"Baby It's Cold Outside" pulled by radio station, citing #MeToo

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Is there a place for this version in a world where #MeToo has finally given women the voice they deserve?

It's just a few blocks. Plus you've got double socks. I wish you knew how to take a hint...

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Miss Piggy strongly disagrees because it would hurt her music legacy:

Oh and #metoo!!

One of these days, people will begin to listen to the Beatles´ songs and see a different meaning in their lyrics (which might be true in some cases, "Lucy..." in my mind!), and they will eventually be erased from the Earth music memory. Hypocrisy is disgusting. Meanwhile, Tinder users (male AND female) are more and more everyday...

Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm just going to make a bold prediction. In the year 2084 a minority group which largely existed as normal thinking people in 1984 are going to request a song to their local radio station. This song has such an influence it awakens this silent minority from their slumber and ultimately crush that PC (Political Correctness) group into submission...never to be heard of again. The song? "Like a Virgin" by Madonna.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I must admit it feels kinda fabulous to say: "I have finally been given the voice I deserve, and by God I'm going to use it!"
Especially when I say it with a raspy Barbara Stanwyck voice, and shake my head hysterically.

(In facto, I recall a scene from The Colbys in which Sable says something about "having the upper hand" (for the first time) and "intend to use it to the fullest")

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
'It's not a date rape song': 'Baby, It's Cold Outside' composer's daughter speaks out

NBC NEWS) — Baby, it’s really, really cold outside for Frank Loesser’s Oscar-winning song this Christmas season.
Under fire amid the #MeToo movement from critics who say "Baby, It's Cold Outside" is sexist and hints at date rape, radio stations in Cleveland and San Francisco have dropped the holiday staple from their Christmas playlists and others in the U.S. and Canada are following suit.
This is not sitting well with the daughter of Broadway legend Frank Loesser, who said she has heard complaints in the past about her dad’s ditty but blames Bill Cosby for turning it into something fiendish.

"Bill Cosby ruined it for everybody," Susan Loesser told NBC News on Thursday. “Way before #Me Too, I would hear from time to time people call it a date rape song. I would get annoyed because it’s a song my father wrote for him and my mother to sing at parties. But ever since Cosby was accused of drugging women, I hear the date rape thing all the time.”
Cosby was convicted earlier this year of drugging and sexually assaulting one woman and has been accused of doing the same to dozens more. And the link between the song and disgraced actor was even reinforced in a memorable SNL skit — from 2015.

Loesser, 74, said she understands why women nowadays might bristle at the song, which features a man trying to convince a woman to spend the night because the weather outside is frightful — and includes the line, “Say what’s in this drink?”
"Absolutely I get it," she said. “But I think it would be good if people looked at the song in the context of the time. It was written in 1944.”
How would her dad, who died in 1969, react to his song being banned from the radio?
"I think my father would be furious at that," she said. "People used to say 'what’s in this drink' as a joke. You know, this drink is going straight to my head so what’s in this drink? Back then it didn’t mean you drugged me."
"It was a different time," Loesser added.
“Flirting was a whole different thing back then,” she said. “It was 1944 and my father wrote it because when he and my mom had parties where everybody had to have an act to entertain the guests.”

The song became a widespread hit after Loesser, who also wrote the music and lyrics to Broadway classics like “Guys and Dolls” and “How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying,” sold the rights to MGM and it was included in the 1949 movie "Neptune’s Daughter."
In that movie, Ricardo Montalban and Esther Williams perform the duet together, as do Red Skelton and Betty Garrett, with the gender roles reversed for laughs.
While the song won the Academy Award, Susan Loesser said her mom, Lynn Garland, was not happy that her father sold “their song” to MGM. The marriage ended in divorce in 1957.
The duet went on to be covered by numerous artists, ranging from Johnny Mercer and Betty Carter in 1949 to the version millennials will know best, the 2003 cover performed by Will Ferrell and Zooey Deschanel from the Christmas movie "Elf."
"I always thought my parents' version was the best," Susan Loesser said. "I think it’s adorable.'

But adorable isn't one of the words dozens of callers used recently when they called WDOK Christmas 102.1 in Cleveland to demand that “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” be yanked off the playlist.
"I gotta be honest,” Glenn Anderson of Cleveland’s Star 102 radio wrote on the station’s blog after the decision was made. “I didn’t understand why the lyrics were so bad ... Until I read them.”
But the song has its defenders.
Karen North, a USC communications professor whose great uncle was a producer of “Guys and Dolls” and several other Loesser shows, said the song has been misinterpreted.
“It’s about a man pursuing a woman and a woman pursuing a man and it’s sung in both directions,” she told NBC News. “It’s not about a male predator.”
If you look at the lyrics, North added, the lines sung by the woman are not "no, no, no."
"What she’s saying is 'I ought to say no, no, no,'" said North. "It’s all about how women in that era were not allowed to be unchaperoned with a man. The song is about two people who are mutually attracted and want to find an excuse to stay together."
As for the “what’s in this drink” line, North said “it’s not about a date rape drug being put in a drink.”
"It's about a woman coming up with an excuse to stay because she’s had too much to drink and is referring to alcohol," she said.

https://www.wthr.com/article/its-no...ts-cold-outside-composers-daughter-speaks-out

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"I gotta be honest,” Glenn Anderson of Cleveland’s Star 102 radio wrote on the station’s blog after the decision was made. “I didn’t understand why the lyrics were so bad ... Until I read them.”

Of course he is a DJ at the station, but I understand how he would never actually listen to or have any idea what the song he plays is all about by actually listening to it. But of course the report had to include someone like him because the "two sides" nonsense is how media outlets pretend to be objective. Like, if the topic were models of the solar system, they would invite an astronaut with actual photos of the Earth and one flat Earther, "to hear both sides."

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's always possible to create "another" side (logical or not), I could think of some examples.:)

Of course it is. There is a side that I am at fault for eating a whole jar of Nutella, and there is a side where it is Nutella's fault. On US media, I deserve to give my side against the evil jar.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
They could always re-write the song if it upsets them.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
This sultry version remains my favourite.

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They could always re-write the song if it upsets them.

Now that's what a call a modern, updated version. It retains the song's original materialism, and adds just the right amount of "men are pigs" condescension for today's audience.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Is there a separate thread about Fairytale of New York? Cos the call to ban that one is equally as dumb.

The best part of my Christmas is calling people scumbag faggot cheap lousy maggots. Regardless of sex, race, creed, or if they are snowflake, cornflake or rice cake.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards