Album for cats released

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
This is not exactly 'Headline News' but I thought it was an interesting article.

Littersweet Symphony: Album for cats released

A musician has created an album of music for feline listeners, even though he is allergic to them.

David Teie, a scientist and cellist in the US National Symphony Orchestra, raised hundreds of thousands of dollars through crowdfunding and sold 10,000 copies of his record independently.

He was then offered a deal with Universal Music and his album Music For Cats is set for release on 28 October.

Mr Teie said that the music was created based on his scientific theory that cats appreciate music through the sounds they hear as kittens, such as their mother's purr or birds chirping.

He told the Press Association: "Not all cats respond - one will go right over to the speaker and one will just walk out of the room. I like the idea that critical taste applies to cats too. But I've seen videos where cats nuzzle up to the speaker or even curl completely around it"

"Very excitable cats are completely calmed and formerly abused or feral cats tend to respond best."

The music is played at shelters, where Mr Teie says it can cut down the time it takes for a feral cat to interact with humans.

"It is communication in the cat's language, of acceptance and understanding and the comfort that goes along with that."

He added that, while reptiles "don't have the brain structures for it, all mammals are ripe for music".

A spokesman for Universal Music said they were "thrilled to be part of this world-first project and break into the massive untapped market of non-human music fans".

"The possibilities are endless for more species-specific 'Music For' albums - dogs and horses could all be on the cards."

I don't have cats so I've no idea if they do respond to music?

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't have cats so I've no idea if they do respond to music?

Hey long lashes! Great to have you back btw!

My cats are pretty indifferent to most things most of the time, including me and the music I'm playing. So, I dunno, I'd like think they're enjoying what I play, but so far they haven't found a way to let me know. I could get them this cd but wouldn't be one bit surprised if they just walked off!

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
This is so cute! I'm not entirely sure if my cats would even care about this, though. They are pretty old and don't seem to do a lot anymore. But I do think that music is good for cats if they have to be left alone for a while. My mom always puts on classical music for her fat, angry Siamese cat when she is gone. But Lucy usually just ends up back in her cat stroller anyway.

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Hey long lashes! Great to have you back btw!
Hi Kris Richard :wave: its really great to see you too!

I could get them this cd but wouldn't be one bit surprised if they just walked off!
I couldn’t ever imagine cats being interested in music which is why this article intrigued me. I also wondered if unknown to me they really are? or maybe this is just a new theory? If someone brings out a CD for dogs I don’t think our dog would take any notice either.

Will it be available on CD?
I would think so.
Maybe one day in the future we could do a Top Ten of our Pets favourite music :lol:

My mom always puts on classical music for her fat, angry Siamese cat when she is gone.
Thats a good idea to help him feel less lonely and one that I hadn’t even thought of. Your Mums cat sounds like a character :)

I'll be trying it out today to see what kind of reaction I get from them.
Have you had a chance to try it out yet? when/if you do, please can you let us know if they liked it :D

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
It does work. I've had cats for many years and they love a bit of classical :dance:
That’s interesting to hear and especially that your cats even have a preference for classical music.:D

Boots didn't even flinch

Millie was totally taken by it, first looking up at the screen, then jumping on the desk trying to get behind it.

Your cats are gorgeous Ome!!
Thank you for posting the pictures and also for testing this music out on them too :)

Millie was totally taken by it, first looking up at the screen, then jumping on the desk trying to get behind it.
Oh my, that’s amazing to hear and now I’m even more fascinated by this subject. I’ve even got some of my friends testing this out on their cats :lol:

I’ve always loved how music can reach any human no matter what their abilities are and I’d never given much thought to animals enjoying music, now I’m really enthusiastic to go and discover more about this.

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Hi Kris Richard :wave: its really great to see you too!

I couldn’t ever imagine cats being interested in music which is why this article intrigued me. I also wondered if unknown to me they really are? or maybe this is just a new theory? If someone brings out a CD for dogs I don’t think our dog would take any notice either.

I would think so.
Maybe one day in the future we could do a Top Ten of our Pets favourite music :lol:

Thats a good idea to help him feel less lonely and one that I hadn’t even thought of. Your Mums cat sounds like a character :)

Have you had a chance to try it out yet? when/if you do, please can you let us know if they liked it :D
Yeah, Lucy is something else alright! As long as everything is done her way, she is nice. But the problem is that it can be very hard to know what her way is exactly. Then it can get ugly!

Jessie

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I know my cats respond to TV they hate when I put on Walking Dead the Walker sounds scare them. They also respond to loud yelling, and my one cat gets scared if she hears gun shots on a TV show. They don't seem to do much when I'm listening to music but if you dance that gets their attention.