• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Boris Johnson and Other Tory Liars

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Oh and Liz Truss - equalities minister - claims it's not her job to condemn white supremacists.....
That's because she is one. She is the most odious person in the cabinet and she has a lot of competition for that title.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't share your optimism. In the UK we have the most vicious partisan right wing media in the western world and once the Covid-19 crisis is over they will turn their attention on destroying Keir Stamer. The Tories will dump Johnson if they think he is a liability and install someone they think is more likely to win and present themselves as a new government and the gullible electorate will just lap it all up.

The thing is Starmer is in that positive zone near Blair, as far as the Labour party is concerned that makes him electable.

Obviously it's very early in his tenor, and it's very easy to be popular when you have no policies, as they say, so the test in the next few years. A majority is probably a bit of stretch - stranger things have happened though - but a Labour led government is more than possible. The issue is always that a Labour leader who gets the support of the press is not normally a Labour leader who gets any support from their party. The SNP are the big problem - as long as they continue to win most seats in Scotland, Labour floaters in England panic about a coalition with the SNP, and Labour's chances are diminished nationally due too poor success in Scotland. Essentially leaving Labour with only one option - convincing enough Southern Tories to vote for them.** What's really need is a co-ordinated alliance of the left that takes in Labour, Green, SNP, Liberal Democrat and Plaid and stands a single candidate in each constituency, but unfortunately there's not enough common ground on key issues.

The issue's with the chasm between what he promised to get elected in the party and what he's delivering regards the Labour's left are already starting to show through. The Overseas Operations Bill will be a big test, if he whips for it, without significant amendments to it, then he risks left wing MPs resigning the whip or forcing him health into sacking them or becoming embroiled into an ongoing left v centre battle for 4 years with Corbyn - which will bring 'disunited Labour' back to the forefront and give the press a field day.

2029 is probably the earliest we could realistically see a majority Labour government, by which point the Tories will have likely ditched Johnson (if he takes them into 2024 election*)

*This assumes the election is in 2024, with the scrapping of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act due to be put through at some point in the next year or so, it will simultaneously abolish term limits - which it abolished itself, so without any legislation to re-instate term limits, Johnson can essentially call the election whenever he wants - which will obviously give him a huge advantage.

**For all that the 2019 Tory victory has been described as a landslide this is primarily to do with the 11.5% lead in the popular vote over Labour. (which bizarrely is 0.1% lower than the Lib Dems total vote, which might explain where a lot of the 40.0% who voted Labour in 2017 went and where Starmer needs to look out to).

An 80 seat majority wouldn't make me overly comfortable as a PM.

After all that's only 40 seats to lose, which isn't as uncommon as you'd think.

For example in 2005 won a 66 seat majority and then lost it in the 2010 election.
And in 2001 he had 167 seat majority, losing 101 seats in the 2005 election. (a similar loss would take away Boris's majority)
And in 1987 Thatcher won a landslide of 102 seats only for it to fall to 21 seats under Major.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
After 10 years, three Conservative-led governments and 4 Conservative election victories, James Cleverly blames Boris's problems on 'the country we inherited from Labour'.
And this is one of the many reasons why they are failing now.

They focus far too much on throwing the blame wherever they can. I've lost count at how much time they have spent blaming others this year.

Boris is fueled by some kind of energy in which he comes across as a leader, but it's only words and nothing more. I would like to credit him for being a great liar, but he even fails at that. One of his terrible qualities is to switch off when someone is talking to him. He is as delusional as Trump when it comes to knowing what his country needs.

Simply put, the party are dreamers that can't deliver.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And this is one of the many reasons why they are failing now.

They focus far too much on throwing the blame wherever they can. I've lost count at how much time they have spent blaming others this year.

Boris is fueled by some kind of energy in which he comes across as a leader, but it's only words and nothing more. I would like to credit him for being a great liar, but he even fails at that. One of his terrible qualities is to switch off when someone is talking to him. He is as delusional as Trump when it comes to knowing what his country needs.

If you're ever bored there's a series of lectures on post-war elections on YouTube for three by Vernan Bogdar on Gresham College (a free lecture college) that are well worth a watch. He covers the subject of why people vote Labour and why people vote Tory in one of them and I'm inclined to agree with his overall assessment that the public vote Conservative out of fear more than anything else.

The narrative of fear is what has often returned large landslides - in 1983 the public fear that the trade unions might gain more power under a Foot government, in 2019 out of fear that a Labour led rainbow coalition might be open to cancelling Brexit. Cleverly is just trying to play on that inner instinct of feeling fear regards Labour's economic competence, what he's completely neglecting is that Johnson's government has essentially shown itself to be economically incompetent already, so it's a bard card to play.

The far more concerning thing is the cabinet and Cummings led tactic of ignoring questioning from Labour MPs and others in parliament and accusing them of trying to sow division, as if that's not what the opposition party in a democracy is meant to do. The most egregious example of this came from Matt Hancock the other day, I can't help that think a Speaker without Cummings hand up his backside would have addressed this.....

Matt Hancock is so much worse and more odious as he's seems to believe he and his government are above criticism....

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
The Republic of Ireland are on the verge of a complete national lockdown. Meanwhile, Boris' mate, Arlene, says Northern Ireland doesn't need one. You know because the virus won't cross the border. The invisible border.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Republic of Ireland are on the verge of a complete national lockdown. Meanwhile, Boris' mate, Arlene, says Northern Ireland doesn't need one. You know because the virus won't cross the border. The invisible border.

The DUP aren't particularly big supports of Boris or his Brexit plans, one of the reasons for the 2017-2019 parliament becoming a mess was DUP falling out with the Tories.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
The DUP aren't particularly big supports of Boris or his Brexit plans, one of the reasons for the 2017-2019 parliament becoming a mess was DUP falling out with the Tories.

I know, I'm from Northern Ireland , but Arlene's head is so far up Westminster's arse (I've actually seen her in public wearing a union jack scarf) that she has shown she doesn't really care about the people here. If she did, the fallout never would have happened in he first place - she was too busy trying to sell us up the river, and it backed fire on her evil ass.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) yesterday set out plans to raise the wages of MPs by 4.1 per cent in line with the public sector's three-month annual growth figure.

The proposals would see all MPs receive a pay rise of £3,360, taking their salaries to £85,291.

Meanwhile, the rest of the employees in the public sector don't get half of that and that's those who are still lucky to have a job.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
37. The Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine being approved by the medicines regulator

Today the Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the reason why the UK has been able to approve the vaccine first was “Because we’ve left the EU, we’ve been able to move faster". This was a bare-faced lie. In the Brexit transition period we are still bound by EU rules and the approval was granted under those rules. Dr June Raine, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) boss who approved the vaccine said : “We’ve been able to authorise supply of this vaccine under provisions under European law which exist until January 1st.”

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Time to bump this today, today's backpedalling announcement has to be one of the biggest displays of incompetence by a government in my lifetime.

Absolutely livid at the draconian nature of the restrictions, would allowing folk to stay over into Boxing Day or on Christmas Eve really be that big an issue, family doing this would likely have spent less time with us than a similar family visiting a local family in the morning to the evening. Absolutely disgusting to do this after most people have already planned and spent for Christmas - many families who otherwise would have been saving as much as they could.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Time to bump this today, today's backpedalling announcement has to be one of the biggest displays of incompetence by a government in my lifetime.

Absolutely livid at the draconian nature of the restrictions, would allowing folk to stay over into Boxing Day or on Christmas Eve really be that big an issue, family doing this would likely have spent less time with us than a similar family visiting a local family in the morning to the evening. Absolutely disgusting to do this after most people have already planned and spent for Christmas - many families who otherwise would have been saving as much as they could.

My issue isn't the introduction of new restrictions today but the fact that these weren't introduced earlier when the scientists requested them. Had he done that the virus would have been more contained by now so the rules could be relaxed more over the Christmas period. Now people have made plans and they have to be cancelled at the 11th hour much like it was for Muslims who had to cancel their preparations for Eid earlier in the year at a day's notice. Apparently, it was Rishi (eat out to spread Covid) Sunak who most strongly argued against stronger restrictions earlier.

Johnson may be good for funny appearances on TV show like Have I Got News For You but when it comes to leading the country at a moment of crisis he is not only useless, he has been dangerous and caused the unnecessary deaths of tens of thousands of people. I am furious with him and Sunak.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
37. The Speed of Government's Response To The Pandemic

Yesterday bullying Home Secretary Priti Patel said in relation to the Tory government's handling of the Covid-19 crisis “The government has consistently, throughout this year, been ahead of the curve in terms of proactive measures.” This is not only a blatant lie but it demonstrates that she thinks the British public are fools because it's clear to everyone that they have been hopelessly behing from the very start.

Britain was too slow to go into the first lockdown, which experts have estimated costed about 20,000 unnecessary deaths, to slow in getting NHS and care workers adequate personal protective equipment, too slow to response to the virus ripping through care homes, too slow to provide financial support for self-employed workers, too slow to introduce and effective widespread testing system, too slow to response to calls to support children who were going hungry, too slow to fix the school exams fiasco, too slow introduce a working test and trace system, too slow to go into the second lockdown and too slow to put introduce control measures for the Christmas period. Yet this idiot Home Secretary thinks we are "ahead of the curve". The only curve this government has put us ahead in is the one comparing deaths in different countries.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
38. Mental Health Care

At yesterday Downing Street briefing, Boris Johnson said his Government has put "another £12 billion" into NHS mental health care. This was a lie. After 10 years of Tory cuts which has lead to the number of mental health nurses falling by a third and the number of hospital beds available for mental health patients falling by 5000, the government are only putting in £500 million into metal health care, 24 times less than the dishonest figure the Prime Minister claimed.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oops, I've gone wrong with my numbering, back on track now:

40. Empty Supermarket Shelves In Northern Ireland
BBC News are reporting on empty supermarket shelves in Northern Ireland, something the government promised would not happen. They were lying because they know this would be a likely result of Brexit. Michael Gove today claimed "We always said there would be disruption". They never did, this is a lie upon their original lie.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Oops, I've gone wrong with my numbering, back on track now:

40. Empty Supermarket Shelves In Northern Ireland
BBC News are reporting on empty supermarket shelves in Northern Ireland, something the government promised would not happen. They were lying because they know this would be a likely result of Brexit. Michael Gove today claimed "We always said there would be disruption". They never did, this is a lie upon their original lie.

Was just about to talk about this. It's awful. I mean there is food but there are really noticeable shortages in Tesco (IN THE PIZZA SECTION!!!) and various other areas such as fish - salmon in particular. I'm actually quite frightened now. Are they going to let us go hungry? One potato famine was enough thanks. But I'm pretty sure Arlene is alright.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Was just about to talk about this. It's awful. I mean there is food but there are really noticeable shortages in Tesco (IN THE PIZZA SECTION!!!) and various other areas such as fish - salmon in particular. I'm actually quite frightened now. Are they going to let us go hungry? One potato famine was enough thanks. But I'm pretty sure Arlene is alright.
Boris Johnson doesn't care about Northern Ireland, the way he sold out Northern Ireland to achieve his Brexit deal showed that.