In the Spotlight with.. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Some travel inspired questions this time.

1) When was the first time you went to Rome?
2) Which countries in Europe have you already visited and which ones are on your bucket list?
3) Italy: Venice or Rome?

That's all for now.

Hi @Karin Schill , yes hopefully when this is all over, a vaccine found to be successful and life returns to a degree of normaility - normal travel will be resumed!!

1 -The first time I went to Rome was in 1997 - at the time when P Diana died so I missed all of that and Mother Teresa died as i rememebr Rome went black at night out of respect for M T - all the usual landmarks were not lit up in her honor.

2- I have been to Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, (My fav) Sweden :love7:Poland, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro
So there is an awful ot of Europe I havent seen
I think I have been to more States in USA than I have countries in Europe

The ones on my bucket list are Austria and Switzerland, Iceland, more of Scandanavia, Greece, Russia, Czech Republic, Slovenia (as Lake Bled is supposed to be beautiful) (should heve been there in April this year) and the Baltic states.

3. I have to say Rome as I have never been to Venice!

thanks again @Karin Schill - happy saturday xx

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
I certainly enjoy reading all of your answers in thread @Barbara Fan. You are such a cherished member of this community. :)

1. One question comes to mind in regards to your yearly Dallas Calendar. Do you have a large group of saved images that you devote a day of each year to a specific character or scene? I so adore looking at each day's entry.

2. As you don't watch Season 14 of Dallas anymore does that mean we will never get a Johnny Dancer day on the calendar? :hide: LOL, I'm just thankful I see Michelle Stevens about once a year. :dance:
Hello @Michelle Stevens :for: Thanks for your kind words, Ultimate Dallas, Soapchat, Tellytalk has been a big part of my life for 20 years now which is rather scary -

1= The answer is Yes I do, my computer crashed a few years ago so lost a lot of images - but decided to save them after that on a memory stick so they go back to 2016.
The first year 2008 was a free for all then in 2009 I decided it was easier to avoid duplication by having a day for key core cast members - so now if i look at the years i know Day 1 is Larry, 2 is LInda, 3 is Victoria etc and I can hopefully avoid duplication

Yes Final season is still in the cellophane so sadly no Johnny Dancer ;) (i dont even remember what he did in Dallas/erased from memory) Oh I may just pull a Michelle Stevens one out of the bag, just for you, watch this space.................................:p

Thanks again xxx :dance1:

just to keep you going

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
@Barbara Fan very moving tribute to BBG.

Oh, the BSS makes an appearance, I’d frame it and send it back to you .......;)

Thanks re BBG and @Pammy P

Right back at you!! No return of goods permitted

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
BF, would you have accepted Donna Reed in another role, during season 7 (DVD-8)?

Imho Donna was stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't think she would have ever tried to copy Barbara's Ellie and if she did there would undoubtedly have been criticism levelled at her. That being said as the ole saying goes the original is more often than not the best. BBG brought Ellie to the world, with such gusto.

Maybe Donna could have portrayed Jason Ewing's wife. Jamie and her mother Mabel show up in their rags, being from the poor side of the Ewing family. Never heard off but now with an ownership document they are set to battle for a third of the lucrative oil business. Another other alternative could have been DR as Ellie's Southworth cousin. The new character breeds and farms horses, not cattle.

Ellie pays a rare visit to Ewing Oil. A showdown is set to happen between the matriarch and her boys, (a scene from season 9; DVD-10, 1986-'87):

Ellie: "Hello Phyllis."

Phyllis: "Hello Mrs. Ewing."

Ellie: "Is J.R. in his office?"

Phyllis: "Yes he is but ah."

J.R. is on the phone: "Say I'll get back to ya. Mama what brings you here?"

Ellie goes around to J.R.'s chair: "Sit down J.R. where I can see you and get your brother in here."

J.R.: "Something the matter?"

Ellie: "Now J.R.!!!!"

J.R. buzzes Bobby, on the phone: "Bobby, mama is in my office. She wants to talk to both of us. Can you come in here a minute? Please!"

Bobby: "Be right in."

Bobby: "Mama. J.R. What is going on?"

Ellie: "Sit down Bobby! I want to talk to you and J.R."

Bobby: "Sure!"

Ellie: "I always thought no matter what happened I'd standby my family. It was always that way with the Ewings. It was always family against all outsiders. We always stuck up for each other, even when we knew we were wrong. But no more! It as gone too far and I won't defend either of you, any longer. I can't!"

Bobby: "Mama what do you mean?"

Ellie: "I've thought about this a lot and believe me this is one of the hardest things, I've ever had to say but as far as I'm concerned you two don't deserve to own Ewing Oil."

J.R.: "Well mama this is daddy's company, you're talking about."

Ellie: "Don't you ever, ever speak his name in front of me again. You disarm his name and his company and I guess that's what hurts me the most because your daddy would have been so ashamed of you. I know he would because I sure as hell am!"

J.R.: "Well mama I know you're upset but can we talk this over?"

Ellie: "I have nothing more to say. You are both on your own now and as far as Ewing Oil goes it should have died with your daddy. It would have saved us all, a lot of trouble."

Ellie leaves the building, which Jock founded. She has left J.R. and Bobby sitting like two reprimanded children.

I thought she was a pretty awful, wooden and stilted actress so my answer is I wouldnt want her anywhere near Dallas but she would have fitted in perfectly in the last couple of years as there were so many others in the same boat! BBG was the heart and soul of the show for me, emotional, didnt need a script to act, but it was like an alien devoid of emotion had landed in the centre of Dallas. I didnt reciognise the character, a bit like Cliff Barnes in TNT (Crap) Dallas. Who are these people???

At the time I found it painful to watch, but at least with VHS and now DVD i can zip thro the bits i dont like - and I zip thro quite a lot of the office scenes too
SF, family, dinners, round the pool, thats what I loved most.

I love your long quote - that was a great scenes with music to match @Jock Og :ty: for your question xx

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Hi BF, when you visited the Dallas set can you give a bit of information about what way the sets were laid out in the studio? Was Southfork a permanent set that was always up? What other sets would have been permanently up and what ones didn't you see?
l have always wondered if things like the Southfork kitchen butted up against Ewing offices or something. Do you have any photos from the set tour?

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Hi BF, when you visited the Dallas set can you give a bit of information about what way the sets were laid out in the studio? Was Southfork a permanent set that was always up? What other sets would have been permanently up and what ones didn't you see?
l have always wondered if things like the Southfork kitchen butted up against Ewing offices or something. Do you have any photos from the set tour?

Oh I was walking on air that day and my feet didnt touch the ground, sometimes I wonder if i did dream it (like Pam!) @Alexis
I wrote down my thoughts of the day - at that time and im trying hard to find that record of what I thought. I know I was very STAR STRUCK and I think i lost the powers of speech when introduced to Patrick Duffy. I must have looked a right muppet!

I had never been on a film set and was surprised how dark and dusty it was - with so many people around and i wondered what you had to do to get a job as It would appeal! Even if i served the coffee!! All the crew were very relaxed and in shorts (it was Aug) I remember thinking how lucky they were to work with THEE cast of Dallas.
I saw all the sets of SF, and interior, the outside was so small and the pool was tiny or so it seemed and the painted back driop made it obvious it was on a set and not the real outdoors of SF.
I also got to see the Oil Barons, Cliffs apt, the EO Offices, etc but anything that wasnt in use was covered up with dust cloths. I think I sat on every chair and settee in the SF living room and same in the kitchen.
I know In visited several sound stages and remembering at the time that the sets didnt make sense.

You would walk out of one door and the next room was on a set 2 doors down! The casts trailers were a fair size and thought they were pretty comfortable. Susan Howard a had a big bible in hers

I wasnt allowed my camera on set, I was lucky to get on the set as it was a closed set with no visitors alllowed, but i guess they made an exception for a star struck teenager. I dont know if they thought Id sell my pics to the National Enquirer!!!

A national newspaper in UK took photos tho and my mum and I tried very hard to get copies of the photos but they werent very helpful as the Photographer was an American and not British and I dont think they tried very hard which disappointing for me. However they did feature my story and a full page spread. Since my trip happened so quickly and no internet back them, a few friends got a shock opening the papers to find me in it!
I spent a day also with Steve Kanaly and got lots of photos from that with my own camera - He told me that BBG was instrumental in getting the SF kitchen buit as thats where she spent so much time at home. I was grateful for any little tit bit of BBG!

I sent a post card and thank you to the policeman, who walked up the path of the holiday home my parents were renting, it was the least I could do as he had no idea how happy he made one little girl, and all because he came to see me once he was off duty. He didnt have to and I will be eternally grateful. It was all my dreams come true.

K

Karin Schill

They were on the Warners Brothers lot in Burbank, LA :yo:

I'm surprised to hear that since I thought they used to film Dallas over at the MGM studios? :confuse:
Either way I found your account of visiting the set fascinating to read. I am sure you must have kept the newspaper spread from your set visit. Just too bad the professional photographer wasn't better with sharing the photos.

I'm sure you will love Austria and Switzerland as well as Norway when you get there. All of those places has lots of mountains and are very scenic. :)

I have never been to Bosnia and Herzegovina or Montenegro. So I am wondering what's your impression of those countries?
(what did you visit etc)

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The Best concert I have ever been to was

Are you/were you a fan of Runrig? I remember someone really praising this band years back and wondered if you might have mentioned them in one of the 1000 music threads.

Are you a fan of men in kilts, or are you the gal to demand where their troosers are?

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Hello @Karin Schill - the address that i used to write to twice yearly for Dallas cast Photos and autographs since Jan 1980 was

4000 Warner Blvd

Burbank, CA 91522

I still have many copies of the Story of my trip to Dallas or LA I should say, some are turning a rather faded yellow now. Yes I was disappointed not to get copies of the photos, and wished id smuggled my camera in!!

Yes Switzerlland and Austria are getting to the top of the list - hopefullly in next year or so

re Bosnia - did a day trip to Mostar from Dubrovnik, it was a long way to go to see a bridge and was very busy. Also went to see a typical house amd a mosque
The bridge was blown up in the war in the 90s and rebuilt. I think Prince Charles re opened it
Montenegro went to Kotor and other places I cant remember!

:ty: xx

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Are you/were you a fan of Runrig? I remember someone really praising this band years back and wondered if you might have mentioned them in one of the 1000 music threads.

Are you a fan of men in kilts, or are you the gal to demand where their troosers are?

@Ome - yes I think that was me!! I used to be a fan and have seen once in concert when they were starting out - again my friend next door (who was dumped by her boyfriend and i got to see Kate Bush) dragged me along to se this new gaelic band. We didnt have a clue what they were singing or saying at times

MY friend _ I will call her M - was way ahead of the game in terms of music, when everyone liked Queen or Abba in the 80s she was into Deep Purple, Lynryd Skynrd, Ian Gillan, Rainbow, Whitesnake, Rory Gallagher, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Jim Morrison. Mamrc Bolan etc - to this day - all those afternoons sitting listening to records (she had a vast collection of LPS!!) have shaped me and i totally appreciate her broadening my tastes in music

re Men in kilts = not a huge fan but i am if his name is Marti Pellow!! :love7:

1606055273771.png

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
re Runrig - the 1st one is played at many a wedding North of the border - Dont think they have had too many good songs in recent years and Donnie became a bit too political for me - my top 4 Runrig tunes, Skye is great live

https://youtu.be/0TxnNoxSwoo

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
I hope not to be (too) late for the ball. Here are our questions:

- I know you have been several times in Spain. What did you love the most of my country, and what did you hate the most?

- Would you have liked to see BBG in any of the other supersoaps of the time, as a regular or a guest star?

- I know you and moi had some fan things in common like collecting magazine cutouts, taping on cassette the Dallas episodes before VHS was out, etc. Did you ever spend a lot of time reading news on "Dallas" at the newsstand like moi (and be told off for it)?

Now it´s Miss Piggy´s time:

"Hi dear BBF,
Here is my question. If you were invited to an all-star party in Hollywood for a tribute to classic-TV old glories and you met in the powder room these three ladies: Prissy Presley, Sheree Wilson, and Cathy Podewell, whose a** would you kick faster (and harder!)?
You are welcome, I know it´s always a pleasure to talk to moi!"

1606076944620.png

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
I hope not to be (too) late for the ball. Here are our questions:

- I know you have been several times in Spain. What did you love the most of my country, and what did you hate the most?

- Would you have liked to see BBG in any of the other supersoaps of the time, as a regular or a guest star?

- I know you and moi had some fan things in common like collecting magazine cutouts, taping on cassette the Dallas episodes before VHS was out, etc. Did you ever spend a lot of time reading news on "Dallas" at the newsstand like moi (and be told off for it)?

Now it´s Miss Piggy´s time:

"Hi dear BBF,
Here is my question. If you were invited to an all-star party in Hollywood for a tribute to classic-TV old glories and you met in the powder room these three ladies: Prissy Presley, Sheree Wilson, and Cathy Podewell, whose a** would you kick faster (and harder!)?
You are welcome, I know it´s always a pleasure to talk to moi!"

Its never too late for you @Toni :love7:

Re Spain, it was the first European contry I visited and went with my parents when i was a teenager
- I had been to USA when I was 13, my 1st time abroad - this was my second and i remember getting off the plane and seeing blue sky and feeling the heat - I loved that

All the times i went always went to a beach resort as we all liked to sunbathe then and the weather was difffeent to home. Also did a few trips - so got to see Barcelona, Monserrat, Gibraltar, Malaga etc as well as some of the little towns off the beaten track

I thought the people were very friendly, I loved the ice cream, I loved the fountains, the big long promenades with the lovely mozaic tiles and my mum loved the pottery, linen and lace, And i love the idea of a siesta in the PM, I just wouldn't want to go back out to work tho!!
Dislikes re Spain
I dont like paella!! Too sea foody for me

re BBG - I didnt really watch any of the other soaps from USA and i couldnt really see her in Coronation Street!! I would have liked to see her do a guest starring role in a weekly show like Love boat, Hart to Hart and play someone different to Miss Ellie - or Id like to have seen her in a good quality film with famous people in it like Murder on the Orient express or Death on the nile -

oh yes to reading magazines and papers in shops :giggle:
I think i once said that someone in a newsagents asked me if id like chair!! sarcastic or what lol, but i still do it to this do, although Priscilla Presley is about the only one they write about now!

re Dallas ladies, I dont mind PP so she is out of the equation there, would have to be simpering insipid April aka SJW for her lack of rapport with beloved Bobby (he was back then!!) I was glad she went to Paris!!
and
I know it´s always a pleasure to talk to you @Toni and Miss Piggy, thanks for your questions

mucho amor, love BF xx

1606083739688.png

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Runrig - the 1st one is played at many a wedding North of the border
I'm putting together a playlist for each year in the 90s and that's when I came across Runrig, the song you posted (Loch Lomond) was an instant hit for me and I'm looking forward to hearing more from them.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
A big thank you to everyone who took part in this thread
and to Barbara Fan for sharing with us a special part of her life.

I hope you enjoyed this week as much as everyone else did.

We have had some fantastic question, with equally fabulous answers.​

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Thank you @Ome

A few last thoughts from me!

Thanks for my week in the spotlight, its been great fun and there have been a whole load of great questions to answer.

To everyone who has asked me a question I thank you. The forum has been a special place for the past 20 years.

When I first found Ultimate Dallas, I was like a child in a toy shop – I didn’t know where to go 1st. I was delighted to see that there were people like myself who loved Dallas – as away from the internet there weren’t too many people I knew who loved Dallas. Their interest had waned long ago.

I was really excited to find out and must single out Luke (who used to be an admin here) – someone like me, who was a huge Dallas fan who had built up a pretty big collection over the years. More than just a normal fan of the show and we became friends over the internet. Another poster Christo (who loved Deborah Shelton) and Luke taught me so much about computers, scanning, creating web sites and posting online. To them I will be eternally grateful.

The Forum in the early 2000s - 2010 was exciting re Dallas, so many posters – many of whom I have been lucky to meet at Dallas events in both UK and USA.

Someone emailed me asking me about my Dallas highlights over the years
  • Dallas highlights for me over the years were getting on the set in 1983, a real pinch me I must be dreaming this moment. I used to imagine it and suddenly I was there; it was surreal. Sometimes I wonder if it really happened!!
  • Howard Keel – the opportunity to see him in concert and meet him many times, just a gentleman who loved his fans and it resulted in a friendship where I ended up staying with his lovely wife Judy in 2008. Who would have thought it, not me for one.
  • Highlights for me were Fan Source in 2008, which was everything the BBQ was not, small, intimate and a chance to get up close and personal with the cast.
  • Another chance event was thanks to @Tessie, who told me that Linda Gray would be in Palm Springs the same day as me when I was touring West coast USA. That resulted in getting talking to the organisers and getting an invite to the after party at the unveiling of a star on the walk of fame for her ex husband Ed Thrasher – I wasnt really dressed for it in shorts and T shirt, but had a wonderful time and an added bonus was The Bionic Woman (Eds niece) and Della Reece were also present. The wonderful organisers even ran me back to my hotel at 11 pm. Linda has always called me Barbara The fan!
  • Another wonderful time thanks to the internet was meeting Barbara’s granddaughter in NY – I did secretly wish she had dragged grandma along but she didn’t have a huge amount of contact with her but a lot of stories. And said she was “eccentric” I get that!

I think one of the nicest things about the forum has been the chance to meet Forum fans of Dallas, and the night before the BBQ at the SF motel where many of us were staying was a night to remember and great fun. I had barely arrived at the hotel, bit jet lagged and @Ray's Lady and i went off to the Galleria shopping (no signs of Peedur and Sue Ellen tho) There was so many fans there who used to post here but no longer post and we had such a fun night into the early hours of the morning. And such excitement too

Another exciting time was June 2006 for taping of Wogan Show with @Sarah @Karin Schill and that was great fun and getting to meet Terry Wogan and getting to ask Pat D a question for TV . I saw @Angela Channing but didn’t get to speak to as I had a plane to catch and really had to rush off.

Another lovely thing is that the Forum and Dallas events gave 2 Dallas fans (sadly they no longer post here) the chance to cross that boundary from fan to friend with Larry and Linda and I think that’s so cool, that they got to hang out with them and become friends – went to events with them, went to Larry’s Santa Monica pad and were with him just before he died. That would have been amazing and if id got that chance to be same with BBG or PD (pre TNT!) Id think Id have died and gone to heaven. They may never had that opportunity if it hadn’t been for the internet and this site.

Check out some of their great stories and pics at this web site by Larry fan - LHfan72 who used to post here - its packed with great pics and stories of them meeting Larry and Linda at events over the years

Thanks again folks, stay safe, stay well and keep on posting. Lets hope that there is a bright light round the corner as 2020 hasn’t been a memorable year – I hope that 2021 makes all your wishes and dreams come true.

Thanks again – I really enjoyed it, BF xx :love7: :ty:

Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thank you @Ome

A few last thoughts from me!

Thanks for my week in the spotlight, its been great fun and there have been a whole load of great questions to answer.

To everyone who has asked me a question I thank you. The forum has been a special place for the past 20 years.

When I first found Ultimate Dallas, I was like a child in a toy shop – I didn’t know where to go 1st. I was delighted to see that there were people like myself who loved Dallas – as away from the internet there weren’t too many people I knew who loved Dallas. Their interest had waned long ago.

I was really excited to find out and must single out Luke (who used to be an admin here) – someone like me, who was a huge Dallas fan who had built up a pretty big collection over the years. More than just a normal fan of the show and we became friends over the internet. Another poster Christo (who loved Deborah Shelton) and Luke taught me so much about computers, scanning, creating web sites and posting online. To them I will be eternally grateful.

The Forum in the early 2000s - 2010 was exciting re Dallas, so many posters – many of whom I have been lucky to meet at Dallas events in both UK and USA.

Someone emailed me asking me about my Dallas highlights over the years
  • Dallas highlights for me over the years were getting on the set in 1983, a real pinch me I must be dreaming this moment. I used to imagine it and suddenly I was there; it was surreal. Sometimes I wonder if it really happened!!
  • Howard Keel – the opportunity to see him in concert and meet him many times, just a gentleman who loved his fans and it resulted in a friendship where I ended up staying with his lovely wife Judy in 2008. Who would have thought it, not me for one.
  • Highlights for me were Fan Source in 2008, which was everything the BBQ was not, small, intimate and a chance to get up close and personal with the cast.
  • Another chance event was thanks to @Tessie, who told me that Linda Gray would be in Palm Springs the same day as me when I was touring West coast USA. That resulted in getting talking to the organisers and getting an invite to the after party at the unveiling of a star on the walk of fame for her ex husband Ed Thrasher – I wasnt really dressed for it in shorts and T shirt, but had a wonderful time and an added bonus was The Bionic Woman (Eds niece) and Della Reece were also present. The wonderful organisers even ran me back to my hotel at 11 pm. Linda has always called me Barbara The fan!
  • Another wonderful time thanks to the internet was meeting Barbara’s granddaughter in NY – I did secretly wish she had dragged grandma along but she didn’t have a huge amount of contact with her but a lot of stories. And said she was “eccentric” I get that!

I think one of the nicest things about the forum has been the chance to meet Forum fans of Dallas, and the night before the BBQ at the SF motel where many of us were staying was a night to remember and great fun. I had barely arrived at the hotel, bit jet lagged and @Ray's Lady and i went off to the Galleria shopping (no signs of Peedur and Sue Ellen tho) There was so many fans there who used to post here but no longer post and we had such a fun night into the early hours of the morning. And such excitement too

Another exciting time was June 2006 for taping of Wogan Show with @Sarah @Karin Schill and that was great fun and getting to meet Terry Wogan and getting to ask Pat D a question for TV . I saw @Angela Channing but didn’t get to speak to as I had a plane to catch and really had to rush off.

Another lovely thing is that the Forum and Dallas events gave 2 Dallas fans (sadly they no longer post here) the chance to cross that boundary from fan to friend with Larry and Linda and I think that’s so cool, that they got to hang out with them and become friends – went to events with them, went to Larry’s Santa Monica pad and were with him just before he died. That would have been amazing and if id got that chance to be same with BBG or PD (pre TNT!) Id think Id have died and gone to heaven. They may never had that opportunity if it hadn’t been for the internet and this site.

Thanks again folks, stay safe, stay well and keep on posting. Lets hope that there is a bright light round the corner as 2020 hasn’t been a memorable year – I hope that 2021 makes all your wishes and dreams come true.

Thanks again – I really enjoyed it, BF xx :love7: :ty:
:bravo1::bravo1::bravo1::bravo1::bravo1::site:(TOO)

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
another think i love about Spain @Toni

1606156103632.png

Simply the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1606156020460.png

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
another think i love about Spain @Toni

View attachment 23835

Simply the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 23834

Not of the taste of many Spanish people like moi. And that flag gets scared a lot of people for reasons that only citizens over 50 seem to understand. But happy you like soccer BF!! I do like paella, it´s been a weekly tradition at home all my life, and you can make it without fish too, with meat (ckicken, ribs or rabbit) or vegetables:

1606156856635.png
1606157003150.png

Note: I wish I could make paella but I just can´t...