Best police series?

Swami

Telly Talk Supreme
Reaction score
Medals
This is on my bucket list. Especially now there's a gorgeous restoration on Blu-ray.

I'm hoping if I bide my time there'll be a good offer on it one of these days.
My last visit to HMV Belfast showed a price of £59 for the entire series but perhaps Amazon could be cheaper?

Swami

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
My last visit to HMV Belfast showed a price of £59 for the entire series but perhaps Amazon could be cheaper?
The complete DVD version is £42 on Network at the moment and part of another offer (buy one get £25 off another), which is pretty good.

The Blu-ray is still £80, so I'm still holding out for an offer on that version.

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
My favourites:

• No Offence - a group of police officers in northern England. Mixes action and crime with comedy. First season's case is quite disturbing.
  • Vera - northern England here too. Vera is the boss at Northumberland & City police. They solve some grotty murders.
  • Law & Order: Special Victim's Unit. Set in New York, this long-running series definitely is grotty.
  • Beck - a Swedish series in the Scandinavian Noir genre. Martin Beck and his colleagues solve some pretty grim cases.
  • The Bridge - a Swedish/Danish collaboration series. Since the two countries are nowadays connected through a bridge, it's easy to go between the countries not to mention understand the language. Therefore also easy to commit crimes in both countries. This series is about both the Swedish and the Danish police working together. Better than the British/French version of it (The Tunnel).
There are some great Danish series that I need to catch up with. Unit One, The Killing, DNA, Below the Surface, Follow the Money, Those Who Kill etc etc.

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Last year someone recommended Happy Valley to me. I haven't yet got round to buying it, much less watching. But it looks good.

It's hard to tell, but I'd say it's not so much a police procedural as a drama series about a woman who happens to be a police officer. But then the same has frequently been said and written about Cagney & Lacey.

James from London

Telly Talk Superstar
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Medals
It's hard to tell, but I'd say it's not so much a police procedural as a drama series about a woman who happens to be a police officer. But then the same has frequently been said and written about Cagney & Lacey.
It's about all the people involved in the case-of-the-series, cops and otherwise, with Sarah Lancashire at the centre, doing that salt-of-the-earth suffering martyr thing she does so well. It's dead Northern and gritty and rainy, but it's still the kind of drama where someone accidentally kills someone else then covers it up as if it was a murder and then goes slowly mad. I mean, it's really well done and addictive and gripping, but by the second season, I couldn't take it quite as seriously as I felt I was supposed to.

Have you seen/can you get Line of Duty on Netflix, Willie? That's a brilliantly exciting cop drama. Hours of fun!

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
can you get Line of Duty on Netflix, Willie?
I can't check that at the moment but somehow I feel I've always been able to watch Line of Duty, netflix or not. But I never did. Maybe there's something in that title that doesn't appeal to me.

I just remembered that I still have to rewatch The Red Riding Trilogy, they had some interesting cops too.

Barbara Fan

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Happy Valley to me.
Sarah Lancashire is an actress who is like chalk on a board to me

And one I avoid, :sorry:

My Fav UK series was Prime Suspect with wonderful Helen Mirren - the 1st 3 stories and the last 2 were great, she is such a great actress and a lot of the great and the good of UK TV also starred including a young Richard Hawley from Corrie, the lovely Colin Salmond, Tom Wilkinson, the late great Tom Bell etc her dad does change face during the series and mprphs into Frank Finlay lol

Swami

Telly Talk Supreme
Reaction score
Medals
As of yesterday, and for the first time since 2009, ITV4 is screening the entire run of Dempsey and Makepeace (1000 and 1545).

Swami

bmasters9

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
One of my most favorites is from the 30-minute era (1957-60 on NBC, w/Lee Marvin as Lt. Frank Ballinger of the titular fictional squad of the Chicago Police):

msquadtitle.jpg

Another is a 60-minute one from the 70s (1972-77 on ABC, w/Karl Malden [Lt. Mike Stone], Michael Douglas [Insp. Steve Keller, 1972-76] and Richard Hatch [Insp. Dan Robbins, 1976-77]):

streetsofsanfranciscotitle.jpg

Last edited:

Ukdallasfan

Telly Talk Member
Reaction score
Line of Duty- completely gripping and has some of the best police interview scenes ever written :)