• Neither

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Joan Crawford is romanced by younger beau, Cliff Robertson (whom Joan apparently raped during a "rehearsal" at her home) in AUTUMN LEAVES (1956) directed by BABY JANE/CHARLOTTE's Robert Aldrich.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
was thinking the same thing! happy Birthday Bette, my mums fav actress

Just finished watching Death on the Nile

love BF x

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Bette is my idol’s idol! Linda Gray loves her. She rang Linda at home once many years ago lol :D

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Bette would also have made a great Patricia Shepard in Dallas.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Hahaha! @Alexis Yes!!! She would have been fantastic. Linda would have loved that so much!

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Hahaha! @Alexis Yes!!! She would have been fantastic. Linda would have loved that so much!
Actually, thinking about it, Crawford would have been a better fit visually had she lived long enough.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Mmm see what you mean but I do think Bette’s waspy ways fit with Patricia :)

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Actually, thinking about it, Crawford would have been a better fit visually had she lived long enough.

Crawford would have pulled off any role on "Dallas" just to show that she was able to star in a primetime soap, which Bette Davis could never do (for health reasons or...not, if we consider "Hotel" a soap). I can imagine her as a slightly older Rebecca Wentworth, who raised a baby from hell she named Katherine...She probably slapped her and called her names, thus making her the evil creature we got to know and love so much...

upload_2019-4-9_11-3-5.jpeg

"Mama will die a cruel death...I swear it!"​

And Rebecca would instead die in a plane explosion, just because she deserved it...a la Victoria Grayson from "Revenge" (with Katherine being the one responsible for that, of course). What a different character Rebeccabeech would have been if they had gone this route...

"Mrs. Ewing...so you say you are my daughter...
Any scars from wire hangers to prove it...?"​

I can also envision her as pretending to be Donna Dread´s Miss Ellie´s best friend in school who returns to steal Clayton away from her. And she eventually kills FakeEllie, and the Ewing boys find out that the woman in question was not their Mama, as everybody seemed to hint at the Oil Barons´ Ball...Then Clarabelle Cretonne (Crawford´s character name) is sent to the same clinic where Jessica Montford is, and the murder spree on Season 12 will be hand to hand between both nutjobs...with axes in hand. Oh what a lovely, creepy show it could have become...

upload_2019-4-9_11-13-25.png
upload_2019-4-9_11-9-55.jpeg

- "Oh Jessie darling, I love your outfit..."
- "Ready for some killing, dear Clarabelle?"​

Justine

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm late to the party (obviously) but I can't say I find either of them very likeable. It seems like Bette disliked fakeJoan Faye Dunaway more than Joan anyway:p

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm late to the party (obviously) but I can't say I find either of them very likeable. It seems like Bette disliked fakeJoan Faye Dunaway more than Joan anyway:p

Joan was clever enough to (usually) be nice to crews; Dunaway (by many reports) was not.

But Bette's disgust for Joan was likely far more personal --- there's a mutual recognition involved, despite Bette's endless assertions that she and Joan were "very different women."

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards

It's never too late to join a thread here. I've been known to toss my two cents worth in on a forum that's heyday was clearly behind. This thread has been going steady for close to two years (if my memory serves me correctly), so there's no worries.

In discussing Davis and her relationship with Crawford and Dunaway, it appears she had differently opinions on them as ladies, artists, and professionals overall. Her distaste for Crawford reaches back to the 1930s when studio moguls felt Davis paled in comparison with Crawford, both in talent, popularity, and especially in beauty. Their "scrap" over Franchot Tone was minor when leveled beside Davis' contempt for the material Crawford was receiving in the latter half of the 1940s, at a time when they were each contracted to Warner Brothers.

Despite all of this, when asked directly about Crawford, Davis' remarks weren't always entirely negative. Professionally, she commended Crawford for being on time, knowing her lines, and the ability to work sufficiently despite the restrictions of a lackluster budget (as in the case with What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?). Her personal opinions, of course, probably weren't as a rewarding, but being the pro she was, Davis, at least at first, didn't always down Crawford.

It seems to be the complete opposite with Davis concerning Dunaway. Davis' initial impression wasn't a positive one, and after Dunaway's consistent delays and unprofesisonal behavior while filming The Disappearance of Aimee, she concluded that she was a pampered star who lacked in genuine manner or discipline the stars had prided themselves with in Davis' heyday. Every time I've heard an interviewer ask Davis about Dunaway, her reaction and statements were certainly not positive.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Both actresses did unsold pilots for prospective TV series...

THE DECORATOR (1965) with Bette, produced by Aaron Spelling:

DELLA (AKA: ROYAL BAY, 1963) with Joan:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Both actresses did unsold pilots for prospective TV series...

THE DECORATOR (1965) with Bette, produced by Aaron Spelling:

DELLA (AKA: ROYAL BAY, 1963) with Joan:
Davis, as I recall, did something like seven or eight pilots for TV shows that didn't make the cut. Crawford, on the other hand, only optioned to do that soap opera-style pilot in the early sixties.

I don't know all the titles for Davis' failed opportunities, though.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Davis, as I recall, did something like seven or eight pilots for TV shows that didn't make the cut. Crawford, on the other hand, only optioned to do that soap opera-style pilot in the early sixties.

I don't know all the titles for Davis' failed opportunities, though.
Reportedly, Crawford was offered the Joan Bennett role in DARK SHADOWS but turned it down. If it had been a prime time series, perhaps she would have taken it. Though DARK SHADOWS fans have asserted Crawford would have demanded that all the men who passed through Collinwood fall in love with her.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Reportedly, Crawford was offered the Joan Bennett role in DARK SHADOWS but turned it down. If it had been a prime time series, perhaps she would have taken it. Though DARK SHADOWS fans have asserted Crawford would have demanded that all the men who passed through Collinwood fall in love with her.

Interesting, I've never came across that tidbit of trivia. I've seen only clips of Dark Shadows, although I do have a "best of" complimentary DVD set that I grabbed at Walmart a few years back. I've yet to watch an episode in its entirety.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
a few pics of Joan and Bette

I see what Bette meant re her chest!

love BF xx