Brian Cant has died

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
One of my favourite childhood presenters - as I'm sure he is for many.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40335213

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This is really sad news. When I was young I normally found Play School to be really boring but it was so much better when one of a small group of presenters was on the show (including Fred Harris and Derek Griffiths), my favourite of which was Brian Cant. What made him so good was that he was more than just a presenter, he was also a very good a comedy actor. He didn't just present the material he was given, he always seemed to be able to get some humour out of what he was doing. A sad loss.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Aw I do remember him. That's really sad :(

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
That song in the first video would never be shown on kids TV now would it? A strange nursery rhyme about women in a harem having their makeup applied by boys .

And be still my beating heart.... A young Jeremy Irons! I really missed out on some great stuff!

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
RIP Brian Cant - sympathies to his family
always watched Play School as a little girl and would guess if it was round, square or arched window

Always thought Hambel was incredibly ugly too as a doll!!

he was a talented presenter

altogether now Play away way , play away.........

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
it was so much better when one of a small group of presenters was on the show (including Fred Harris and Derek Griffiths), my favourite of which was Brian Cant.

Oh yes. There were a few that I always felt really happy to see. Brian, Floella Benjamin, Derek and a woman who looked a bit like Nanette Newman (I don't think she was actually Nanette, but I suppose it's possible).

That song in the first video would never be shown on kids TV now would it? A strange nursery rhyme about women in a harem having their makeup applied by boys .

And that routine. It's a bit After The Love Has Gone, is it not? Or Vogue, Girlie Show style. I hope the new Steps choreographer is watching.

And be still my beating heart.... A young Jeremy Irons!

I don't remember him on Play Away at all. And looking at him here I feel sure I would have remembered had I seen him.

always watched Play School as a little girl and would guess if it was round, square or arched window

Me too. I hardly ever got it right. Just like Bod's milkshakes. :(

Play away way , play away.........

It's a catchy tune, isn't it.

I have fond memories of a Play Away cassette I played ad infinitum when I was younger. Full of tracks like The Laughing Policeman and Turkey In The Straw (I'm sure at least one of these was performed by Brian). Even The Flumps were on there somewhere, doing their exercises ("Arms stretch, knees bend, wiggle your hips and touch your toes..."). I'm not ashamed to say I have quite recently taken a peek to see if I could find it on CD. I couldn't, more's the pity.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Derek Wilton in Corrie - his wife was a Blue Peter presenter, Sarah Long, she died young

also remeber someone called Chloe and Toni Arthur, always thought it strange aged 6 that she had a mans name lol

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I don't remember him on Play Away at all. And looking at him here I feel sure I would have remembered had I seen him.
He was gorgeous then. And his son Max is not too shabby right now is he?

upload_2017-6-20_19-32-14.jpeg

And that routine. It's a bit After The Love Has Gone, is it not? Or Vogue, Girlie Show style. I hope the new Steps choreographer is watching.
It was very, very camp wasn't it?

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
and a woman who looked a bit like Nanette Newman (I don't think she was actually Nanette, but I suppose it's possible).

Yes, she was one of that group of presenters that I liked, assuming we are talking about the same person. The one I'm thinking of was Carol Chell.

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was watching Brian Cant's appearance in the first episode of ITC's The Sentimental Agent (starring Carlos Thompson and Burt Kwouk) recently, where he plays a security service man. He appears in the Doctor Who story, The Dominators (starring Patrick Troughton) and gets shot dead.