• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Bowie..will live on Forever and Ever!

That Bowie Girl

Soap Chat Rebel
LV

Reaction score
Which led me today to do something I've never done before and listen to some Bowie songs in other languages :D
I have so much to say about this but right now I am too tired so I will get back to you in the morning.

@That Bowie Girl, do you have any favorites of Bowie's during the 2000's and 2010's? This era of Bowie is the most unknown to me. :confuse:Any recommendations from Heathen, Reality, The Next Day, and Blackstar? I am familiar with the songs Blackstar and Lazarus as you know and did enjoy them.

He released Heathen in 2002 and then Reality in 2003 then in 2004 he had a heart attack on stage during the Reality tour. He went very quiet for years musically and never toured again sadly enough. He did do some acting and songs for soundtracks. He did an unreleased album Toys in 2011 that was leaked to the internet and is really good. His next album was in 2013 The Next Day then his final album Blackstar. Did you know all of this? Did I get long winded here lol.

I do have the Reality tour on DVD and this album is fantastic. I loved all of these albums.

I will post some songs tomorrow.

Do you have any favorite songs from these albums @Michelle Stevens ?

That Bowie Girl

Soap Chat Rebel
LV

Reaction score
Which led me today to do something I've never done before and listen to some Bowie songs in other languages :D

Space Oddity in Italian
It's been so long since I heard this I had almost forgotten about it. He was so amazing. It's fun how you can sing along too it like it's in English. I also love his German songs. :danc:

This is not in another language but here is some commercials he did in Japan

. I was rubbish at languages at school, but with Bowie's help I could actually improve
Same here and I always wanted to learn German :spinning:

How did he manage to walk (never mind dance) in high wedges? and then there was all his different hairstyles,

oh and I liked him in a scarf...
He was so fashion forward for his time. Here he is in a dress.

and he looks fabulous!

Scarfs lets talk scarves..............

I could sit here and post him in his scarves forever. :D

and his many many hairstyles that he always looked so good in.

That Bowie Girl

Soap Chat Rebel
LV

Reaction score
He wore his clothes with that unique Bowie attitude and confidence, as we know he could literally wear anything and get away with it. I enjoyed his story in the interview I posted, about meeting Tony Blair and how he wore a smart suit along with a pair of stilettos.

Also his shoe and boot collection must have had an impact and inspired the fashion industry...
Yes he did and your right I have no idea how he walked in some on the platform shoes and boots he wore. He fit his clothes they didn't fit him. He always looked so dashing.

In 2013 he won the award for the Best Fashion in Britain's History. :d1:

I can't get over how great looking this man was. :loony:

I could sit here and post pictures forever. :lmao:

@Mistletoe Stevens here are a few songs I said I would post for you.......

Blackstar is my favorite song from Blackstar which was amazing and I just love all the songs.

I could list every song from the Next Day it was fantastic!
Here is one for you.

Another album I loved Heathens!!!!

I have rambled on again..........:lmao:

:3:

Michelle Stevens

'The Lovely Michelle'
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Do you have any favorite songs from these albums @Michelle Stevens ?

I'm not too familiar with his work at this time so you advice will be informative.

@Mistletoe Stevens here are a few songs I said I would post for you.......

Blackstar is my favorite song from Blackstar which was amazing and I just love all the songs.

I could list every song from the Next Day it was fantastic!
Here is one for you.

Another album I loved Heathens!!!!

I have rambled on again..........:lmao:

:3:

Thank you for the listings. I will listen to them all and give my feedback. I did like Blackstar as I did know that one.

Ramble away my friend. You are a true fan. :hugs:

That Bowie Girl

Soap Chat Rebel
LV

Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with his work at this time so you advice will be informative.
All the albums can be heard on youtube so I would love to hear your comments on them.

I am when I get time going to try and find some songs from Conversation Piece to post them.

I keep listening to the first CD called Home Demos. It's great! I love hearing him when he was so young. He sounds so much more like Folk than he did after these early years. His voice as always is the best male voice I have ever heard. IMHO of course.

Last edited:

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scarfs lets talk scarves..............

I could sit here and post him in his scarves forever.
The way he changed his image (characters) was so clever, he almost looks like a different person in each photo.

his many many hairstyles that he always looked so good in.

I was going to choose my favourite hairstyle and its impossible :lol:

He fit his clothes they didn't fit him.
This is very true and I don't think many people could wear clothes like he did with confidence and such panache.

I love hearing him when he was so young.
I am always fascinated when I hear his early songs, he sounds so ... well, young :lol: and innocent, little did he know back then what a legend he would become.

He sounds so much more like Folk than he did after these early years.
I agree and I also hear some musical (show) type sounds in his early work such as these two ....

which brings me back to the interview (I posted earlier in this thread) he had with Jeremy Paxman, when Bowie said originally he planned to write musicals.

also his humour shines through :D

This is from 1967 and beautiful ...

Its hard to believe that only two years later he would release SPACE ODDITY, he was so diverse.

Last edited:

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
I liked how he looked in Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence :)

This image I still find disturbing ...

:eek::eek:

Kate Bush made a wonderful and insightful tribute to David when he passed ....

"He was intelligent, imaginative, brave, charismatic, cool, sexy and truly inspirational both visually and musically," Bush wrote. "He created such staggeringly brilliant work, yes, but so much of it, and it was so good. There are great people who make great work, but who else has left a mark like his? No one like him. He was ours. Wonderfully eccentric in a way that only an Englishman could be. Whatever journey his beautiful soul is now on, I hope he can somehow feel how much we all miss him."

Michelle Stevens

'The Lovely Michelle'
LV

Reaction score
Awards
With Christmas just a week away I found this duet of Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy with Bowie and Bing Crosby in '77 just prior to Crosby's death.

:14:

That Bowie Girl

Soap Chat Rebel
LV

Reaction score
The way he changed his image (characters) was so clever, he almost looks like a different person in each photo.
He was a one and only. I doubt we will ever experience another artist like him

I was going to choose my favourite hairstyle and its impossible
I will get back to you on this. I just love his tussled hair look.......I can't see to find the photo at the moment. :)

This is very true and I don't think many people could wear clothes like he did with confidence and such panache.
Did you see my comment or did you already know he won the Best Dressed Fashion Award in the History of Britain in 2013?

I am always fascinated when I hear his early songs, he sounds so ... well, young :lol: and innocent, little did he know back then what a legend he would become.
It wasn't for the lack of trying on his part. He had one flop after the other in his early career.

This was the first song that he ever wrote that actually was recorded on an album........huge flop. This was when he was with the Manish Boys also called Davy Jones and The Lower Third.

This is his last song as Davy Jones......after this one David Bowie appeared. :love5:
This was recorded with the band Davy Jones and the Lower Third.........another flop. But I love to listen to them all. Their signature look was putting their ties over their shoulder. Even then he tried to be different lol.

I agree and I also hear some musical (show) type sounds in his early work such as these two ....
I posted this before but if you love his early work you should see David Bowie: Finding Fame. It is a wonderful documentary of his early work.

This is from 1967 and beautiful ...
I love that song and it's another one he wrote about Hermoine. :danc:

iked how he looked in Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence
Have you watched his movies? Big shocker here but I have never seen this one. :eck:

I have seen I think almost all of them and I just bought Absolute Beginners, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Ziggy Stardust the Movie and the Hunger so I can do a Bowie marathon. I haven't seen these movies in years.

I can barely remember this seeing this on TV but he played The Elephant Man. I can't find it anywhere to buy. But here is a clip of his brillance.

The Original version of Space Oddity which is on Converation Piece was originally written for 2 artists to sing. I do love the one he did alone the best but this one is awesome too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7laET8WU4vA

Last edited:

That Bowie Girl

Soap Chat Rebel
LV

Reaction score
Kate Bush made a wonderful and insightful tribute to David when he passed ....

"He was intelligent, imaginative, brave, charismatic, cool, sexy and truly inspirational both visually and musically," Bush wrote. "He created such staggeringly brilliant work, yes, but so much of it, and it was so good. There are great people who make great work, but who else has left a mark like his? No one like him. He was ours. Wonderfully eccentric in a way that only an Englishman could be. Whatever journey his beautiful soul is now on, I hope he can somehow feel how much we all miss him."

This was so touching coming from Kate Bush...........it made me cry. She was spot on with this quote.

ith Christmas just a week away I found this duet of Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy with Bowie and Bing Crosby in '77 just prior to Crosby's death.
I love this duet but there is almost always a story behind what Bowie does. He hated being on this show and he didn't like Bing Crosby. He even called Bing the butler when he first met him. He was touring in England at the time he was asked to do this and his Mother loved Bing so he did it for her. He also hated the song Little Drummer Boy and refused to sing it. In an hour he came up with the Little Drummer Boy and Peace on Earth medley. When it came out as an official release he was not happy. Sometimes even Bowie's ego showed thru. :D

Michelle Stevens

'The Lovely Michelle'
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I love this duet but there is almost always a story behind what Bowie does. He hated being on this show and he didn't like Bing Crosby. He even called Bing the butler when he first met him. He was touring in England at the time he was asked to do this and his Mother loved Bing so he did it for her. He also hated the song Little Drummer Boy and refused to sing it. In an hour he came up with the Little Drummer Boy and Peace on Earth medley. When it came out as an official release he was not happy. Sometimes even Bowie's ego showed thru. :D

Very informative! Most artist at Bowie's level are perfectionist and can have an ego. I can't fault him for that.

Did Bowie call Bing a butler to his face? :eck:

Does Bowie have any songs he sang for Christmas? This Bowie/Crosby duet is the closet thing I could find and I was looking.

That Bowie Girl

Soap Chat Rebel
LV

Reaction score
Very informative! Most artist at Bowie's level are perfectionist and can have an ego. I can't fault him for that.

You are right and for the most part Bowie didn't show his ego at least I didn't see it come out much but when it did bam! lol

He didn't do Christmas songs..........this is a brilliant concert he did at Christmas time.

Almost Acoustic Christmas is an annual concert run by the Los Angeles radio station KROQ-FM.

David’s performance was recorded on Sunday December 6th, 1997.

It's brilliant if you have the time to listen. :dance:

and the way he looks is one of my favorites! :D

He released Kingdom Come on his Scary Monster Album....as close to a Christmas song as I can find. He didn't write this it was written by Tom Verlaine.

I forgot to add your question and yes when Bing opened the door for Bowie to come in at his home he called him the butler. :lol:

Last edited:

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Did you see my comment or did you already know he won the Best Dressed Fashion Award in the History of Britain in 2013?
Yes, I was very impressed by this, the award was well deserved :D he wore his clothes (especially the outlandish outfits) with confidence and he looked good in anything. He could still pull off wearing a regular suit and make it look stylish ....

This was the first song that he ever wrote that actually was recorded on an album........huge flop. This was when he was with the Manish Boys also called Davy Jones and The Lower Third.
He sounds so different, his voice reminds me a bit like Adam Faith.

This was recorded with the band Davy Jones and the Lower Third.........another flop. But I love to listen to them all. Their signature look was putting their ties over their shoulder. Even then he tried to be different lol.
He sounds about 12 years old on this one :D I like this song though.

posted this before but if you love his early work you should see David Bowie: Finding Fame. It is a wonderful documentary of his early work.
Thank you for this and I have looked everywhere I can think of and haven't been able to find this documentary, I would love to see it.

Have you watched his movies? Big shocker here but I have never seen this one.
You mean :yikey: you haven't seen this Bowie movie?

Its quite a good film, although it is a war film, it won a bafta for Best Film Music . The score featured David Sylvian singing Forbidden Colours ....

Sylvian and Sakamoto

I've just read this - David Bowie was cast as Major Jack Celliers after director Nagisa Oshima saw him in a production of The Elephant Man on Broadway. He felt that Bowie had "an inner spirit that is indestructible".

I can barely remember this seeing this on TV but he played The Elephant Man. I can't find it anywhere to buy. But here is a clip of his brillance.
That was a wonderful clip to see, if he hadn't been a musician he could have just relied on his acting, I actually forgot he was David Bowie as I watched him portray someone else. The Elephant Man movie is one of my favourites,, its incredibly sad.

The Original version of Space Oddity which is on Converation Piece was originally written for 2 artists to sing. I do love the one he did alone the best but this one is awesome too.
Amazing! :bowing:bowing:bowing how special to hear this! its witnessing the beginning of this song ... wow!! I never even knew this recording existed.

This was so touching coming from Kate Bush...........it made me cry. She was spot on with this quote.
She has a good way with words and that quote was from her heart :)

I was reading an article over Christmas and it was about Princess Margaret's Lady in Waiting (Lady Glenconner) she is now in her 80s. Apparently Lady Glenconners family spent a lot of time in Mustique and she mentioned .....

"how the island became a private haven for royalty and rock star glitterati. Mick and Bianca Jagger and David Bowie were among those who enjoyed the seclusion of their luxury island homes" - " I remember several Christmases in the 1990s when Mick and David Bowie led the carol singing at the little bamboo church on the island, singing Away In A Manger in harmony with the locals who had absolutely no idea there were two world superstars in their midst." ....

Can you imagine David Bowie and Mick Jagger singing carols together? what a fantastic thought :D

Last edited:

That Bowie Girl

Soap Chat Rebel
LV

Reaction score
Yes, I was very impressed by this, the award was well deserved :D he wore his clothes (especially the outlandish outfits) with confidence and he looked good in anything. He could still pull off wearing a regular suit and make it look stylish ....
Now we need to talk about his oh so sexy lip biting.................:D

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

I found the photo's of my favorite hairstyle................it was in the 2000's I though he looked so sexy.....yes I use the word sexy a lot talking about him. :kiss:

Going back to when he was 17 his hairstyle was almost the same as in the 2000's.

I just loved this look but not when he had the beard and mustache why cover up that gorgeous face?

He sounds so different, his voice reminds me a bit like Adam Faith.
You are right he does sound like Adam. I have really been enjoying listening to this songs from a conversation piece. Here is another one from the album........it's with George Underwood his High School friend who was the one that punched Bowie in the eye (over a girl) forever changing the pupil and throwing off his perception. They remained friends for life.

I think I will continue in the next post this one is already long. :loony:

Last edited:

That Bowie Girl

Soap Chat Rebel
LV

Reaction score
He sounds about 12 years old on this one :D I like this song though.
I do too. He was fantastic from the beginning to the end of his 50 some years of giving us such joy and brilliant songs.

When he was 17 he belonged to the Society for the prevention of Cruelty to Long Haired Men.

Thank you for this and I have looked everywhere I can think of and haven't been able to find this documentary, I would love to see it.
It's on Showtime right now you could get a free trial for 7 days watch it then cancel it..........but beware Damien Lewis's show Billions is on Showtime.......you would have to check that out. :love5:

;)

You mean :yikey: you haven't seen this Bowie movie?

Its quite a good film, although it is a war film, it won a bafta for Best Film Music . The score featured David Sylvian singing Forbidden Colours ....

Sylvian and Sakamoto
Fantastic...thanks for posting and no I haven't seen that movie yet.........can you imagine that and I do like some war movies. :think: I have to correct this soon. :cool1

Amazing! :bowing:bowing:bowing how special to hear this! its witnessing the beginning of this song ... wow!! I never even knew this recording existed.
I actually found a song you haven't heard. :spinning:I am so glad you enjoyed it so much. I will try and post more like I just did with him and George. :D

Can you imagine David Bowie and Mick Jagger singing carols together? what a fantastic thought
I just love hearing these little tidbits about his life. I wish I was there! Mick and Bowie stayed good friends their whole lives. It does seem that once Bowie made a friend he stayed friends with them for life. I should have been one of those friends. :lol:

In Honor the the date he left us to live on Mars on January 10th here is a video I would like to share.

and this song...........

33.jpg

Last edited:

That Bowie Girl

Soap Chat Rebel
LV

Reaction score
@Ome @Long Lashes @Michelle Stevens

I was so happy to find this song from the time he was with Tin Machine. I wanted to share it because it's the only one he ever did in this genre of music and it makes me happy that I can hear him doing this song.

He's a little bit Country and a little bit Rock and Roll :D

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I was so happy to find this song

Oh, this is on Spotify, the studio version and the country version. I have the country version on one of my playlists because it's another style from the man.

That Bowie Girl

Soap Chat Rebel
LV

Reaction score
Oh, this is on Spotify, the studio version and the country version. I have the country version on one of my playlists because it's another style from the man.
I have heard it on the album but this is the first time I have seen that video with Tin Machine live or else I forgot about? Maybe the part of my brain named Bowie isn't at it's best right now. :D

I love that you have it on Spotify! :dance:

Tomorrow is Bowie's Birthday so I wanted to post a couple videos. The first one is a fan made one with his family who he loved more than anything else in this world.

:card:

The second one is of course my all time favorite!

:love7:

Michelle Stevens

'The Lovely Michelle'
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@Ome @Long Lashes @Michelle Stevens

I was so happy to find this song from the time he was with Tin Machine. I wanted to share it because it's the only one he ever did in this genre of music and it makes me happy that I can hear him doing this song.

It was great to see Bowie play some Country. In a way I would have liked to see him make a Country album just ... because ... if that makes sense. I'm sure an artist of his talents always want to explore other genres. Could you imagine the former Ziggy Stardust being a Country star? Not enough time in life to do everything.

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Now we need to talk about his oh so sexy lip biting.................:D

and he did it so beautifully ...

I found the photo's of my favorite hairstyle................it was in the 2000's I though he looked so sexy.....yes I use the word sexy a lot talking about him. :kiss:

Going back to when he was 17 his hairstyle was almost the same as in the 2000's.

He had a good head of hair and I liked his choppy cut, shoulder length style too :D

This was Bowie singing Life On Mars and I like his hair on this picture :kiss:

and Liked this hairstyle ...

I just loved this look but not when he had the beard and mustache why cover up that gorgeous face?

I agree he looked better without the beard. Although he looked mighty fine with short facial hair....

and I didn't mind him with a small mustache either....

Here is another one from the album........it's with George Underwood his High School friend who was the one that punched Bowie in the eye (over a girl) forever changing the pupil and throwing off his perception. They remained friends for life.
Oh I like this, thanks for posting. It was obviously recorded live and I love the sound of the guitar s....I can picture them in my mind playing and singing this.

who was the one that punched Bowie in the eye (over a girl) forever changing the pupil and throwing off his perception.
I had a friend at school who reminded me of Bowie because she also had a blue and a brown eye, she had unfortunately been in a car accident but apart from her eye changing colour she wasn't otherwise injured.

When he was 17 he belonged to the Society for the prevention of Cruelty to Long Haired Men.
This was hilarious :floor::floor: even when he was young his dry sense of humour was so sharp ..Lol On a serious note though, I would imagine they did get some grief for having long hair way back then :lol:

It's on Showtime right now you could get a free trial for 7 days watch it then cancel it..........but beware Damien Lewis's show Billions is on Showtime.......you would have to check that out.
Thank you for finding this out for me, I will look into it. David Bowie AND Damian Lewis :kiss:

It does seem that once Bowie made a friend he stayed friends with them for life. I should have been one of those friends. :lol:
Yes, you should have been one of his friends and then you could've introduced me to him too :D

In Honor the the date he left us to live on Mars on January 10th here is a video I would like to share.
Fantastic and emotional :10: he was a pioneer in how he reinvented himself, especially when it would've been safer and easier to stick with an image that was already successful.. I think this quote explains it better then I can ...

"If you feel safe in the area you're working in, then you're not working in the right area. Always go a little further into the water than you think you're capable of being in. Go a little out of your depth. And when you don't feel that your feet are quite touching the bottom, you're just in about the right place to do something exciting" - David Bowie

and this song...........
Oh wow! now that was both beautiful and very poignant :cry: thanks for sharing as this is another I've never heard before. And isn't Mike Garson fantastic too, he and Bowie worked so well together

listening to that made me smile again :D

I posted a comment about Olivia Newton John the other day about her becoming a dame and it reminded me of how David Bowie turned down an honour twice, once for a CBE in 2000 and again in 2003 when he was to be awarded a knighthood. He said at the time - "I would never have any intention of accepting anything like that. I seriously don't know what it's for. It's not what I spent my life working for. It's not my place to make a judgement on Jagger, it's his decision. But it's just not for me." -

I admired his stance on this because having an honour or being called Sir David Bowie was obviously not important to him (no offence to Olivia or anyone else).

Last edited: