Albert Finney dies aged 82.

Swami

Telly Talk Supreme
Reaction score
Medals
Albert Finney, British actor, dies aged 82

Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Finney was a well-respected staple of both stage and screen
Oscar-nominated British actor Albert Finney has died aged 82 after a short illness.

He was a five-time Oscar nominee who began his career at the Royal Shakespeare Company before making his mark in film.

His big film break came as "angry young man" Arthur Seaton in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.

He went on to star in Tom Jones, as Hercule Poirot in Murder on the Orient Express, Erin Brockovich and Skyfall.

A statement from a family spokesman said: "Albert Finney, aged 82, passed away peacefully after a short illness with those closest to him by his side.

"The family request privacy at this sad time."

Image caption Finney played Winston Churchill in The Gathering Storm
Finney's other memorable roles include Winston Churchill in The Gathering Storm, for which he won a Golden Globe and a Bafta.

He also played the title role in Scrooge and Daddy Warbucks in Annie.

Finney was nominated four times for a best actor Oscar and once in the best supporting actor category.

He was the recipient of two Bafta Awards from 13 nominations and received a British Academy Fellowship in 2001.

Image Copyright
The Rada graduate continued working on the stage despite his film success, earning Tony nominations on Broadway for Luther and A Day in the Death of Joe Egg.

He won an Olivier Award for Orphans and was part of the original three-man cast of Art.

Swami

Barbara Fan

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Sorry to hear this, his performance as Churchill in the Gathering storm is my fav and still can make me cry at the end

I always associate him with Murder on the orient express as it featured beloved Ingrid Bergman

RIP Albert Finney

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Adored him in Annie - very sad to hear this!!!

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
Reaction score
Medals
If you want to see evidence of just how good an actor Albert Finney was you need to watch Scrooge (1970). His portrayal of the lead character was simply outstanding. His passing is a great loss to the acting industry.

James from London

Telly Talk Superstar
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Medals

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
RIP
I remember him from Murder on the Orient Express. Great movie!