• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Berrenger's

JeffUSA

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
If my memory serves me correctly, I think "Berrenger's" was NBC's last attempt at an 80s primetime soap. It aired on Saturday nights at 10:00 p.m. (this was not yet the dead zone that it would become on US television), and it seems like it was pretty much DOA. I watched it every week during it's short winter run because of my obsession with primetime soaps. I have fond recollections of the show but I'm sure it would not stand the test of time if I could view it today.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've always wanted to watch Berrenger's as it reminded me of the Swedish attempt to make a prime time soap "Varuhuset" - similarly set at a department store. You'd think it would be rife for drama just from the setting alone!

JeffUSA

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
I've always wanted to watch Berrenger's as it reminded me of the Swedish attempt to make a prime time soap "Varuhuset" - similarly set at a department store. You'd think it would be rife for drama just from the setting alone!

I agree, especially given the popularity of department store/mall culture of the 1980s. Everyone went to department stores and shopping malls...all the time. It wasn't just about the shopping, it was almost a lifestyle. And a show like this should have glamourized it. Unfortunately, nothing about the show seemed very glamourous, from what I can recall.