Between Two Worlds

JamesF

Telly Talk Member
Reaction score
I think this might be geoblocked (which is a bit OTT for a trailer...)

Not sure of this is the same but I found this trailer too:

I think this is the most exciting debut of 2020 for me! Looks like pure soap.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Medals
I'm glad to see this is finally going to air. I think it might have been 2018 when I first heard Bevan Lee talking about it on a podcast and I was excited by the premise. Like @Willie Oleson pointed out, it looks like a revenge / mystery series type series as opposed to an out and out soap but I'll be watching to see how it pans out.

JamesF

Telly Talk Member
Reaction score
The show is now confirmed to start tomorrow night and will run for 10 episodes.

Bevan Lee has given an interview in the run up to the premiere and there's a particularly interesting quote: “The Grey world is a little bit like the Rafters and the Walford world is a bit like Sons & Daughters on steroids. It takes some time for the two worlds to converge.”

Look forward to seeing the final product.

JamesF

Telly Talk Member
Reaction score
Well...

I understand that the Australian public did not take to this show which I believe has bombed in the ratings. To the extent that I'd be surprised if it stayed in its timeslot despite being one of the most expensive series Channel 7 has produced.

As for my opinion? Still early days and I've only seen two episodes but it's a very difficult to actually have one as it feels so...fractured? The stories don't seem to sit together well (which is the premise of course, but S&D managed it). Nobody is particularly likeable, including those that we should I presume be rooting for. It's got a shade of new-Dallas at times and feels generally derivative.

Aside from maybe Hermione Norris and the actress playing the daughter of the middle class family, the performances seem odd too. Some of the younger cast seem wooden and the experienced performers are getting direction that sends their performances a few miles off course.

I'll see it through in case it becomes the masterpiece that Bevan Lee promised but certainly from the first two episodes, this is not a weekly show; not if it's allegedly so clever that it all comes together in the end. It should 100% have gone to Netflix or another platform for people to binge.

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Active Member
Reaction score
After four episodes I've given up. Not a single character that I want to see more of. A bad Succession rip-off with unmotivated performances, set in a distant, cold environment. A series about vampires without vampires.

A huge disappointment from Bevan Lee whose Sons and Daughters was broadcast in Germany via cable on Super Channel in the 80s (sigh) and was the basis of my German favorite daytime soap Verbotene Liebe (Forbidden Love; 1995-2015+ 2020- ) and especially sad after the wonderful A Place To Call Home which I regard even higher than Downton Abbey.