reminder around that Bobby has a second son."

"True," Clayton said, pausing to drink his coffee. "Ellie, have you given any thought as to whether or not you want to return to Southfork to live?"

"I don't want to go back," Ellie said, her voice tinged with sadness. "It's my home and I miss it but JR and Sue Ellen and Bobby and Pam... let's just say I don't want to get sucked back into their daily drama."

"Of thank God," Clayton sighed. "I can't even begin to tell you how happy it makes me to hear that!"

JR listened to Sue Ellen's steady breathing while he struggled with his emotions.

The doctor had come in and given her a strong sedative. She had worked herself into a hysterical crying fit and it had caused her blood pressure to skyrocket. Between hearing that he'd seen Mandy, dealing with Cally's death, and worrying about whether or not JR was going to have to raise Beau, she had finally lost it. The doctor had knocked her out cold - for her own good.

JR had been both shocked and disturbed by Sue Ellen's reaction to his meeting with Mandy. He would have thought she would have been happy that the other woman finally seemed to understand that Sue Ellen was the only woman he had ever loved; but no. She had been furious. She had even accused JR of sneaking around to see Mandy behind her back.

JR had almost lost his temper with her, but he realized that it wasn't really Mandy she was upset about - it was Beau. She didn't want to raise Cally's child, but she knew it might come to that.

For his part, JR was even less warm to the idea of taking over Beau's care than Sue Ellen was. He wouldn't care one bit if the DNA test proved James wasn't his son, but that would mean that it would be up to him to raise Beau. He was too old to deal with having a toddler. And Beau being at Southfork would turn everyone's lives upside down.

"I need a drink," he muttered to himself. He glanced at his watch and realized it was still fairly early. Sue Ellen would be out for hours. He had plenty of time to go get a shot of bourbon and clear his head. He stood up, walked to the bed, and bent to place a soft kiss on Sue Ellen's forehead. "Be back soon, Miss Texas."

"I don't know, Lucy. It seems like an awfully big responsibility. Are you sure you want to take it on? I mean, I understand that Sue Ellen isn't well, but she'll be out of the hospital in a few days. John Ross is her son, after all. Why can't she bring him to the funeral. She's his mother, not you. It's her place, not yours."

"Sue Ellen won't be well enough to travel in a few days, out of the hospital or not," Lucy retorted, her voice taking a snide tone. "And you're hardly in any position to sit in judgement of how anyone else handles their maternal responsibilities, are you?"

Valene choked back a hurt cry. "Lucy…"

"Don't," Lucy warned. "I was just letting you know that I would be in your neck of the woods for a couple of days. If you decide you want to see me, you know where I'll be staying."

"Of course I want to see you!"

"Good. We'll work out the details once I know when the funeral will be. I have to go. It's late and I need to check on John Ross. Goodnight, Mom."

"Goodnight, Lucy. I love you."

Lucy hung up the phone without returning the words of affection. She DID love her mother - very much. But Val had never been a large part of her life and now she had other children to worry with.

"Lucy?"

"Hang on, John Ross," Lucy called out. "I'll be right there!"

Lucy and Val would never be close. She had accepted that long ago. Best for her to concentrate on the family she did have and not to spend time worrying over the relationships that were lost.

JR's eyes widened when the elevator door slid open and he recognized the man who stepped inside. "Mitch," he nodded in greeting.

"JR," Mitch greeted him back. "How is Sue Ellen?"

"As well as can be expected. Afton?"

"Not well. Truthfully it will be a miracle if she makes it through the night."

"Sorry to hear that. You headed to a hotel for the night?"

"No," Mitch informed him. "Looking for a bar. You?"

"Same."

"Any reason we can't have a drink together?"

"None that I can think of," JR shrugged. "None at all."

"Welcome back," Don greeted her, stepping out of the doorway to let her into his hotel room. "I take it things didn't go as planned."

"You know exactly how things went," Mandy growled, breezing past him and taking a seat on the couch. "JR and Sue Ellen both talked to you, didn't they?"

"Yes," he didn't even bother to deny it.

"Did you really tell Sue Ellen you would testify under oath that the events in that script were fiction?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I knew that's what she needed to hear and I knew it wouldn't come to that. As soon as she told me she had the Andrews' palimony file, I knew it was game over."

"You were that sure that JR wouldn't choose me?"

"He never has before, has he?"

"No."

"Mandy, are you finally done with that silly fantasy of a happily ever after with JR Ewing? Do you finally understand that he and Sue Ellen belong together?"

"Yes."

"Good."

"JR said you loved me."

"I wouldn't go that far," Don laughed. "But I do care for you. I do find you to be fascinating and talented and intelligent and sexy as hell to boot. But I'm done playing second fiddle to JR Ewing. No woman is worth that. Not Sue Ellen, and not you. Do you understand?"

"Yes," she said again. "Have any coffee? I think you and I should have a long talk."

"You didn't know any of that, did you?" Mitch asked.

"No. No clue," JR admitted. "Seems my little niece is damn good at keeping secrets. Explains the sudden divorce though."

"There really wasn't anything sudden about it," Mitch sighed. "We were skating on thin ice for a long time before I cheated. The abortion was just the final straw."

"So Lucy forgave the affair, but left because your mistress had an abortion… wow."

"She's always wanted children. I didn't. To me, the fact she was sterile was a blessing. To her it was a curse. She really believed we should take the baby and raise it together."

"But you said no."

"Of course. I told you, I don't want kids. Truth be told, I can't even stand being around the nasty, loud little creatures."

"And here fate is, kicking you in the ass. If Afton dies…"

"When. Not if. She's already on life support. If she doesn't go on her own tonight, I'm going to have to pull the plug tomorrow."

"And with Cliff dead…"

"Yep. I get stuck with the kid."

"Damn," JR mused. "And here I thought I had problems."

Mitch laughed bitterly and took another drink. "What are you going to do if it turns out you have to take that kid from your dead ex-wife?"

"No idea," JR answered truthfully. "But one thing's for sure, Sue Ellen will stand by me no matter what."

"You're lucky then," Mitch said flatly. "Lucy gave up on me long ago."

"Well," JR said as he pulled out his wallet and laid cash on the bar for their drinks, "I wouldn't close the book on that girl if I were you. Ewing women are crazy, but they're loyal and worth fighting for. Speaking of which, I need to get back to mine. Want to share a cab back to the hospital?"

"No, I'm going to stay and have a few more drinks."

"Suit yourself," JR stood up,"but remember what I said. Lucy is worth a fight. If you give up on her, you might regret it for the rest of your life."

"Hold it right there or I'll blow your brains out all over the wall."

Jenna jumped, screamed, and dropped her suitcase on the floor with a loud thud. "Jesus, Ray!"

"Jenna?" He reached over and flipped on the bedside light. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to surprise you. I didn't know that would mean being threatened with a pistol!"

"Sorry, wasn't expecting someone to show up in my bedroom in the middle of the night."

"Obviously!"

"But...now that you're here, why don't you come closer so I can give you a proper kiss hello."

"Just a kiss?" Jenna asked breathlessly.

"We'll start with that and see how it goes," he said lowly. "Now come here."

"Where have you been, JR?"

JR jumped at the sound of Sue Ellen's voice. The doctor has promised him that she would sleep through the night. "I went out for a drink with Mitch," he told her.

"A drink? Mitch Cooper?"

JR raised his eyebrows at the way she was slurring her words. She sounded drunk. He figured it must be the sedative.

"Yeah. He's here because of Afton."

"I see," Sue Ellen sniffed haughtily. "And you left me all alone in my hospital bed to go out carousing with him?"

"I wasn't carousing, Sue Ellen. I had one drink and came straight back. Besides, your doctor told me you'd be out all night."

"I guess I would have been if the phone hadn't kept winging."

"Winging?" He repeated.

"RINGING," she corrected. "James was trying to get hold of you. The DNA test was incongruous."

"Incongruous?"

"INCONCLUSIVE. They have to do another one."

"Damnit," JR muttered."Alright. I'll call him in the morning."

"You owe me an apography... apostrophe…"

"Apology?" JR laughed in spite of himself.

"Yes. Come over here and say you're sorry for leaving me."

JR chuckled and moved to sit down on the edge of her bed. "I'm sorry I left you honey. It won't ever happen again."

"You're damn white it won't," she growled.

"Yes," he laughed out loud. "I'm damn white."

"Are you making fun of me, JR?"

"Yes," he laughed even harder.

"I don't like you very much, JR," she pouted, punching him hard in the arm.

"Good thing you love me so much then," he was laughing uncontrollably now.

"John Ross Ewing the Second!!!"

"Sorry, Miss Texas," he took a deep breath and got himself under control. "I'll be good. I promise."

"Me too, JR," she slurred. "I don't want to be a mother to Cally's son, but I will if it means being your wife. I'll be a good mother to him. I promise."

"Oh, honey," he bent down and placed a soft kiss on her lips, "I know you will."

"Get in bed with me. I need to make sure you don't run away again."

JR slid under the covers with her and gathered her into his arms. "Don't you worry, Miss Texas. I am never going to run away from you. Not ever again."

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Aw that was so sweet!! Loved the scene with Sue Ellen slurring her words, so cute.
:Clol:
Feel bad for Lucy - I like Val and wish they could get their relationship back on track.

Don needs to get rid of TTOE once and for all and JR needs to do something drastic to move things along so Sue Ellen doesn’t worry anymore. Sexy my ass. Winger is about as sexy as something out of a sewer. Bland as fek. :tv:

Afton might die? Oh dear. Hang on while I weep. Not.

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Lucy can have Beau and all will be well, sort of...
I liked JR and Mitch having a drink together, that sort of development in their relationship is nice to see :)

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic begins immediately after the events in "Conundrum," the last episode of the original "Dallas" story. It disregards both the TV movies and the TNT continuation.

With this story, I am hoping to give JR, Sue Ellen, and the entire Ewing family the ending I think they deserved.

"After All"

Part 54

JR watched Sue Ellen finish the last bite of her breakfast. He was glad to see her appetite returning.

"You're sure you're okay with me going into the office for a few hours?"

"Yes," Sue Ellen assured him. "I'm sure you have things that need your attention. Besides, Lucy and John Ross will be here soon and we'll be going down to see Christopher."

"I just don't want you to miss me too much," he teased her. "You seemed lost without me last night."

"Very funny, JR," she sniffed.

"Did you know Lucy couldn't have children?"

"Yes," Sue Ellen shifted uncomfortably. "There was a complication after a medical procedure."

"The abortion," JR nodded, "after that psycho raped her."

"My Lord. How much did Mitch tell you last night?"

"More than I ever wanted or needed to know."

"JR, she's very self conscious about it…"

"Don't worry. I won't bring something like that up in casual conversation."

Sue Ellen nodded and frowned. "About the DNA test…"

"I'll call James from the office."

"Alright, JR."

"Hey. I love you."

"I love you too, JR. More than I could ever put into words."

"Jenna?"

Jenna looked up from her coffee cup and almost choked when she saw who had just entered the kitchen. "Hello, Donna."

"I didn't know you were in town."

"I flew in last night."

"Oh. Listen, I was looking for Ray."

"I'm sorry, Donna. He's already gone. He took Lucy and John Ross to the hospital to see Sue Ellen and Christopher."

"Oh. Maybe I'll try to catch him there. I need to talk to him and I'm flying back to DC this evening."

"You're leaving Dallas so soon?"

"Yes. I only came because… well, it doesn't matter why. It was a mistake."

"Donna…" Jenna hesitated for only a moment, "would you like to sit down and have some coffee with me?"

"Yes," Donna smiled brightly. "I'd like that very much. Thank you, Jenna."

"I advise you strongly against doing this, JR," Harv muttered. "You don't even know if it's necessary and you won't know until we get the DNA test back."

"I have to do something, Harv. James is beside himself. And I can't…"

"You can't what?"

"I can't force Sue Ellen to raise my son with another woman. Besides, James and Debra Lynn and Jimmy are Beau's family. He doesn't even know me."

"Yes, JR, but offering money? It's a risky move. If they say no, they can claim you tried to bribe them in any future custody battle."

"I have to do something, Harv. I can't just sit around and hope things turn out for the best."

"It's the safest move, JR."

"When have you ever known me to play it safe, Harv? Call Cally's family. Find out what they want to walk away. And do it now."

"I think you two are cheating," Sue Ellen accused. "No way you beat me and Lucy fair and square three times in a row."

"Face it, Aunt Sue Ellen. You suck at spades."

"Yes," Sue Ellen laughed. "Yes I do."

"Have you seen Mommy?"

"Not for a couple of days," Sue Ellen told him. "Why?'

"She looks different," Christopher said sadly. "Acts different too."

"She's been through a lot, honey."

"Everyone has," Christopher reminded her. "You and John Ross are staying at Southfork, right? Forever?"

"Yes."

"Promise me, Aunt Sue Ellen. I don't want to be there alone with just Mommy and Daddy and Uncle JR!"

"Hey, I promise, Christopher. We'll be right there with you."

"Me too," Lucy leaned forward to hug her cousin. "I'll be there will you too."

Christopher hugged her back and cried softly. "I just don't want to be alone."

"I know it's hard for Ray knowing Andrew is close to Margaret, but she knows exactly who her father is."

"He just misses her," Jenna sighed. "It's not the same as it is with Lucas and Bobby. Bobby doesn't want to be a part of Lucas's life, but Ray wants to be a real father to Margaret."

"Nothing is stopping him except his pride," Donna reminded her. "He can come to see her in DC whenever he wants. And there isn't any reason why she can't come visit him in Switzerland."

"I think he never asked you because he was afraid you'd say no."

"I won't say no, Jenna. I want Ray to be a big part of our daughter's life. And you too. You're her step mother. She deserves to have a relationship with you."

"I would like that very much, Donna."

"Good," Donna smiled. "Now all we have to do is convince Ray."

JR looked at his watch and grimaced. "That should be the last of it," he told Marilee, pushing a pile of papers across the desk towards her. "I have to get back to the hospital."

"Any word on Cliff's will?"

"Not yet. But he probably left everything to his daughter. I imagine either Pam or Mitch will end up as trustee. I don't think we'll have a problem with either of them."

"I hope not. The last thing in this world Michelle needs is a long legal battle."

"I won't let it come to that," JR promised.

There was a brief knock and Sly stuck her head through the door. "JR? Harv Smithfield is holding on line three."

'Thanks, Sly," he reached for the phone. "Yeah, Harv? How did it go?"

"Not well, JR. And remember I warned you this could happen."

"Well, spit it out. What happened?"

"What happened was that Cally's father told me to take your money and shove it up your ass."

"Hey. Want some company?"

Mitch looked towards the door and smiled when he saw Lucy. "Only yours."

"How much longer?"

"The doctor should be here soon. Then, after he turns off the machine? Matter of minutes."

"I'm so sorry, Mitch," Lucy reached out to take his hand. "Truly I am."

"Will you stay with me Lucy? So I don't have to watch her die alone?"

"Of course I will," she sat down beside him and laid her head on his shoulder. "Of course I will."

"Well, JR, that certainly was stupid."

"I had to try, Sue Ellen. They don't care about the boy. They only want money."

"Yes. And they know the longer they hold out and the harder they fight, the more they'll get. You should have talked to me before offering them anything."

"I just wanted to solve the problem in a way that would keep you from having to deal with any of it."

"It's not an ordinary problem, JR. It's a child. YOUR child. Can't we at least agree that no matter what happens, we have to put his welfare...and the welfare of our son first? This time there's a lot more at stake than just our feelings, JR."

"Yes. You're right, Sue Ellen. I'm sorry."

"It's alright. I know you were only trying to protect me."

"Lucy and Ray both back at the ranch?'

"Ray is. He and Jenna are having dinner with Donna and then taking her to the airport."

JR made a sour face. "That ought to be a fun time. What about Lucy?"

"She's with Mitch. She's going to help him with the funeral arrangements."

"Damn I forgot all about Afton. Did she pass?"

"Yes. Mitch took her off life support this morning. She died a few minutes later."

"So much death and misery," JR sighed. "You said we needed to talk about Christopher?"

"Yes. But not tonight, alright? I am exhausted. I just want you to come over here and hold me and let me get lost in your arms."

"I can do that, Miss Texas," he smiled at her. "That I can do."

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Aw that was so sweet!! Loved the scene with Sue Ellen slurring her words, so cute.
:Clol:
I know right.

Is it bad I'm disappointed Ray didn't actually accidentally shoot Jenna?.
And regarding Afton, too early to break into a verse of ding dong the witch is dead?

Cool to see Miss Ellie and Clayton briefly.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards

"After All"

Part 55

"Please, doctor! My nephew is being discharged today! I need to be at home with him!"

"Mrs. Ewing…"

"I'll stay in bed! I'll take my medication. JR will watch me like a hawk! But he simply can NOT go home without me!"

The doctor looked over at jR, his eyes silently pleading for help.

JR rubbed his temples. He had a monster headache. He didn't like the idea of Sue Ellen leaving the hospital against her doctor's wishes. But..

She was deeply concerned about Christopher's welfare. He didn't seem to be adjusting well to Cliff's death and Pam's sudden return. He had specifically made Sue Ellen promise that she wouldn't leave him alone at Southfork with Bobby and Pam and JR. Since Pam might be discharged at any time and Ray and Lucy were taking John Ross to California for Cally's funeral, without Sue Ellen, Christopher would end up alone.

"All you are doing for her at this point is watching her. I can watch her just fine," JR finally spoke. "I say let her go home. Keeping her here against her will won't do anything but upset her. And you said yourself stress was bad for her condition."

The doctor shook his head and gave in. "Fine. But at the first sign of elevated blood pressure or increased pain, you are to come straight back to the hospital. Do you understand me, Mrs. Ewing?"

"Yes," Sue Ellen nodded solemnly. "I promise."

"Thank you, JR," she smiled at him once the doctor had left the room.

"I just hope you know what you're doing," he grunted at her. "This could turn out to be a very big mistake."

"I'm sorry I can't go back with you."

Jenna reached up and gently stroked Ray's cheek. "It's okay, Ray. I understand. Your family needs you right now."

"I'll fly home the minute we all get back from California."

"I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too," he bent his head and kissed her mouth softly. "Thanks for lighting a fire under me to work things through with Donna."

"Thanks for listening to what I had to say and being willing to compromise. I love you, Ray."

"I love you too, Jenna."

"Lucy? Did you hear me?"

"Yes," Lucy shrugged. "It all sounds fine."

"I thought about burying her in Georgia, but her life has been in California for a long time. Makes more sense to bury her there."

"I don't think it matters either way," Lucy told him. "But California is fine."

"Are you okay?" Mitch asked her, his voice a little concerned, "you seem... subdued this morning."

"I'm fine, Mitch. But I can't understand why you are spending more time worrying about where to bury Afton than you are what to do with Pammy!"

"I told you, Lucy. That's all been settled."

"Oh, yes. Boarding school. That's not good for her, Mitch! She's practically still a baby! She needs a family!"

"Lucy, we've been over and over this. I can't raise a child. I work long hours. She'd always be alone, or with a nanny. How is that any better than boarding school? Plus...Lucy you know how I feel about children! I can't raise her and the truth is I don't want to!"

"I do," Lucy whispered softly.

"You do what?" Mitch snapped.

"Want to raise her." Lucy tilted her head and lifted her eyes to lock with his. "She needs a family of her own, Mitch. So do I. Let us be family to each other."

"I don't know if this is a good idea, Bobby."

"Stop being so dramatic, Pam," Bobby snapped. "Where else are you going to go? An assisted living facility? In some random apartment with a full time nursing staff? You can't be alone. Southfork has plenty of room and plenty of people around to help take care of you."

"Have you even talked to Christopher about this?"

"No," Bobby admitted. "He'll adjust."

"Will he?" Pam wondered out loud. "Bobby, maybe we should slow down."

"They are discharging you tomorrow, Pam. We're out of time."

"But Christopher…"

"Will adjust!" Bobby repeated sharply.

Pam lowered her gaze and stared at the sheet on her hospital bed. It was a bad idea. Christopher hadn't been warm to her at all. She knew it would take time for him to trust her again.

Then there was JR. He had been kind to Pam after Cliff's death and had been a great comfort to Christopher, but Pam.knew there was no way the two of them could ever peacefully coexist under the same roof.

And Bobby…

He wanted her at Southfork, but it wasn't because he wanted to be with her. It was only because he wanted to make sure he was in control of her. He was very skeptical of her intentions and wanted to be sure she didn't take off again without warning.

"Pam, I insist. You're coming back to Southfork."

Pam raised her head and studied his eyes. She knew she didn't really have a choice.

"Alright, Bobby. I'll come."

Bobby nodded but didn't say a word. He sat back down in the chair beside her bed and turned his head to stare out the window.

James sucked in a deep breath. "John Ross, have you talked to anyone else about this?"

"No," John Ross said into the phone.

"Good," James sighed with relief. "Don't."

"Why? It's a good idea and you know it!"

"John Ross, you can't just make a DNA test say whatever you want it too!"

"My daddy has enough money and power to do whatever he wants."

"Maybe. But you know how secrets and lies end up always coming out! We would all be living a lie!"

"No one would know except me, you, and Daddy. We would never tell."

"What about your Mom and Debra Lynn?"

"They can't know. Not ever."

"John Ross...even if I was willing to consider talking to JR about this, he'll shoot it down. You know he will."

"You let me worry about Daddy. Just promise me, if he agrees you'll at least think about it. It's what's best for Beau. And everyone else too."

James was silent for a few minutes while he considered what to say next. John Ross had a point. As scary as it was that he had come up with such a scheme on his own, the idea had merit. "Alright, John Ross. If you manage to get JR on board, I'll consider it. But that's a huge if; you know that right?"

"I know," John Ross agreed.."But I have to try."

"Did you get Christopher settled?" Sue Ellen asked as JR came into the bedroom.

"Yeah. Lucy and John Ross are with him. They're watching a movie. How are you feeling?"

"Tired. But otherwise fine."

"You should get some rest," JR told her.

"JR, you never told me what happened when you talked to James about the paternity test."

"They had to get new samples from him and from Beau. It will be a few days before we have the results. Until then, Beau is to stay with James and Debra Lynn until I can make other arrangements."

"Other arrangements? Like bringing him here?"

"Sue Ellen…"

"Cally's family won't be quiet much longer, JR."

"I know," he confessed. "Right now I'm using your health and the family deaths to keep everyone at bay…"

"But time is running out, isn't it?"

"Yes," he admitted softly. "I'm sorry, Sue Ellen, but if we don't get those DNA results very soon, I'm going to have to bring Beau to Southfork."

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I’m so protective of Sue Ellen I know but I’m tired of all the responsibility falling to her. Found this chapter quite sad.

Why do I have a feeling that Pam isn’t really Pam? Something feels off there.

Can’t we just flush Afton down the toilet??

I don’t want Beau to be raised by Cally’s family so can’t he be raised by Mitch and Lucy? It’s bad enough having a constant reminder of the Vanessa nightmare without another reminder for Sue Ellen.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@Sarah

It does seem like everything falls on Sue Ellen's shoulders. JR and John Ross may try to do something about that...but it might backfire.

Last edited:

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards

"After All"

Part 56

Peter shook his head as he reviewed his notes of his latest session with Michelle. She'd spoken at length about her relationship with James Beaumont. The poor girl had genuinely loved him, but he had chosen another woman over her.

Of course, it hadn't helped that JR had been so determined to run Michelle out of his son's life. The bastard had strong armed and manipulated both of them in order to get his way. "Just like he does with everyone," Peter sighed.

The most interesting thing he had learned from Michelle today is that James had been very close to JR's second wife and blamed his father for the fact that she'd skipped town and disappeared without a trace.

"While carrying JR's child," Peter mused.

Peter had followed the Ewings closely in the press for years. He knew JR had remarried, that the marriage was short lived, and that the ex-wife had left Dallas never to return. He hadn't known there was a child. There was no mention of that in any of the papers.

"I'm betting no one knows," he mumbled to himself. "JR probably paid enough money to that girl to make it all go away."

"Sue Ellen probably has no idea there's yet another Ewing heir running around somewhere," he laughed bitterly, "but that'll be fixed soon enough."

According to Michelle, the reason she'd had to talk to James was that JR's ex had died and he needed his business partner to help him sort out custody of the kid.

"Finally, JR, your chickens are coming home to roost for good. This would be the perfect time for an old friend to show back up in Sue Ellen's life to offer her comfort."

His suspicions about Michelle had been right on target. She'd handed him his way back into Sue Ellen's life on a silver platter.

JR sank back on the bed and shook his head slowly from side to side.

John Ross had pulled him aside after dinner and asked to speak to him alone. JR had sat, quietly shocked, on the boy's bed while he had laid out his plan for settling Beau's paternity and his future.

Part of JR was alarmed that the boy had come up with such an intricate scheme. It was pretty devious. But it was also brilliant, and JR had to admit that made him more than a little proud.

"John Ross," he finally broke his silence, "I know you are only trying to protect your brothers and your mother and me, but we can't do this. It would be dishonest. If Beau ever found out the truth, it would be devastating to him."

"How would he ever find out?" John Ross asked. "No one would know but me and you and James. We would never tell."

"That's not true, John Ross," JR sighed. "Anytime you plot something like this, you have to involve other people. In this case, I'd need at least a lab tech, probably a doctor, a contact person in California to get the ball rolling…"

"Stop, Dad," John Ross sighed. "I know you, remember? I'm sure you could figure out a way to make sure everyone stays quiet."

"And your mother?" JR's voice was soft, "what about her, John Ross? You're asking me to lie to her. I promised I would never do that again."

"This is a good lie, Dad. Mom can't raise Beau and you know it. And neither can you. You barely managed to raise me. I was on my own a lot. It could have gone really bad you know."

"I know son, but your mother and I have both changed."

"Maybe," John Ross shrugged. "Time will tell I guess. But Mom will always resent Beau, whether she means to or not. She'll take it out on you. You'll get mad and frustrated and before you know it you guys will be back at each other's throats again. Beau doesn't need that kind of environment. And I don't either."

JR's eyes narrowed as he studied the boy's face. His words had hurt - but it was all true. In the deepest part of JR's heart he knew John Ross was right. Bringing Beau to Southfork would be the beginning of the end of his and Sue Ellen's new found happiness. "You've thought this through from every angle, haven't you."

"Yes," John Ross answered solemnly. "It's the best way, Dad."

"I need to think about it. We'll talk again in the morning."

"Okay, Dad. But remember, you don't have a lot of time. The DNA test could come back any time. Then it will be too late."

"Do you have everything you need?"

Sue Ellen waited for an answer. When none came, she asked again, a little louder. "Pam, do you have everything you need?"

"What?" Pam jumped a little. "Oh. Yes. Thank you, Sue Ellen."

"Well, if you think of anything, just put it on Teresa's shopping list and I'm sure she'll pick it up for you."

Sue Ellen waited for an answer, but when Pam remained silent, she shook her head and stood up. "I'd better get upstairs. JR will throw a fit if he thinks I'm not resting like I promised."

"Are you going to say goodnight to Christopher?"

"Yes. Of course."

"I've noticed him...clinging to you."

Sue Ellen sighed and tried to keep the annoyance out of her voice. "It will take him time to adjust to you suddenly being back in his life, Pam. He'll come around."

"Yes," Pam said sadly. "But will Bobby?"

"I… I can't answer that, Pam. You broke his heart. Then he went through so much with April. He has hardened his heart over the years. And I can't say I blame him."

"I don't blame him either," Pam replied flatly. "I just don't think me being here is doing anyone any good."

"Give it a few days, Pam. You can't know how things will work out based on just one night."

"Of course," Pam smiled a forced smile. "Well goodnight, Sue Ellen. Sleep well."

"You too, Pam."

Sue Ellen climbed the stairs and tried to push her troubled thoughts away. Pam and Bobby had been very cold to each other at dinner. Everyone has noticed, especially Christopher.

She had a suspicion things were going to be very tense at Southfork for a very long time.

JR's head was pounding. He'd had a vicious headache all day. He'd taken enough aspirin to choke a horse, but it hadn't helped.

Sue Ellen had been asleep for several hours. She was struggling with her own pain, and with the emotional turmoil of having to be between Christopher and Pam. On top of that, JR knew she was eat up inside with worry about Beau. She was exhausted, and JR was very concerned that one more piece or stress might push her over the edge and land her back in the hospital.

"Uncle JR?"

JR looked up to see Lucy standing in the doorway. "Hey, girl. Come on in and fix yourself a drink."

Lucy walked into the living room, fixed her drink, and had a seat on the sofa. "Rough night around here. Almost choked on all the tension."

"Yeah. I understand why Bobby insisted on bringing Pam to Southfork. Still, I wish he hadn't done it."

"Sue Ellen okay?"

"As good as she can be," JR shrugged. "At least she can sleep. What about you?"

"Me?"

"Just because I didn't say anything doesn't mean I didn't notice that something's bothering you."

Lucy raised her eyes to meet his. "I asked Mitch to let me adopt Pammy."

"I see," JR cleared his throat and shifted uncomfortably. "What did he say?"

"That he needed to think about it."

"It's a big decision," JR told her. "I understand why he wouldn't want to make a snap call."

"I'd be a really good mother to her, JR."

"I have no doubt you would, honey."

"Really?"

"Really. And if he says yes, you can count on my support and my help. Sue Ellen's too."

Lucy's face lit up, she jumped off the couch, and ran over to give JR a big kiss right on the lips. "Thank you. That means more to me than you could ever know."

"We're family, Lucy. You can always count on me. Always."

Lucy hugged him tightly and stood up straight. "I never would have thought it would be you."

"Me?"

"Yeah. The one person in my life I will always be able to count on. I love you, Uncle JR. Goodnight."

"Love you too, Lucy," he smiled as he watched her leave the room and climb the stairs.

Family.

That's what was most important. Sue Ellen. The boys. Lucy.

He has wasted so many years not doing right by them, but those days were over.

Things were going to be very difficult at Southfork for a while. Who knew what would happen with Pam? Bobby seemed completely oblivious to how her presence was stressing everyone out - especially Christopher. And now Lucy might be bringing Pammy into the mix, upsetting everyone's apple cart even further.

Sue Ellen was a strong woman, but JR knew there was a limit to how much she could handle. Bringing Beau here, forcing her to be his mother…

"I can't do that to her," he muttered to himself.

He took the last swallow of his drink then got up and walked to the phone. He picked it up and dialed the number before he lost his courage and talked himself out of it.

"It's JR. Yes. It's late here. I talked to your brother. I don't care for his plan but… in the end, it's best for everyone. You get to keep Beau, Cally's family has zero claim to the boy, and Sue Ellen and I can get on with our lives."

JR listened intently to the reply.

"I understand. But if we do this, we have to do it all the way. No one else can ever know. Not Sue Ellen and not Debra Lynn. You need to understand that you'd have to lie to your wife, James. You need to decide if you can live a lifelong lie."

JR paused to listen again then nodded.

"Alright. I'll see about making the arrangements first thing in the morning, then I'll give you a call. Yeah. Talk to you in the morning."

JR hung up the phone and shook off the sudden feelings of guilt and regret.

He didn't want to lie to Sue Ellen. But John Ross was right. This would be a GOOD lie.

"Sorry, Miss Texas. Sometimes we have to do things we don't like for the greater good."

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
This is going to backfire on JR, I can see it coming :huuh: It's just as easy for someone else to run a DNA lest JR isn't aware of, then bam, news is out...
Peter is about to get himself reported for an ethics violation.
Explain to me if this is wrong, JR is Beau's father and Cally is dead so custody reverts to JR which is messy. If James is Beau's father custody goes to him which is better, the thing is James and Cally never went to bed together so he's not Beau's father. What is the third option that would put Beau in the custody of the Harper brothers?

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This is going to backfire on JR, I can see it coming :huuh: It's just as easy for someone else to run a DNA lest JR isn't aware of, then bam, news is out...
Peter is about to get himself reported for an ethics violation.
Explain to me if this is wrong, JR is Beau's father and Cally is dead so custody reverts to JR which is messy. If James is Beau's father custody goes to him which is better, the thing is James and Cally never went to bed together so he's not Beau's father. What is the third option that would put Beau in the custody of the Harper brothers?
In JR's mind it's not about legal options. It's strictly about figuring out a way to leave Beau with James. JR has no doubt Beau is his son, but he wants to avoid having to take custody of him at all costs because he believes it will be too much for Sue Ellen to deal with. So on his mind, although he KNOWS he has absolute legal right to the child, he doesn't want it.

He also knows there's a chance that James is NOT his son, in which case, James would have no legal claim whatsoever if JR stepped aside. And even if they are brothers, there's always a chance that a maternal grandfather with a big family could convince a judge that he has more rights than a brother.

Remember, JR made a promise to Cally that he would let James raise Beau, and in his heart, he doesn't want the child.

But all his scheming to get a "right" result is bound to blow up in his face. We'll see

K

Karin Schill

Thanks for explaining about Pammy. I feel horrible for the little girl having lost both her parents. Poor Afton being killed off. I always like the character too! :(
But I am sure Lucy and hopefully Mitch, will raise the girl as their own. How old is she in this story?

Ouch I have a feeling that they will lie and say that James is Beau's father and it will somehow blow up in their faces. Maybe Peter will play a part here since he did find out about JR's son?

I am curious to see how this will all play out! :)

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards

"After All"

Part 57

JR watched Sue Ellen struggle with trying to zip her dress for a few minutes then chuckled softly. "Want some help with that?"

Sue Ellen blushed slightly and dropped her eyes in embarrassment. "Sorry, JR. I guess I've gotten used to not having a man around to help me with these little things. Don was gone so much…" she stopped in mid sentence and silently cursed herself for bringing up the other man's name.

JR growled his disapproval and held out his hand to her. "Come here," he ordered lowly.

Sue Ellen obediently walked over to stand in front of him. "I'm sorry, JR, I.."

Whatever she was going to say was lost as he bent his head and claimed her mouth in a hot kiss. When he finally lifted his head, he was rewarded to see her struggling to breathe and her eyes heavy with lust. "Turn around," he commanded.

Sue Ellen obeyed him again and shivered when she felt his warm lips on the back of her neck.

"Listen here, Miss Texas," his voice was low and silky, "I'll always be around to help you zip your dresses, and more importantly, to help you unzip them."

"JR.."

There was a brief, loud knock at the door followed immediately by John Ross bursting into the room. "You two better get downstairs. Uncle Bobby and Aunt Pam are fighting and Christopher is crying."

"I'll take care of it," JR sighed, zipping up her dress and moving away from her. "You go on and finish getting ready."

"Are you sure, JR?"

"Positive. I have to be at the office early. Be home around before dinner."

He grabbed his hat from the rack and moved to meet John Ross in the doorway. "Lead the way, son."

"You're up early," Michelle smiled, rising to pour Jack a cup of coffee.

"Had trouble sleeping," he answered truthfully.

"I suppose my couch isn't very comfortable."

"What? Oh. No. It's not that."

"What is it then?"

"It's just that…" Jack paused to organize his thoughts. "Michelle, we've been spending an awful lot of time together and…"

"And?" She prompted.

"I mean, where is this headed?"

"What do you mean?"

"I guess...look, if you are just looking for someone to help you get through a hard time, I get that. And I know it's awkward because I used to be married to your sister. But I was thinking…"

"What?"

"Would you maybe like to go out on a real date with me? I mean, it's okay if you don't, I just thought…"

Michelle laughed and held up her hand to stop him. "I'd love that, Jack. And I thought you'd never ask."

"This isn't about April!" Pam yelled. "I don't care one bit about April!"

"Well, I do, Pam!" Bobby shot back angrily. "What your brother did to her and her sister was pure evil!"

"All you have are accusations! You've always been so willing to believe the worst about Cliff!"

"And he proved me right time after time!"

"What in blue blazes is going on down here?" JR demanded, stomping into the dining room. "I could hear the two of you screaming all the way upstairs!"

"So what, JR?" Bobby snapped.

"So, Christopher can hear you too," JR said in a warning tone.

"Oh my God," Pam gasped and covered her face with her hands.

"I guess he has the right to know that his mother intends to cheat his step mother's sister out of what's rightfully hers."

"What?" JR asked, confused.

"Pam is in charge of Cliff's estate. She doesn't intend to honor Cliff's verbal agreement to pay Michelle back what Cliff stole from her and April."

"Is that so?" JR asked menacingly.

"All I said was that I couldn't take Bobby's word for it. I need to see proof before I start writing checks against my niece's future," Pam defended herself.

"Well, if proof is all you need, you'll have it when I get home this afternoon. In the meantime, I suggest the two of you do a better job minding your manners. There's a little boy up there listening to everything and crying his eyes out."

"That's rich coming from you, JR. How many nights did I have to confort John Ross while you and Sue Ellen screamed the house down?"

"Jesus, Pam!"

JR held up his hand and stopped Bobby from saying anything else. "It's alright, Bob. She has a point. I have to get to the office. The two of you try to cease fire for a few hours."

He turned on his heels and stalked through the foyer to the door. "I swear to God," he mumbled under his breath as he walked to his car, "it'll be a damn miracle if I don't wring that Barnes woman's neck!"

"You about packed?" Ray popped his head into the open door of Lucy's room.

"Yeah. I'll be ready to leave first thing in the morning."

"You seeing your parents while we're in California?"

"Yes. We're having lunch right before I visit with Pammy."

"Need an escort?"

"I don't need one," Lucy smiled at her uncle, "but I sure would appreciate one."

"Consider me at your service then," he moved to the bed and bent down to kiss the top of her head. "I'll be glad to get out of this house. Bobby and Pam are driving me nuts."

"God, me too," Lucy groaned. "I'm really worried about leaving Christopher here without me and John Ross."

"Yeah. Maybe we should take him. A change of scenery might be good for him. Plus, sure John Ross could use his support."

"It's a good idea. You think Bobby will let us?"

"I'll handle Bobby," Ray promised. "You just make sure you and both boys are all packed and ready to leave at dawn."

"Do you understand what I'm saying, Harry?"

"Yes, JR," McSween nodded. "Are you sure this is what you want?"

"Positive. How long will it take?"

"I have some good contacts in California. Several hours. I would need to fly out there. For this to work they'd need a DNA sample from you."

"If you take the Ewing plane, can you get it done today?"

"Sure. No problem."

"Good. Get to it then."

JR waited until McSween was out of his office then snatched up the phone. "It's JR. We're a go, James. All of this will be over in a few hours."

"What time should I be at the airfield?" Mitch asked.

"Early. Ray wants to be in the air by 8:00."

"I'll be there at seven. Pammy's nanny is expecting us around 4:00."

"Good. I can't wait to see her."

"Don't get too excited, Lucy," Mitch warned. "I haven't made up my mind about anything yet."

"I know Mitch. I have to get back to the boys. I'll see you in the morning."

Lucy hung up the phone and buried her face in her hands. Mitch just had to come around. He just HAD to. This was her only shot at having the family she has always dreamed of.

"I wish I could go with you, John Ross."

The boy looked up from the duffle bag on his bed and smiled. "It's okay, Mom. You're not well enough to travel. I'll be fine with Uncle Ray and Lucy."

"I know you will," Sue Ellen said softly. "I'm so sorry about Cally. I know you loved her very much."

"You loved her too," John Ross reminded her.

"Yes, I did."

"Everything is going to work out, Mom"

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing," John Ross shrugged. "Just that all the drama is over, everyone is out of the hospital, and me and Christopher will be back in a couple of days."

Sue Ellen studied her son's face carefully. There was something not quite right. She couldn't shake the feeling that he wasn't telling her something. "You're right, son," she finally said. "Everything is going to be just fine."

Jack growled and slammed his hand down on the bar. Why had he done it? Why had he asked Michelle out on a date?

Yes, she was beautiful and fun and they always had a great time together, but she was emotionally fragile. She had been through so much, and a romance with her sister's ex-husband was the last thing she needed right now.

He wanted her. But he didn't want to hurt her. And truthfully, he didn't want her to hurt him either.

He was going to have to figure out a way to cancel their date without hurting her feelings.

"Sorry, Michelle," he muttered under his breath. "I can't be your port in the storm."

JR took a deep breath and steeled his nerves. It was done. Harry had come through even faster than he'd promised. James had the paperwork already and his lawyer was informing Cally's family at this very moment.

It has been easy. Harry had flown into California, made contact with the lab, provided them with JR's DNA, and had them make the switch. It had only taken a few hours.

Now all that was left was for him to tell Sue Ellen. He prayed silently that he'd be able to go through with lying to her.

"It's a GOOD lie," he reminded himself.

He opened the front door and glanced over to see Pam sitting alone in the living room. He walked over to her and tossed a manilla folder on the seat next to her. "Here's your proof," he growled at her. "Is Sue Ellen upstairs?"

"No," Pam shook her head, making no move to pick up the folder. "She's out by the pool."

JR walked away without a word in search of his wife. He found her sitting alone at a patio table by the pool. "Hey, there."

"Hi, JR," she smiled at him. "You're home early."

"Yes. I have the DNA results. I wanted to tell you right away."

Sue Ellen's entire body stiffened. "Well?"

"Well...Sue Ellen…" he almost lost his nerve. Almost. But then he gathered his strength and pushed his guilt aside.

"Please, JR. Just tell me," she pleaded.

"I am not the biological father of Cally's son."

"What?" Sue Ellen gasped in shock. "How could that be? If you're not the father, who is?"

JR forced himself to meet her eyes as he spoke the lie. "James Beaumont is Beau's father."

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Wow!! Great update.

A good lie maybe... but if he had told her the truth she would have supported him. I understand what he is doing and I just hope that when she finds out - which she will - she understands he’s trying to protect her.

Ive said it many times but I’ve never been a fan of Pam because it seems everything has to be about her, on her terms, moan moan moan... have never understood the appeal - can we just put her in the attic or something and find Bobby a nice reasonable woman??

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'm honestly really into the Jack/Michelle thing for some reason, I think they're sweet together :)
Pam needs to see a therapist (not Peter) and both she and Bobby need to chill and take their issues elsewhere (not Southfork)

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards

"After All"

Part 58

Sue Ellen was in a state of absolute shock. It was impossible to believe. Cally wasn't the cheating type. The thought that she would take her husband's son into her bed shook Sue Ellen to her core.

But it had to be true.

She studied the report JR had handed her. The results were clear. JR and Beau were closely related relatives, but JR wasn't his father - James was.

"So James really is your son?" Sue Ellen asked.

"Yes "

"And that makes you Beau's grandfather?"

"Yes."

"How did they get your DNA?"

"When the first test came back inconclusive, they asked for a sample from me because I was the suspected father. I had Harry take care of it."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I should have," JR dropped his eyes to the ground. "But there was so much going on. Mandy and Katherine and… "

Sue Ellen stood up and walked to the edge of the pool. "Please stop hiding things from me because you think I can't handle the truth, JR."

"Alright, Sue Ellen." JR felt a deep sickness in the pit of his stomach. He almost confessed the whole truth to her right then, but he just couldn't bring himself to do it.

"JR?" Sue Ellen turned away from the pool and locked her eyes with his. "I just can't believe that Cally would be unfaithful. Especially not with your son! That is so out of her character!"

"It is," JR agreed softly. "But remember, Sue Ellen, I had already taken up with Vanessa. I was horribly cruel to her. She and James had been very close."

"So she went to him for comfort? That makes sense, but why did she never tell you? She was so frightened you would take Beau away. Why not tell you the truth and remove the threat?"

"Maybe she really believed I was the father, Sue Ellen. Who knows? It's not like we can ask her."

"No, we can't," Sue Ellen narrowed her eyes in suspicion. "How convenient."

"Sue Ellen, I don't know how it happened, but the proof is right there in black and white."

"Yes…."

JR heard the uncertainty in her voice. "Sue Ellen, this is GOOD news. James is Beau's father. Beau will have a family who loves him and you and I can get on with our lives."

"Yes," Sue Ellen said again. She sighed heavily and returned to the table to sink back down into her patio chair. "Alright, JR. Just promise me no more hiding the truth from me, okay?"

"Okay, honey," he almost choked on the words. "I promise."

Peter growled in frustration. Michelle had just finished a session. He had tried several times to lead her around to talking about JR, James, and the mystery baby, but she had been laser focused on working through her sister's death and her new relationship with Jack Ewing. He hadn't managed to get any new information from her at all.

He picked up the paper on his desk and read through the latest article about the Ewings again. Sue Ellen and Christopher had both been discharged from the hospital and according to the paper, they were both doing fine. There was a lot of speculation about the return of Pam Ewing. But there was nothing about JR's ex-wife, her death, or her funeral.

"I need to find her family," he muttered. "If this kid exists, they'll be the ones who know."

"Hello?"

"Hey, Michelle. How are you doing today?"

"Really well," Michelle smiled wide at the sound of Jack's deep voice. "How about you?"

"I'm fine. Listen about tonight…"

"I am so looking forward to getting out and having some fun," Michelle interrupted him. "I don't care where we go or what we do, I just want to have a nice, relaxing evening with you."

"I...I probably won't be able to get out of the bar very early. I don't have another bartender coming in until nine."

"That's fine, Jack. I'll just plan on meeting you at the bar around 9:30."

"Michelle…"

"Yes?"

"Nothing. See you at 9:30."

"Okay, Jack."

Michelle hung up the phone and sighed. She knew he had called to cancel, but she had no intention of letting him off that easy. Her appointment with Dr. Richards today had settled her feelings about Jack. Awkwardness aside, she liked him a lot and she wanted to see where things went with him.

"You can't run away for me, Jack," she said to herself, "no matter how much you want to."

"You can't be serious!"

Pam turned around slowly, squared her shoulders, and looked Bobby dead in the eye. "I am dead serious, Bobby."

"Ewing Oil was my daddy's company. It belongs in the Ewing family."

"Then I guess JR should have thought about that before his lies and schemes handed it on a silver platter to a Barnes!"

"Pam, you saw the evidence. Cliff stole a fortune from April and Michelle!"

"Yes. And I will write Michelle a check to compensate her. But she isn't getting Ewing Oil. I won't let her sell it to JR."

"Why, Pam? You have no use for it."

"I have every use for it. Christopher will inherit it someday. But JR will get nothing."

"I can't side with you on this, Pam."

"That's fine,Bobby," she brushed past him towards the door. "I'm getting used to that. As far as I can tell, you can't side with me on anything!"

JR entered John Ross's room and sat down on the bed. "Have you talked to your brother?"

"Yes."

"How did Debra Lynn take it?"

"Not as well as Mom did. He said there was a lot of yelling and screaming but he had managed to calm her down."

"I hope this doesn't backfire on us."

John Ross moved to the bed and took a seat beside his father. "It won't, Dad."

"How can you be so sure?"

"No one knows the truth but us, right?"

"Us. And Harry McSween. And a couple of lab techs."

"And you paid them all enough to make them keep their mouths shut, right?"

"Right," JR agreed. "I hate lying to your mother."

"Come on, Dad," John Ross rolled his eyes. "You don't seem to have any problem lying to her about everything else."

"That was before, John Ross. Not now."

"Yeah," John Ross said doubtfully. "I guess we'll see about that. But this lie is for the good of everyone. Don't try to be a hero to Mom and mess this up."

JR was taken aback by his son's words. He suddenly realized how deeply the boy distrusted him. "I won't son," JR said solemnly. "I promise."

John Ross turned his head away and shrugged. "I hope that's one promise in your life you actually mean to keep."

"Can I come in, or would you rather be alone?"

Bobby looked up and saw Ray standing in the living room doorway. "Come on in and have a drink with me," he invited his brother.

Ray walked over to the bar and fixed himself a drink. "I heard all the screaming earlier. Sorry if my idea to take Christopher to California set Pam off."

"Seems like everything sets that woman off," Bobby growled. "She screamed about that, then she screamed about her brother. All she does is shriek and scream."

"You know, Bob, she's been through an awful lot. She needs a lot of help... mentally. Katherine did a number on her brain."

"If I believed she wanted help and would benefit from it, I'd get it for her. She refuses to even admit she has a problem."

"What are you going to do?" Ray asked him. "Things can't go on like they are. Everyone around here is a nervous wreck because of her behavior - especially Christopher."

"I know," Bobby sighed. "I've been thinking a lot about it and I think it's time for her to leave Southfork."

"What?!" Ray gasped in shock. "Bobby, she isn't well enough to be on her own…"

"And I can't see how that's my problem," Bobby snapped. "I brought her here to help her, but she refuses to let me. I did my duty. Now I'm done."

"But, Bobby.."

"My mind is made up," Bobby cut him off. "When Christopher gets back from California, Pam will be gone. Period."

"JR?"

JR opened his eyes and tightened his arms around Sue Ellen when he heard her voice. "Yeah?"

"Can't sleep?"

"Having some trouble," he admitted truthfully.

"Did something happen between you and John Ross earlier?"

JR's body tensed involuntarily at her question. "Why do you ask?"

"You were both pretty subdued after dinner. Was he angry about Beau's paternity?"

"What? No. No, he was relieved about that. It's just…"

"What?"

"I did a lot of damage to that boy, Sue Ellen. I'm afraid he'll never trust me again."

"He will, JR," she assured him. "It will take time,but he will."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because he loves you so. And because I trust you. You won me over, JR. I know you'll never hurt me again. John Ross will realize the same time."

JR closed his eyes tightly and struggled with his conscience. This woman loved him so much and trusted him completely, even after all the lies. And here he was lying to her again. "Sue Ellen…"

"Shhhh," she brought her finger up and placed it on his lips. "Hush, JR. Today was hard on everyone. We'll get through it. I need…"

"What honey?"

"I need to be close to you. I need to feel you inside me, JR. Make love to me. Please."

JR swallowed hard when he felt his body respond to her words. He pushed everything else from his mind and rolled over, gently covering her body with his. He bent his head and nuzzled her neck as she arched against him. "Please!"

JR shifted his hips and entered her with one motion. She gasped and wrapped her her hands in his hair, pulling his head down to hers for a deep, searching kiss.

There was no more talking. They made sweet, gentle love to one another until they both were so exhausted that they drifted into a deep, heavy sleep in each other's arms.