Best prime time soaps of the 2000's?

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Medals
Kenny, happy new year! The whole thing is on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF02F5DE9EADBA7AF

I don´t think it´s on dvd. Remember there is no conclusion to the whodunit (though I did find it in one of the producer´s more recent interviews, I can share it with you if you want).

Happy New Year Toni!

Thanks for the information. I think I might try that show. It sounds good. As of right now, I'd rather not know whodunit but thank you.

tommie

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Medals
I mean there are many things that set Ugly Betty apart from the primetime soaps of the '80s and '90s. The most glaring of which would be the fact that it wasn't played straight and was in fact an extended sitcom dressed as a soap in a cheap Halloween costume.

It had soapy elements as it was based on a Tele Novella I think, but it went through the ABC machine and came out as this very obvious comedy thing. More so than Desperate Housewives which at least had a darkness and a twee-ness that sometimes worked in it's favour.

At that time that's what ABC was doing to shows probably because of Desperate Housewives success. They murdered Dirty, Sexy, Money when it could have been a decent show.

Brothers & Sisters was probably the most soapy and consistent of the '00s soaps. Although it had all kinds of other elements to it ABC's Lost was also pretty soapy and I ate it up with a spoon.

It's funny because when you think about it ABC seems notorious for trying to make shows into the one show that's successful at that moment - in the 80s they tried to produce Dynasty clones or tried to Dynasty up their existing shows, in the 00s they tried with Desperate Housewives clones, in the 10s it was all about trying to get every show to do Scandal-esque type of twists. I guess it's just symptomatic for the television industry in general, but it's fairly obvious when you look at ABC's slate over the years.

Emelee

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Medals
I am quite fussy about what a soap is and what it's not.

IMO, Desperate Housewives is the only one I loved & that I would call a soap. Its set-up reminds me of Knots Landing.