baby elephant videos

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've been watching a lot of baby elephant videos lately. So cute and sometimes terribly sad.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Baby elephants are simply the cutest creatures ever made by Jehovah:

No one seems too happy inside a zoo, even one in Prague, even a mere 3-day old:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Questionable feeding method -- the milk bar:

This is much better (although these are awfully large babies and, hence, not quite as adorable):

My fixation has already become something of an illness -- I went out and bought coconut milk today, and everything around my house now looks to me like a baby elephant...

Last edited by a moderator:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Baby elephant screams in terror at a goat:

Humiliated youngster elephant screams out multiple times after being throttled by an adult for taking more than its share of water during a drought:

Intrapachydermal abuse: bad tempered adult hits tiny baby twice, eliciting screams!

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
After I saw this video, I had a dream that there was an orchestra with all the instruments played by elephants --- and animal rights activists were protesting the exploitation of the creatures, with one poster reading; "'Just because an elephant can do algebra doesn't mean he has to!"

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Horrible video of an elephant mother who slips into her baby's area, opening a gate to do so, and tries to kill her -- kicking and stomping and slinging the tiny calf repeatedly. Apparently, the baby cried human tears for 5 hours and I can see why!

:omg:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I almost didn't post this because it's just so deeply horrible (and much worse than the Mama-Tried-to-Kill-Me video above).

A desperate baby has somehow become separated from his mother and his herd. He makes his way across the Savannah, so young he's unable to drink water and with no place to nurse. He even begins cuddling and suckling a tree which seems to retain familiar smells. The baby approaches unrelated herds for help, but is soundly rejected by both bull and cow herds, with increasing violence --- despite the fact that it's not unusual for herds to accept tiny orphans into its ranks. But that is not be. The adult bulls kick at the baby, and the matriarch of the cows actually attempts to kill him. No one wants him, and yet he's so close to being a newborn that he doesn't understand the rejection, rushing back and forth trying to get some herd to accept him, even mistakenly trying to suckle the bull males.

At ~6:20, one can see a kick to the head from a huge bull sends the baby into some kind of seizure.

Why are they doing this, to this degree? Do the adult elephants sense a physical illness not obvious to the human observer? Does the drought reduce resources to the point the herds simply have no place for the hungry tyke amidst them? Is there some overly-needy (even for an orphaned newborn), super-nerd gene at work that they find repulsive?

For a species normally so sensitive, even to the point of being one of the only mammals other than humans to funeral their dead, this is astoundingly heartless.

As the tiny, helpless baby's descent into hell completes itself, a pack of rabid hyenas approach the pachyderm child at nightfall, a nearby bull herd --- which ordinarily would fight furiously to save an endangered infant -- stands by in callous apathy as the hyenas grab the elephant boy by the groin and trunk, tearing the doomed baby screaming in horror (well, most of us would) as they eat him alive.

Nature may be cruel, but this is ridiculous. I'd like the film crew to step in and rescue the baby and ship him off to that Nairobi orphanage, but no suck luck.

One YT commenter said: "when you think your life sucks watch this video!" while others just said was the most depressing video they'd ever seen.

At ~8:12, one bull appears to offer him a friendly trunk, but the abused baby doesn't seem to recognize the gesture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't think I've ever realized before how utterly depressing zoos are.

I realized it about 10+ years ago and was horrified about what goes on in the world regarding animals.

Typical tourist zoos are most often bad. It's not natural for wild animals to be in small confined spaces, maybe even chained.

I appreciate the animal parks and sanctuaries focusing on saving animals from different types of horrors or even species extinction. We need peaceful big spaces for animals that can no longer live in the wild where they get food and health care and don't have to be stared at by masses of people.

I have an adopted monkey living in a sanctuary in Indonesia. My BFF voulonteered there for a few months and met him and his friends. So I know he's in a good place.