Arsenal beat Liverpool on penalties to win Community Shield

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
Reaction score
Medals
I know it's only a friendly and I know Arsenal won on penalties but Arsenal have picked up the first trophy of the season when they won the Community Shield at Wembley.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored a superb goal and netted the winning penalty in a shootout as Arsenal beat Premier League champions Liverpool in the Community Shield at an empty Wembley Stadium.

Liverpool striker Rhian Brewster, brought on in stoppage time, hit the crossbar with his penalty - the only one not converted in the shootout.
Aubameyang's curling strike gave FA Cup winners Arsenal the lead in the first half before Liverpool substitute Takumi Minamino equalised after the break.

Minamino's flicked pass to Mohamed Salah bounced back kindly for him to slot home from close range.

There was a quick VAR check for handball by Salah but the replay showed no clear contact.

It is the second year in a row Liverpool have lost on penalties after Manchester City's victory in 2019.

Arsenal beat Liverpool on penalties to win Community Shield

Barbara Fan

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
yes well done Arsenal, although i hate when games go to a penalty shoot out

I cant remember Arteta when he played for Rangers - but i love his hair :)

Sorry Messi is staying with Barca! Would love to see him on UK soil, such a wonderful player.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
Reaction score
Medals
I don't remember anything about Arteta's career until he was at Everton. I think his career up until that point was distinctly average.

I'm in 2 minds about Messi. Although it would be great to see him in the Premier League, I fear at 33 he may be approaching his best before date so he may not be able to live up to expectations. At Barcelona, his history of success at the club compensates for any possible drop in form.

Barbara Fan

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
I fear at 33 he may be approaching his best before date
Id still love to see him play, he is probably the best footballer Ive seen in my lifetime and such a talent, a team player too and not just out for himself like Mr Ronaldo