• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Alexis Enters SUNSET BEACH

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Well it's arrived and I just put in the first disc to see what the quality was like and it's pretty good. Fine for a show shot on video in the '90s. I only intended to do a quality check but I found myself all wrapped up in this stupidity. I remember watching this very first episode one Saturday morning. I had no idea what it really was. An omnibus edition, what I thought was a never ending TV movie. It wasn't great, there were too many characters to be a film. Every one was good looking. I was hooked, it was just man candy everywhere.

That still holds right now. I remember when I first watched all those years ago I recognised Lesley Ann Down, as Olivia Richards but I wasn't sure where from. Anyway she was a fabulous mess. Like Sue Ellen Ewing in LA with bigger hair and more attractive version of JR as her husband. Cleary that's who Olivia and Gregory Richards are modelled on.

Straight away I loved Meg. When she sped away in that convertible in Kansas after finding her too hot husband to be, fooling around with her bridesmaid. So off she goes to Sunset Beach California to find her cyber BF Ben Evans...
And thus the original main story of the show is born.

I am absolutely over joyed to be watching this show again, in good quality and not on YouTube.
I will be alternating between Sunset Beach and Dark Shadows. Those are my shows this year, I couldn't be happier.

With both shows having like well over 900 episodes I wont be posting episode by episode. Just random ramblings when the feeling takes me. And probably some drooling over all the man candy...
Like this thing of beauty...
upload_2019-1-23_19-51-20.jpeg upload_2019-1-23_19-51-58.jpeg

Damn you Terror Island!!! But that's all to come.

Last edited:

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
CB56978D-BE80-4CED-843F-C0DAAA0DA56D.jpeg
Seriously Ben’s painting of Maria his lost at sea wife is the worst soap portrait ever! It trumps even Fallon #2 on Dynasty.

I’m only on the second episode and so far Meg’s moved to Sunset Beach, got mugged by homeless Tiffany and then falls in the ocean gets saved by lifeguard Casey with the abs. Goes to hospital, recovers and then continues her quest to find SB. Who’s really BE!

I’ve also met Aunt Bette! Who I adore and Annie and Eddie. Then there’s Mark. Dreamboat Mark!

Annie and her Daddy,Del Douglas’ relationship is great! He’s so terrible and awful to her. She’s this fun vampy seductress and then when he’s around she turns into a little girl lost.

So far annoying characters are Paula and Ricardo... snooze central. And the snooty doctor at Sunset Beach hospital who ends up in a thing with Casey.

Ohhh what have I done? I’ve passed the point of no return!

Last edited:

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I wish I could post videos in this thread of some of the more ridiculous scenes.
So, where I am up to now... Annie's sadistic father, Del Douglas, who was having an affair with Olivia Richards, and her magnificent wig (Seriously this is the soap wig to end all soap wigs!) has been shot dead. A mystery who dunnit ensues. Everyone thinks it's Annie, I cant remember it all but I don't think it ends up being her. I know her father comes back in some dream sequences.

Meanwhile, Vanessa, the most annoying reporter in the known universe is on the case. First she shows up right in the hospital when Del is being worked on my by doctors. Then she later just barges in on the crime scene. Just crosses the police line and keeps sticking her Dictaphone in everyone's faces and asking stupid questions. Do one Vanessa...

Annie is being weirdly interrogated about her fathers murder in the foyer of the police station, along with her lawyer, Gregory Richards, about 5 cops and Ben. And there's a twist in the plot, one of Olivia Richards' hairs has been found at the crime scene... I wonder was it synthetic? Yea Olivia has been having an affair with Del, and was to leave Sunset Beach with him. Ohhhh, she just pulled a gun out of her drawer... Did Olivia do it?

And... Dora Mae from Dallas is the chief of police in Sunset Beach.

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I know I'm alone in this but I really enjoyed the first nine or so months of this show because it was so Aaron Spelling 90s prime time soap done for daytime, of course, when that didn't work they tried to streamline it into more of a daytime soap in various ways, while also having outrageous plots of course like Terror Island.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I think they may have kidnapped the Melrose Place guitarist.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
There were two head writers - co creators, and they had both worked on Santa Barbara and then on Models Inc, and Melrose Place, I cant remember their names right now. And then the other main writer was Charles Thee Pratt Jr. The Soap Destroyer.

Last night I watched the first full disc, it was 9 episodes!!! That's some going... I was so tired at work today.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Good news... Cole Deschanel has showed up!

Bad news... He's being played by Ashley Hamilton.

More good news... It's only 15 episodes and then this shows up to replace him.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
In other news.... Annie has been arrested for the murder of her father. Ya see, Aunt Bette had tried to protect Annie, by burning Del's wallet in the her fireplace. And then like the entire Sunset Beach police department showed up to search the place and found a remnant of evidence in the fireplace.
If I ever get a gig on a soap I'm gonna insist my apartment set doesn't have a fireplace.

Meg and Ben continue to be in the dark about their respective online identities. It's like some Meg Ryan movie plot from 1996 but on slow play. Speaking of the '90s these fashions are a real flash back. I didn't remember that much blow dried hair in the '90s. There are a lot of like big bouncy '60s style flips, was that a thing in the mid '90s? I guess this is soap though. I cant wait to Meg's semi mullet grows out though and she stops dressing like a bumpkin. I remember her being gorgeous and she's not serving that, not just yet anyways.
The deep is the place to be in Sunset Beach and I don't know why... Really. It plays elevator musak. On the other hand Mark is the bar tender there so I would probably spend all of my time there too.

In other more horrific news... Caitlyn and Sean Richards have just had a cringe worthy conversation about Sean loosing or not loosing his virginity, at The Deep. She is dressed like a CNN news caster for no real obvious reason? She's meant to be about 18? She's wearing a red blazer and pearls and a '60s flip. I'm not sure but I think the fact that Sean is played by Randy Spelling is the real horror in the situation. But really who knows?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Ashley Hamilton = The worst actor on the show...
And none of his clothes fit him. Like why is everything he wears size XXL when he's clearly a bean pole.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
OMG... I had totally forgot about the subplot where Elaine, Paula's mum had been told her baby was dead, and then Del Douglas stole. I'm still hazy on the details, it's been over 20 years! But I seem to remember a flash back that was repeated about 600 times of Olivia, Aunt Bette and Elaine? Digging a grave in the mist like 3 witches. Or something along those lines.

It's crazy that it's been so long since I have seen these episodes but it keeps coming back to me.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards

I loved Sunset Beach so I wondered how I'd no recollection whatsoever of Ashley Hamilton's stint as Cole. But now that you point out he was only in it for 15 episodes, that makes sense.

I'd also forgotten how cute Mark was. There was talk that he was going to be the show's 90's token gay character until they Terror Islanded him off the canvas.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I remember wanting to be Timothy Adams when I grew up. Alas, I am not blonde.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I just don't understand why nobodies clothes fitted them in the '90s. Did men's clothes only come XXXL?

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sunset Beach..... First memory: Gregory Richards. Second memory: Gregory Richards. Third memory: Gregory Richards. Then everything else.
I saw every episode. I liked more characters though, but Greggypoo was the Man.
:love4:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)

:danc::danc::danc::danc::danc::danc::danc::danc::danc::danc::danc::danc: