Alexis Enters SUNSET BEACH

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
Like would that have been happening in 1997 in California?
Remember this is Aaron Spelling we are talking about here? At least Derek was really a twin and not the ridiculous thing they do now where you can wear a mask or surgically alter yourself a la Thunderball

tommie

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
Like would that have been happening in 1997 in California?
IIRC, it's still a thing in a lot of states, hence why so many go to Las Vegas for a quickie marriage.

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
Well the madness continues on Terror Island. The killer, Derek who is Ben's evil twin has now killed Elizabeth and Jade. Everyone got sort of split up on the island and everyone suspects each other. Prior to this Jade and Virginia cooked everyone dinner, and the killer sneaked in and put some kind of drug in the soup. This had most people hallucinate terrible visions. Their worst fears. Tim, sees Meg's face covered in blood, Gabby see's Mark as her rapist father, Michael relives the day he shot Virginia's husband and Vanessa see's herself in the mirror horribly disfigured. The first hint of her upcoming Martin's Syndrome story.
After the effects wear off they all decide to stay together and stay in groups if they must spit up. A group stay at the house and try to build a fire and get blankets and stuff so they can all stay in the same room. A group went back to the boat to get supplies? Or something I don't remember. While they are split up, Derek disconnects the power at the house and terrorizes Meg, Virginia, Vanessa and Tim for what seems like 1678 days and nights. There is a lot of SCREAMING in the dark. Ice picks coming threw the walls. Fights in the kitchen, running up stairs, hiding in wardrobes. It's great. He almost kills meg but finally they all sort of fight him off and he goes out the window...

To attack gorgeous lovely Mark and in the scuffle Mark rips off the mask which revealed Ben to be the killer as nobody knows about Derek. Mark managed to fight him off and got away. Well for now. I know he dies very soon.
The other group on the boat also discover blood below decks, and then Casey and Sean discover explosives and what looks like a bomb with a timer on it! Dun Dun Dun!
I summed a whole lot of episodes up very quickly there, it was much, much, much, more drawn out.

Meanwhile... Back at Sunset Beach. Caitlyn went to an adoption agency and was initially hopeful then it dawned on her that it would be a long process and she only has the less than 9 months to pull a rabbit out of a hat, so to speak.
While at the agency she meets a young pregnant woman, who comes in and then leaves nervously. I wana say her name is Lindsey, it's probably not but hey ho. So long story short Caitlyn befriends her and finds out that she cant afford the baby, her boyfriend left her, her mother is sick and needs ten thousand dollars for treatment. Yea, I thought scam too, but Caitlyn's not so bright. She immediately agrees to illegally adopt the baby and give her the money she needs for her mother. They agree to meet later that night under the pier where Caitlyn will give her the money. I mean how stupid is Caitlyn. Why giver her the money before the baby is born?
Anyway Caitlyn goes and gets the money and comes back later that night, she gives the girl the money, but then the girls boyfriend shows up saying its his kid too and he wants the same amount of money....Really! Thankfully Annie Douglas had been following Caitlyn all day as she knew she was acting weird and had earlier decided to get in with both Caitlyn and Sean in order to try and help her get closer to Gregory. So Annie shows up like a bad ass bitch saying she called the cops already and that they would both be arrested for extortion.... Bonnie and Clyde beat it! Phew!

So then Annie takes Caitlyn to a coffee shop and asks her what the hell is going on, and she's explains the whole long winded convoluted storyline. And yes it does sound like a ridiculous soap plot but Annie takes it all in. Now Annie is Caitlyn's best friend and is going to be a bridesmaid at her wedding, yes, really.
So now Annie is going to work on Caitlyn to keep Olivia and Gregory apart so she can put the moves on him. What a tangled web she weaves! I love it.
Now I think I remember that Annie was complicit in the baby swop storyline which is coming up. I just cant remember at all the details of it, but I cant wait to see how it all plays out.

During all of this Olivia is battling her feelings for Gregory, and Gregory is heart set on winning his wife back. Dr Tyus has revealed to Olivia that she is having a son. It could be Cole's or Gregory's though. Olivia remembers that she lost her first child which was to be a son, before Caitlyn was born. And that she and Gregory had planned to name the child after him. When Sean was born it was still to soon after to name him after his father, so now this could be the time to have a little Gregory.

I am just wondering where Ben is while all this is all going on forever. He must be starving and dying of thirst somewhere?

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
I am just wondering where Ben is while all this is all going on forever. He must be starving and dying of thirst somewhere?
This is SuBe time. He's probably still parking his car.

The killer, Derek who is Ben's evil twin
The audience knows all this? Or are they making the audience think this is really Ben and will reveal the twin later on?

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
The audience knows all this? Or are they making the audience think this is really Ben and will reveal the twin later on?
No the audience doesn't know this yet. So when Mark pulls off the mask everyone assumes that Ben is the killer.

Mark ends up killed by Ben, a hook threw his back. He stumbles out of the woods and falls at Meg's feet. Before he dies he whispers to Tim something. They try to save him but it's pointless he's bled so bad. Casey and Gabby arrive and then it all gets really horrible. The reactions to him dying there are pretty brutal. It's a lot of screaming and crying. I don't mean brutal in a bad acting way, in fact it's pretty terrifying and sad they are really going for it. For a daytime soap it's pretty dark stuff even if it is melodramatic. Mark and Gabby had been very close since before the rape trial, and there was the beginnings of a relationship developing between them. He had confessed his feelings about Gabby to Meg and she told him to tell Gabby, which he did, on the island! And she felt the same and then... He's dead.

Also it's amazing what these soaps can do with a tiny "outdoors" set. The whole exterior of the island is a set that must be about the size of my bedroom with some trees and bushes. It's pumped full of dry ice for misty coastal effect and shot as night time and it's really effective.

Last edited:

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
Tim reveals to Meg, Casey and Gabby what Mark said before he died, that Ben was the killer. Meg goes off on one screaming at Tim, that Ben isn't the killer. That she would have known if Ben was the man attacking her in the house. That she knows it's not Ben, she's engaged to marry him. Ben is not the killer!! Well, ok, Meg, but haven't you just spent the last say, 150 episodes thinking that Ben killed his wife Maria? So.… Um..... Shut up Meg.

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
Wait! Hold up! Olivia and Bette are having a conversation at Bette's where Olivia has been staying. They are discussing her getting back with Gregory. The doorbell goes and Bette answers it and it's Aaron Spelling at the door!!

I have no memory of this.

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
Haha! Aaron Spelling is playing Vincent Duke, a former tycoon ex-husband of Bette's. It's funny because Spelling's production partner was named E. Duke Vincent.

Bette says to him, she cant believe he lost it all "When I think about the Dynasty that you built! And what about the law firm? Burke's Law?" He replies that Burke sold out, she interrupts him, "To those two shyster's Starsky and Hutch on Melrose Place?" Yea he says. "Well what about the place in Beverly Hills, ya know the one with the great zip code?" 90210? It's gone too.

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
So... After Derek killed Mark, he also killed Grogan the creepy old ship captain and dressed his corpse in his clothes and mask. He even sliced Grogan's leg in the same place where Tim had wounded him fighting him off. Then Meg and the rest of them stumble upon Grogan's body and they all think he's the killer. All except Tim, who's still convinced it's Ben. Meanwhile we see Derek hiding out somewhere bandaging up his wounded leg then he looks in a mirror that actually has two panes of mirror in it, showing two reflections as he says, "It's time to change" subtle... I like it. :) Then he goes back to the house pretending to be Ben. But not before passing Mark's dead body and finding Meg's silk scarf that had fallen from her hair while she was crying. He picks it up and holds it in his fists like he's about to strangle someone, then he smells it. WHACK JOB!!!

He goes back to the house and they all start dramatically explaining to Ben the nightmare that just happened, Tim asks him where he's been all this time, and accuses him of killing Mark. Ben lunges at Tim and threatens to kill him. They are broken up. Then as quick as you can say "This Plot Is Finished! they are all packed up and off the island. Like honestly the very next scene they are all at Sunset Beach police station! Detective Ricardo is on the case.

Tim wants to make a statement about Marks last words... but they do that soap thing where everyone just stares at each other for a bit the cut to something else with no plot progression. They take Sean into one of the interview rooms and Aaron Spelling is in there, he's been arrested for supposedly stealing a watch. An expensive $5000 watch that Bette gave back to him because he was down on his luck.
It just dawned on me that Spelling's little name drop is actually a joke reference to him not having a hit on prime time and now doing a daytime soap. After he left Bette's apartment she says something like, "0h Vinny... You'll always be number 1 to me" :)
Sean asks him what he's in for and he tells him and says he's lost everything but soon he's gonna get back his Dynasty and be back on top again! Now that this has been said, it reminds me of a couple things I had read in the late '90s about DYNASTY possibly returning. This was before TITANS came out. I have always wondered if Spelling tried to get DYNASTY back on TV around 97? I distinctly remember reading a couple of bits in gossipy mags about it.

Last edited:

Artur

Telly Talk Member
Reaction score
Does Caitlyn Richards have any life aside from Cole and a baby? Any hobbies, interests, education, business or even plans for working at her daddy's? Does being partnered with a hot guy always turn young rich women into "nolifes" with a procreation as a leading goal?

When I first watched it I thought the killer was Eddy. He had been involved in a creepy stuff before and was practically absent during the Terror Island episodes.

tommie

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
When I first watched it I thought the killer was Eddy. He had been involved in a creepy stuff before and was practically absent during the Terror Island episodes.
I assume that was consciously done by the writers to mislead the viewers so that the revelation of it actually being "Ben" would be more shocking.

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
Does Caitlyn Richards have any life aside from Cole and a baby? Any hobbies, interests, education, business or even plans for working at her daddy's? Does being partnered with a hot guy always turn young rich women into "nolifes" with a procreation as a leading goal?

Caitlyn has no identity at all outside of being "pregnant" and being with Cole. She doesn't seem to have any friends really. She's getting married soon and she was supposed to have a friend from college as her bridesmaid but she cancelled. So Annie's doing it now and they are friends to suit the baby swop story.
It occurred to me the other day that Meg is another one that doesn't have any reason for being except for Ben. It's like these women are just obsessed with being in a relationship, obsessed with the man in their life. It's all consuming. I know that in these kind of soaps it's usually only what's propelling the plot that's seen but it's weird that they don't really have anything going on outside of that.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
It's too bad none of the other soaps snatched Clive Robertson up after SuBe ended. He did a pretty good job of playing good and evil twins, which not every actor can pull off

Artur

Telly Talk Member
Reaction score
It would be much more interesting to watch Meg as a leading character if she was more of a feisty farm- girl with temper, not a naive dreaming princess from Kansas. She should be more offensive to stand up against Annie and kick her diva's butt.

Why is Virginia so obsessed with Michael anyway? What is so special about him that makes her go to extremes? And why were they afraid to mix afroamerican characters with the rest? That was the 90's after all. Virginia holds on to Michael as if he was the last black guy on earth and she was not allowed to date anybody of different race. She even ignored Casey and his abs.

Last edited:

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
And back I go to Sunset Beach, and on Cole and Caitlyn's wedding day no less. Although who am I kidding this could be at least 9 days until Caitlyn gets down the isle. Especially as on her wedding morning Caitlyn answers the door to Sister Beatrice in full all white wimple and robes. Jesus... Literally Jesus wouldn't wish that on anyone in the California heat. Sister has come to see how Caitlyn is after telling Cole about loosing her baby.... Yea Sister, about that....

In other news Olivia and Annie are bridesmaids and despite being given the exact same dress to wear the results are very different. A long sleeve, full length empire gown in Aubergine no less! Well Olivia is 9 months pregnant in hers and Annie's had the length lobbed off hers to make it into a sixties-a-gogo baby doll mini dress.
Cole has had his apartment above the waffle shop broken into by one of Jade's con-men buddies. I got some nice shots of Cole in a towel being wrestled. Which reminds me...
A few episodes ago Cole was going for job interviews and one the women interviewing him dazed off into some fantasy daydream where he was a male stripper. It was very very enjoyable.

Sean having a conversation with Gregory says Caitlyn will be married in 1 hour! Lets see how long that actually takes!

This episode we have also been introduced to SEXY Father Antonio who will be marrying Cole and Caitlyn and is Ricardo's brother. Caitlyn just went to confession and confessed all to him but he doesn't know who she is.
I guess Mark and Paula left at the same time and him being killed off and there has been passing reference to Paula leaving because Ricardo could not forgive her for not believing that he didn't rape Gabby. They left making room for SEXY Father Antonio I guess. I notice that now they are trying to push Gabby and Ricardo together as a couple and I do remember that but I think it's an awful idea.

Ben (Derek) has just given Meg a replacement engagement ring as she lost hers on the island. Speaking of Derek, his serial killer story makes no sense. Like why would he just want to randomly kill those people on the island. And if he wanted to kill Meg he could have done it at any time. He lives with her 24/7! I get that hating his brother is his motivation, mad as that is. But it's a lot of effort and madness to get revenge. And where is Ben? It's been weeks now. Also he is also an adept professional makeup artist too as he has covered over the gash in his leg with some fancy prosthetics and makeup so as not to be detected. Where did he learn all these skills? He's an actor, conman, killer, assassin, makeup guru, whackjob. I doesn't make any sense!

The church set, and all rooms in it are a redress of the convent set where the nuns rescued Caitlyn. I also just noticed that the hallway of the apartment block where Virginia's elderly friend lives is a redress of the upstairs hallway in Ben's house that leads to Ben's bedroom.

Eddie is a strange character like he's apparently main cast but doesn't really have any storyline ever and just pops into random scenes at random times. I couldn't believe when I read a few years ago that Peter Barton who plays Eddie had a rich male fan that left him a lot of money and property in his will. Apparently he was just a fan and had never even met him and yet left a large amount of money and property. That's a soap story in itself.

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
SEXY Father Antonio is getting all the tea today! So far in to his confession booth have been Caitlyn, followed by Cole, followed by Oliva all recounting their various dastardly deeds. Confessing adultery with your girlfriends mother, confessing possibly being pregnant with your daughters boyfriend's child. Faking pregnancy to keep your fiancé. Those are just the tip of the lying iceberg. SEXY Father Antonio is drowning in all this tea! He's looking like he wasn't prepared for this. Like he just popped into the booth to pick up his bible an then this all happened. I mean he's got a wedding to do in less than an hour!

Caitlyn never wears her hair up and now she does on her wedding day looking like Josephine Bonaparte. Not a good look! And now she's had a change of heart and wants to confess all to Cole and say she's not pregnant. After all that crazy for months! Now she backs out of it all. Annie's about to slap her upside the head, and I'm about to throw my laptop at the TV.

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
IIRC, they wrote out both Laura Harring and Leigh Taylor Young to make room for Ricardo's extended family (Antonio & Carmen) and Meg's family (her parents took over the pancake place if I remember correctly). I can only assume they did it in an attempt to add a family element.