Andre Previn dies

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17342940

The conductor and composer Andre Previn has died at the age of 89.

His manager told the BBC he died at his home in New York on Thursday morning.

Previn is best known for ditching a lucrative career in Hollywood to pursue his love of classical music as a jazz pianist.

During his lifetime he won four Oscars but many will remember him attempting to perform Grieg's piano concerto with Morecambe and Wise.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
Reaction score
Medals
I remember him best for a awesome interview he did with Ella Fitzgerald in the 1980s. During the interview he challenged Ella to make up a song on the spot. Andre moved from the interviewer chair and ad libbed a tune on the piano and Ella, hearing the tune for the first time, made upsuperb lyrics to go with it and delivered the song brilliantly. The way they both worked together was TV gold and demonstrated just what an amazing jazz pianist Andre Previn was which up to that point was something of which I wasn't aware.

Last edited:

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, this is the first I've heard about this. I've been a fan of Previn for years, his recordings of Rachmaninoff's second symphony and Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker" are among my favorites. He had a very long, productive and versatile career.

Barbara Fan

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Such a talented man - RIP Andre Previn

Its one of my big regrets that I never learnt to play the violin, to be abe to make it sing and come alive is such a wonderful thing and im too old to learn now.

I will always remember his as Andre preview on Morecambe + Wise in such a classic sketch.

And I never ever got why he married Mia farrow - or the appeal!!