• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Biopic about the Collins sisters in the works

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)

The colorful lives of movie star Joan Collins and her bestselling novelist sister, Jackie, will be dramatized in a TV series. Sony-backed Fable Pictures, the British film and TV producer behind “Stan & Ollie,” will make the series, having secured the TV rights to the Collinses’ story.

The series, which has the working title “Joan & Jackie,” will trace the sisters’ journeys from postwar London to Hollywood stardom as Alexis Carrington in “Dynasty” and literary fame as the author of “Lady Boss,” respectively. No broadcaster or platform is officially attached yet, but Sony Pictures Television will take the six-part show out internationally.

“I am delighted that such a prestigious team wants to tell our story, and I know my sister Jackie would be as excited as I am to be involved,” Joan Collins said.

Jackie died in 2015, but her daughters have given their approval to the series. “Our mother always told us when we were growing up that ‘Girls can do anything!’ and ‘Joan & Jackie’ will fabulously depict how true that is,” they said in a statement.

Award-winning playwright Penelope Skinner (“The Village Bike,” “Linda”) will pen the series. “I am thrilled to be working on the fascinating story of these fabulous, iconic and powerful women,” she said. “There is far more to Joan and Jackie than diamonds and shoulder pads. These are two very special sisters whose lives are both aspirational and inspirational.”

The actresses who will play the glamorous go-getting sisters who helped define the 1980s has yet to be confirmed, but Nina Gold (“The Crown”) is attached.

Executive producers include Caroline Harvey, who was previously head of development at Anthony Minghella and Sydney Pollack’s production company, Mirage Enterprises. Faye Ward (“The Crown”), Hannah Farrell (“Suffragette”) and Sally Greene (“Billy Elliot the Musical”) will also exec produce.

Source: https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/jo...-series-stan-ollie-producer-fable-1203142448/

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wonder if it'll be anything like "Feud: Bette and Joan."

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
I wonder if it'll be anything like "Feud: Bette and Joan."

If Joan has ok´d this, I don´t think it will be so. It would be funny if this would eventually become something along the lines of that "Dynasty" prequel that most of us would have loved to see instead of WC mess...meaning the times it may be set at, of course, not the facts described at all.

"Loulou? Oui, c´est MOI!!"​

rayray

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Here's hoping it's as good as French and Saunders' "Lucky Bitches."

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Oh how exciting. I'm thinking this will be like an good old fashioned miniseries kind of thing. I bet it's better than nuDynasty. It wouldn't have to try that hard anyway, but I bet it is.

So far the producer credits and casting director sound promising. I think this could be a quality production.

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'd love to see how Jackie became a writer in the first place, and what it was that made her so successful.
Was it the plan to become the next Jacqueline Susann?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'd love to see how Jackie became a writer in the first place, and what it was that made her so successful.
Was it the plan to become the next Jacqueline Susann?
I have been watching Tales Of The City and More Tales Of The City over the last few days and I think that Armistead Maupin might have been the new Jacqueline Susan.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
How come I've never seen those mini-series? This needs to be rectified, unless it's horrible, you didn't mention how good or bad it was...

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have been watching Tales Of The City and More Tales Of The City over the last few days and I think that Armistead Maupin might have been the new Jacqueline Susan.

Apparently there's a new version coming out on Netflix sometime in 2019.

Have you watched this doc? Also on Netflix. It's pretty good.

How come I've never seen those mini-series? This needs to be rectified, unless it's horrible, you didn't mention how good or bad it was...

Willie I am shocked!! You should definitely check it out.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I mean Billy Campbell gets it on with Thomas Gibson. I don't care what it's like... That alone is enough for me. But really I found it to be really good. Well the first one is the best, the sequel recast a couple of characters but it wasn't terrible. The first one is also much more authentically 1970s the second one just mostly looks kinda '90s.

It's insane plotting and some really trashy twists and turns but it's very enjoyable. I got the first two in a set on eBay for like £9.99. I plan on getting the third soon.

Apparently there's a new version coming out on Netflix.

Have you watched this doc? Also on Netflix. It's pretty good.
I'm excited for the Netflix version and to see where it all goes. I have also thought about checking out the books. I haven't seen the documentary but will check it out maybe tomorrow. They must be going to have to age up the cast for the Netflix series. I mean Laura Linney's character must be in her 70s. Olympia Dukakis' must be like 100 by now ?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just watched the trailer on YouTube...it doesn't look very seventies, but more like Melrose Place with a glitter ball (*panics*)

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Just watched the trailer on YouTube...it doesn't look very seventies, but more like Melrose Place with a glitter ball (*panics*)
The first one is definitely more '70s. I got the Melrose Place thing too, with that central house set. It's also a little Hitchcock-y, well tries to be, and uses the theme from Vertigo a bit as well as referencing the film and using the same locations.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
So apparently this biopic miniseries is really going ahead. It's produced by Sony Pictures and some of the people behind Netflix's The Crown and the Stan and Ollie biopic from last year. Its sounding like it's shaping up to be a quality production. I'm even more excited now. Joan was on Good Morning Britain a few weeks back and mentioned they were casting her younger self for it and that she had someone she really wanted and that they had met and had lunch.
I wonder if it's Gemma Arterton, I remember she mentioned a few years back that she thought she would be a good Alexis is a possible remake of Dynasty.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes... I think we see more of Luke Fuller than Steven Carrington ever did.

And I know I've said it many times already, but it never ceases to amaze me how Bill Campbell has looked dynamite sexy in every single thing he appeared, except on DYNASTY. Kudos to the show's producers for neutralizing Steven's on-screen partner's sex appeal.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
And I know I've said it many times already, but it never ceases to amaze me how Bill Campbell has looked dynamite sexy in every single thing he appeared, except on DYNASTY. Kudos to the show's producers for neutralizing Steven's on-screen partner's sex appeal.
Although I still found him hot on DYNASTY, he looked so corruptible.