Be Kind Rewind

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Has anyone watched these videos on YouTube? I've binged them, and I'm "patiently" awaiting the arrival of more to appear on my feed.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I realized I didn't take the time to attach any links, so here's a screen shot of the Be Kind Rewind page on YouTube.

upload_2019-4-9_21-19-22.png

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thank you so much for sharing this! It's such a good find.
I stumbled across the one regarding Cher's win for Moonstruck in 1988, and I was instantly hooked on them. I've watched all of them, excluding the newer one about the history of the movies and how the audience watches them. There's some of them I've given multiple viewings to, while others only intrigued enough for the initial viewing. The ones on Cher, Luise Rainer, Joan Crawford, Audrey Hepburn and Julie Andrews, Elizabeth Taylor, and Bette Davis have drawn me back for more the one set-through.

Apparently this channel is fairly new, so her output isn't too vast yet, but her viewership seems solid, so I'm positive that more videos will certainly emerge in the new future. I hope it isn't a channel that dies after the "new" for the producer runs low. The comments on the videos are flooded with topics for future videos, but I don't recollect Be Kind Rewind replying to any of the suggestions, though.

Here's the very promising future Be Kind Rewind has laid before us!

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Has anyone watched these videos on YouTube? I've binged them, and I'm "patiently" awaiting the arrival of more to appear on my feed.

Thanks for this. I just watched the one about Elizabeth Taylor's Oscar win and it's very good. I'm sure I'll make my way through many more of them.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Any thoughts on the videos....?

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks for this. I just watched the one about Elizabeth Taylor's Oscar win and it's very good. I'm sure I'll make my way through many more of them.
You're welcome. They are very informative and well put together.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They are very informative and well put together.

Definitely. I'm making my way through them and she is very insightful and she has really done her homework. Really enjoyed the Jodie Foster one which talks about The Silence Of The Lambs vs. Thelma and Louise, two of my favourite movies, and just watched the Julie Andrews vs. Audrey Hepburn one and learned a lot I didn't know.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Has anyone checked out the newest one on the great Meryl Streep?

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Any one else watched these vids? Any thoughts?

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh this latest one on the search to find Scarlett O' Hara, and how Vivien Leigh beat most of Hollyood royalty to land the role, is really fascinating. I had no idea that 'Gone With The Wind' was such a huge phenomenon before it was made into a movie, and that the movie was so eagerly awaited.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh this latest one on the search to find Scarlett O' Hara, and how Vivien Leigh beat most of Hollyood royalty to land the role, is really fascinating. I had no idea that 'Gone With The Wind' was such a huge phenomenon before it was made into a movie, and that the movie was so eagerly awaited.

I was so excited when I saw this fresh on my YouTube thread. It was excellent as all of them are, although I sense the newer ones are only getting better. I anticipate them so much, but I don't want any quality to deteriorate to have more quicker.

They're perfect. I wouldn't change a thing.

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Vivien Leigh really pursued the role of Scarlett O'Hara; it was no mere coincidence that she hired Myron Selznick as her agent. I remember all the speculation regarding who would be cast in "Fifty Shades of Grey", I imagine the frenzy over "Gone With The Wind" was that on steroids. I think Paulette Goddard would have been good (though not as good as Leigh); I don't see Jean Arthur or Joan Bennett as Scarlett and don't know what Selznick saw in them.

Last edited:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Vivien Leigh was an English actress that had struggled to find her breakthrough in the roles she was playing abroad. I haven't seen a great selection of her work prior to her relocation to the States, but as I understand it, she wasn't necessarily nailed to a type during this time. She transitioned easily from part to part, without having a particularly image attached to her name. That, I feel, was a key to her getting Scarlett O'Hara.

There is a documentary about Gone with the Wind called The Making of a Legend: Gone with the Wind, in which there is an entire section dedicated to screen tests made by the hopeful actresses that auditioned for not only Scarlett, but also for Melanie and Mammie.

Several people more dedicated to a Southerner playing Scarlett campaigned hard for Tallulah Bankhead and Miriam Hopkins, the actress author Margaret Mitchell supposedly preferred. There was a poll that ran in the newspapers, on radio, and fan magazines that said the top contenders were Bette Davis, Katharine Hepburn, Hopkins, Joan Crawford, Margaret Sullavan, and Barbara Stanwyck (I may have the names out of order, though).

All of these women had images already attached to their names, however. As I said above, Leigh did not. She fit the bill in look naturally, but I'm sure there was also an appeal because she wasn't established when negotiating her salary. It also gave freedom for the Hollywood star system to make her in the image they wanted, given her "Vivien who?" status in the US.

She was the right choice, there's no doubt about it, and David Selznick was intrigued by her the first time he met her. Even still, Selznick was still considering four actresses --- Paulette Goddard, Jean Arthur, Joan Bennett, and Leigh --- as late as December 1938. Only Goddard and Leigh were screen-tested in Technicolor on December 20. Of the three outside of Leigh, I can only see Goddard tackling the role with any considerable depth enough to have made Scarlett a standout among the host of great performances that year.

It wasn't to be, though. Leigh got it. And I'm glad she did.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Love this account. Such well informed, researched and interesting videos!
Yes! This is the only YouTube channel that I anxiously await a new video from. I occasionally review some of the videos she's posted some time back. I believe it was Saturday when I again watched her initial post about the Doppelganger Motif in A Stolen Life, a 1946 Bette Davis vehicle.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
oh i thought you were talking about that old Jack Black film with the same name now that one i have not seen some say it was awful some loved it. i haven't seen the you tube channel either for that matter