Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Last edited:

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i watched a REAL awful Crawford film recently called Paid from (1930) my god was that thing awful. not as bad as (1930)'s Montana Moon though also with Crawford and in that one she is simply awful in it. easily her worst film so far that i've seen and is prolly her worst performance of the ones i've seen thus far. now i watched (1931)'s Laughing Sinners and that one i really loved and i really would suggest you all to watch that one. it was a really good one i think. i haven't watched any Davis work recently though just Crawford

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i watched a REAL awful Crawford film recently called Paid from (1930) my god was that thing awful. not as bad as (1930)'s Montana Moon though also with Crawford and in that one she is simply awful in it. easily her worst film so far that i've seen and is prolly her worst performance of the ones i've seen thus far. now i watched (1931)'s Laughing Sinners and that one i really loved and i really would suggest you all to watch that one. it was a really good one i think. i haven't watched any Davis work recently though just Crawford

Early Joan is awful because she was really nothing but a stock actress who happened to get promoted by luck. She hit that sweet spot circa 1933-1950-something.

She's mostly camp beyond that.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
not all of her films with her in them had her awful in them, she was actually really good in Paid but the film was just bad and i disagree she was good in some films before (1933)
Grand Hotel would be one of them where she was good in for example. but i do agree that she's bad in some of them just not all of them

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
oh i forgot to add, that if you want a good one though it's been a long time since i last saw this one (1928)'s West Point i recall being a good one. (1926)'s The Boob yes that is the title is a good one as well. as well as my favorite silent of her's (1927)'s The Unknown With Lon Chaney Sr. that one is a must watch, true those all are silents but those are good ones she did.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
not all of her films with her in them had her awful in them, she was actually really good in Paid but the film was just bad and i disagree she was good in some films before (1933)
Grand Hotel would be one of them where she was good in for example. but i do agree that she's bad in some of them just not all of them

Hm, yeah, well ironically she was someone who seemed to benefit from "The Hayes Code" because she could play it rather well while still being naughty enough for the audience behind the screen.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
ya know in Laughing Sinners and Paid i think she as better looking in those than she was later on after she was given/created her own look cause those were made before she got that look she kept the rest of her life.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
a few of Bette

Love BF x

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
IB with Bette and Joan

@ Hollywood canteen

love BF x

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Has anybody seen TROG (1970), generally regarded as Joan Crawford's worst. She's an anthropologist or something who goes in search of the missing link who'd attacked a few fey spelunking investigators.

The picture might have been a decent B-movie if it weren't for the missing link's costume which conveyed the primate's genetic ambivalence by putting a monkey suit on the actor and then cutting away the arms so his human limbs were visible.

Seriously...

Crawford's okay, although there are times I think she's ever-so-slightly drunk.

Last edited by a moderator:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Has anybody seen TROG (1970), generally regarded as Joan Crawford's worst. She's an anthropologist or something who goes in search of the missing link who'd attacked a few fey spelunking investigators.

The picture might have been a decent B-movie if it weren't for the missing link's costume which conveyed the primate's genetic ambivalence by putting a monkey suit on the actor and then cutting away the arms so his human limbs were visible.

Seriously...

Crawford's okay, although there are times I think she's ever-so-slightly drunk.

Yeah, I've seen it on TCM. I had it on my DVR for quite a while, and for many nights I'd turn it on just to fall asleep to it. I vaguely remember watching the entire movie once, and I believe there was one time it was in my Amazon shopping cart. Of course, after a few viewings (several incomplete, however), the chance is extremely slim that this movie will make it to my DVD shrine.

It's that bad. And not quite so bad, it's good bad, either.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Ive seen clips but dont think ive ever seen it

Looks awful!!! x

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV