• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

BBC trailer after the dream

Grangehill1

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Does anybody else remember the trailer BBC one ran after the dream season? If
My Memory is right the transmission gap between seasons 9 and 10 (dvd) was very short on the BBC.

They ran a trail with Pam sleeping in the middle and all around her the other cliffhangers from season 9 - the explosions were happening. Essentially giving the game away that it was a dream.

Anyone remember?

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Does anybody else remember the trailer BBC one ran after the dream season? If
My Memory is right the transmission gap between seasons 9 and 10 (dvd) was very short on the BBC.

They ran a trail with Pam sleeping in the middle and all around her the other cliffhangers from season 9 - the explosions were happening. Essentially giving the game away that it was a dream.

Anyone remember?

Yes I do remember this.I believe the dream season was broadcast over the summer after the ITV vs BBC battle and then the new season was broadcast in October, very close to the US transmission. Bobby's return was shown on Octobor 8th 1986 and the new series started at 7.30 on October 22nd.

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Also if you are interested in what was happening between ITV and BBC with Dallas here is a good news item from Channel 4.

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I remember this so clearly - and was horrified that ITV had stolen the show from BBC. Luckily it was resolved and ITV gave up the rights and the it continued on BBC without ad breaks every 10 minutes.

I do remember that BBC stopped screening it though while the problem was sorted.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I do remember that BBC stopped screening it though while the problem was sorted.

Yes. They pulled it very suddenly after the episode in which Jenna was found with the smoking gun and Naldo's body (the season before the dream). It wasn't a bad impromptu cliffhanger and I can clearly remember the announcement at the end of the episode. I also remember the Sunday tabloids did well because we got so far behind. There were two page spreads of Bobby's death months before we finally saw it (which makes me glad Knots wasn't newsworthy in the UK).

It's just bizarre to think of the Bobby's funeral airing before his death had ITV kept the series and been contractually able to screen it.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
On a related note, I recall several episodes from the dream season being released on home video. Certainly the opening few episodes and the last couple. And these are the only ones I can remember being officially released on VHS here apart from The Early Years.

Was this anything to do with the terms negotiated for the ITV contract, I wonder? Or was it simply seen as a worthwhile enterprise because we were so far behind?

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
On a related note, I recall several episodes from the dream season being released on home video. Certainly the opening few episodes and the last couple. And these are the only ones I can remember being officially released on VHS here apart from The Early Years.

Was this anything to do with the terms negotiated for the ITV contract, I wonder? Or was it simply seen as a worthwhile enterprise because we were so far behind?

Thats not quite correct @Mel O'Drama :ch:

in 1982 Guild Home Video released Mini series and series 1 of Dallas on VHS, then later on brought out 8 epiosodes of S2 - up to Rodeo on VHS

John menzies had Mini and S1 as a package for £140 - yes it wasnt cheap. I was still at school and dipped into my "woolwich" savings account that i saved hard for and persuaded my mum that I should buy them but never to tell my Dad i had wasted money (his words) on them

The S2 videos cost £19.99 each and I remember i got 4 p change from £80!! NOT CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So for about 2 years he had no idea ;)

John menzies did a deal and I think they were happy to get shot, they also included a trailer video of Dallas - My mum and her friend went to collect them one friday and I was super excited and couldnt wait to get home!!!

The Video collection also brought out the first 12 epiosdes of the dream season / 8 and last 3 ending with Bobby coming back and you could only get them in Woolworths who made much of the fact that they brought Bobby back! I think they cost £6.99 each and they were available to see before it had been shown on TV which I loved!

I still have all my Dallas videos and sometimes wonder why as I dont have a VHS player but I dont think I could part with them!

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I remember this so clearly - and was horrified that ITV had stolen the show from BBC. Luckily it was resolved and ITV gave up the rights and then it continued on BBC without ad breaks every 10 minutes.

That was Michael Grade who did that, he pulled the current series off the air. The BBC were furious that Thames had poached the show from them.

He pulled it on the episode where Naldo is found dead & Jenna has the gun. The cops ordering her to drop the gun. Thank goodness everything got resolved & Dallas returned to where it belonged - Wednesdays on BBC1 at 8pm. :)

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards

I think they had the first 12 dream season episodes for sale in Woolworths to cash in the dispute and then brought out the final two cliffhanger episodes. I think I may have viewed the season end before I saw the rest of the series.

Also the episodes after Naldos murder were released to rent on video. We rented right up until Bobby's death. I remember there was a waiting list for the cliffhanger but my mum knew the video shop owner so watched it straight after he had. It was very exciting to see it before other people had.

Thats not quite correct @Mel O'Drama :ch:

in 1982 Guild Home Video released Mini series and series 1 of Dallas on VHS, then later on brought out 8 epiosodes of S2 - up to Rodeo on VHS

John menzies had Mini and S1 as a package for £140 - yes it wasnt cheap. I was still at school and dipped into my "woolwich" savings account that i saved hard for and persuaded my mum that I should buy them but never to tell my Dad i had wasted money (his words) on them

The S2 videos cost £19.99 each and I remember i got 4 p change from £80!! NOT CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So for about 2 years he had no idea ;)

John menzies did a deal and I think they were happy to get shot, they also included a trailer video of Dallas - My mum and her friend went to collect them one friday and I was super excited and couldnt wait to get home!!!

The Video collection also brought out the first 12 epiosdes of the dream season / 8 and last 3 ending with Bobby coming back and you could only get them in Woolworths who made much of the fact that they brought Bobby back! I think they cost £6.99 each and they were available to see before it had been shown on TV which I loved!

I still have all my Dallas videos and sometimes wonder why as I dont have a VHS player but I dont think I could part with them!

They gave the Dallas series away for free with a brand new video purchase. This was in the day when they cost a fortune. I also think a shop called DER or something, gave them away if you rented a TV and video from them.

Weird to think people rented Tv's back then.

Last edited:

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards