• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Boris Johnson and Other Tory Liars

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Guess BoJo and his pals forgot to pay the Daily Mail last week.....

1600453333525.png

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Government's handling of the Covid-19 crisis has been so dire that even their most sycophantic, devoted supporters in the media can no longer defend them.

Getting even worse. You've probably heard about the £10,000 fine for failing to self-isolate..... however read between the lines and it's an attempt to deter people from getting tested you get fined if 'you test positive or are contacted by contact tracing and told to self-isolate.' In other words if you don't get tested, you can't be fined, so why would anybody get tested?

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just realised that Kier Starmers speech at the virtual Labour conference is on Tuesday.

That's the same day that the PM has suddenly decided is 'just perfect' for a national address on his winter lockdown strategy announcement, is he really resorting to that level of petty politicking 4 years before an election?

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just realised that Kier Starmers speech at the virtual Labour conference is on Tuesday.

That's the same day that the PM has suddenly decided is 'just perfect' for a national address on his winter lockdown strategy announcement, is he really resorting to that level of petty politicking 4 years before an election?
Johnson likes large public gestures over well thought out policy and strategy. I predict we will learn little from him that is new over what we have already seen on the news and in Parliament. However, he likes the public address to give the impression that he has taken control of the situation and decisive when in reality his inaction and incompetence has killed thousands of people.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
36. The Public Are To Blame For The Raise In Covid Infections

During his broadcast to the nation, Boris Johnson blamed breaches of the lockdown regulations for recent rise in Covid-19 infections. However, the truth is the population that cooperated with lockdown and accepted restrictions while it was the government that failed on a whole range of responses to the crisis including:
  • locking down too late,
  • PPE shortages
  • vulnerable patients discharged to care homes without tests
  • driving people back to work and schools
  • Eat Out To Spread The Virus
  • the collapse in a test and trace system after it was handed to profiteering private contractors.
This has been a national disaster caused by the government's failure, not the public.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Johnson likes large public gestures over well thought out policy and strategy. I predict we will learn little from him that is new over what we have already seen on the news and in Parliament. However, he likes the public address to give the impression that he has taken control of the situation and decisive when in reality his inaction and incompetence has killed thousands of people.

It's about media management, nothing more. There's absolutely no reason these couldn't have been brought in yesterday alongside the press conference by discredited scientists. Just look at the press this morning, what should have been papers full of 'Take a New Look At Labour' are cow-towing to the rubbish media management of Cummings. Notice how Johnson was suited, booted and deliberately well-groomed in that presser last night unlike in previous ones (one of the big things the Tories are scared of is how clean-cut and statesmen like Starmer looks, so of course they're attempting to polish their own turd.)

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
This has been a national disaster caused by the government's failure, not the public.

And it continues....

The new rule with all the pubs and restaurants closing at the same time will lead to many people walking around city centres at the same time. I have no idea why he thinks a 10pm closure is going to help, and if we do need to have a closing time, then at least stagger between pubs and restaurants, not have everyone coming out at the same time and intentionally spreading it quicker.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And it continues....

The new rule with all the pubs and restaurants closing at the same time will lead to many people walking around city centres at the same time. I have no idea why he thinks a 10pm closure is going to help, and if we do need to have a closing time, then at least stagger between pubs and restaurants, not have everyone coming out at the same time and intentionally spreading it quicker.

This is a bit disingenious, the pubs can't sit anymore people than they were. Most shut at 11pm anyway.

Table service is a far bigger issue. Massively reduces the number of people who can sit in a pub.

Apparently Kier Starmer is popping on TV tonight for a 'right of reply broadcast' which should be interesting. Polls are narrowing but there seems to be a floor of 40% who just won't leave the Tories however much of a mess they make, maybe that will change after Brexit.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Covid-19 has no awareness of the time, it won't infect people at 9:59 pm but not at 10. If the clown was serious about getting Covid-19 under control he would shut pubs completely until the infection rate has fallen significantly. 10pm rule looks like a concession to Tory donors like Wetherspoons owner Tim Martin who want to keep trading, even if only for a more limited time, because their profit is more important to them than the wider public's health.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Covid-19 has no awareness of the time, it won't infect people at 9:59 pm but not at 10. If the clown was serious about getting Covid-19 under control he would shut pubs completely until the infection rate has fallen significantly. 10pm rule looks like a concession to Tory donors like Wetherspoons owner Tim Martin who want to keep trading, even if only for a more limited time, because their profit is more important to them than the wider public's health.

Honestly there's very little reason to shut every pub anyway. Shut ones that aren't enforcing social distancing and be done with it. The primary transmission is in confined spaces and home environments, we should encouraging people to meet family in pubs and restaurants - if you shut them people will still meet just in far more dangerous places.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Honestly there's very little reason to shut every pub anyway. Shut ones that aren't enforcing social distancing and be done with it. The primary transmission is in confined spaces and home environments, we should encouraging people to meet family in pubs and restaurants - if you shut them people will still meet just in far more dangerous places.
I don't agree. Pubs are enclosed areas in which people gather in large numbers and can't wear face coverings. Those are exactly the kind of conditions in which Covid-19 can spread rapidly. Beer gardens and other outside areas are fine but not indoors. The choice we have to make is what do we value more: our health or the health of the economy? My view is that the economy can be revived but you can't revive a the corpse of a covid-19 victim.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't agree. Pubs are enclosed areas in which people gather in large numbers and can't wear face coverings. Those are exactly the kind of conditions in which Covid-19 can spread rapidly. Beer gardens and other outside areas are fine but not indoors. The choice we have to make is what do we value more: our health or the health of the economy? My view is that the economy can be revived but you can't revive a the corpse of a covid-19 victim.

They're enclosed areas where you as of tomorrow have to sit at a table socially distanced from everybody else and in my area only go to the pub with those from your own household, and wear a face mask every time you get up from your table even to go for a shit, I'm absolutely fine with keeping pubs open - shut down the ones that don't enforce social distancing, don't. It makes far more sense for people to meet in that environment, than in their own homes - which is still permissible in much of the country.

As someone who lost my job as a result of Covid and has had no financial help from the government through this entire period despite having to shield for 4-5 months of it, and is now struggling with the associated problems of long term unemployment and poor health trying to return to work, my views is that the deaths associated with lockdown need to also be factored when discussing lockdown measures and restrictions. However much mitigation we take, Covid will still kill people over the course of time, you can treat someone when they contract Covid and those treatments are becoming more effective everybody. You can't resuscitate people who commit suicide due to rising unemployment, businesses going to the wall and social isolation caused by aggressive lockdown policies.

Last edited:

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Funny how the press conferences have been wheeled out again....

As soon as polls show Labour equal or leading the polls. (Governments tend to rate higher in a crisis, so if they can manufacture the feeling were still in one - obviously good for them)

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Funny how the press conferences have been wheeled out again....

As soon as polls show Labour equal or leading the polls. (Governments tend to rate higher in a crisis, so if they can manufacture the feeling were still in one - obviously good for them)
They never should have been stopped because it gave everyone the impression that the crisis was over and they could go back to behaviours which spread the virus.

Yesterday, his incompetence in describing his own government's anti-Covid policy made it necessary to have a press conference to attempt to set the record straight. Everyday we see what a useless, lying clown we elected to be our leader.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They never should have been stopped because it gave everyone the impression that the crisis was over and they could go back to behaviours which spread the virus.

Yesterday, his incompetence in describing his own government's anti-Covid policy made it necessary to have a press conference to attempt to set the record straight. Everyday we see what a useless, lying clown we elected to be our leader.

Tonight is even worse.

He says there are national and local rules and that people will pick upon discrepancies and complexities - but that they should check the guidance online and also use their own common sense.

He's essentially telling people to come up with their own interpretation of the rules. To be honest. I'm beyond giving a f***. Just ditch all the rules - we've been under a strict local lockdown for months here - nobodies following it anymore.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
While we continue to follow the rules from this buffoon we have in charge, it also continues that those connected to Boris will continue to ignore the rules.

Boris Johnson's father has said he is "extremely sorry" after being photographed shopping without wearing a face covering.

Stanley Johnson was pictured in the Daily Mirror newspaper at a newsagents in west London on Tuesday, appearing to be breaking the rules by not covering his mouth and nose.

It comes after fines increased to £200 last week for first time offenders who fail to wear a face covering in accordance with government guidance.

Speaking to the newspaper, Mr Johnson said he may not be "100% up to speed" with current rules as he had just returned to England after three weeks abroad.

"I'm extremely sorry for the slip up and I would urge absolutely everybody to do everything they can to make sure they do follow the rules about masks and social distancing.

"The fact this was my first day back in the UK after three weeks abroad is, I am sure, no excuse for not knowing the rules."

The lot of them literally make me sick!

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The lot of them literally make me sick!

I know it's early days but I honestly could see a majority for Labour in 2024 (although I have a lot of complaints about the current Labour front-bench, anything is better than this shower of shit we have at the moment.) The Tories have managed to give up a 55% high in the polls in April, and a 26% lead from the same period and now polling 40/40 with Labour and behind in one poll.

That's an insane drop in polling over 6 months.

And the majority of their biggest challenges have not come through yet. The economic impact of Covid (which they deferred, leading to much of their high poll rating) and the impact of Brexit.

Whilst polls obviously mean very little so far away from an election, backbench Tory MPs and those in marginal seats must be shitting themselves. There is a clear trend with Starmer's Labour that it's actually cutting through to those who were voting Tory because they couldn't stand Corbyn, if he can keep the far left on side (or Boris fucks up so badly it becomes 'anyone but Boris' it could have just been long enough to stop blaming 'the last Labour government' by 2024.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I know it's early days but I honestly could see a majority for Labour in 2024 (although I have a lot of complaints about the current Labour front-bench, anything is better than this shower of shit we have at the moment.) The Tories have managed to give up a 55% high in the polls in April, and a 26% lead from the same period and now polling 40/40 with Labour and behind in one poll.

That's an insane drop in polling over 6 months.

And the majority of their biggest challenges have not come through yet. The economic impact of Covid (which they deferred, leading to much of their high poll rating) and the impact of Brexit.

Whilst polls obviously mean very little so far away from an election, backbench Tory MPs and those in marginal seats must be shitting themselves. There is a clear trend with Starmer's Labour that it's actually cutting through to those who were voting Tory because they couldn't stand Corbyn, if he can keep the far left on side (or Boris fucks up so badly it becomes 'anyone but Boris' it could have just been long enough to stop blaming 'the last Labour government' by 2024.
I don't share your optimism. In the UK we have the most vicious partisan right wing media in the western world and once the Covid-19 crisis is over they will turn their attention on destroying Keir Stamer. The Tories will dump Johnson if they think he is a liability and install someone they think is more likely to win and present themselves as a new government and the gullible electorate will just lap it all up.