Brian Clemens' Thriller (1973 - 1976)

I Am Boz

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Vanishing Point
Just to complete the Thriller episode list.
Episode 42 A Midsummer Nightmare.
Brian Blessed and Joanne Pettete star in a murder mystery with Shakespeare references. A young girl Annabella is murdered in a wood, and five years later her grieving uncle accidentally hires the wife of a detective to solve the mystery of who killed Annabella. The uncle believes the killer is Peter Ingram an ex actor who worked with Annabella on amateur drama productions and wants Jody Baxter (Pettet) to prove it. Lots of twists with Shakespeare's A Midsummer night's dream containing clues.

964887.jpg

Last edited:

I Am Boz

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Vanishing Point
Episode 43 Death In Deep Water

Bradford Dillman and Susan Farmer in the final instalment of the series. Gary Stevens is on the run from the mob who have sent a hitman over from the States to kill him. He is hiding in a remote fishing village in England, and one day a bikini clad beauty is forced ashore to Gary's remote shoreline while swimming after a sudden storm. " Blondie " and Gary form a friendship that takes a twist when she reveals that she's married to a rich 60 year old who she'd like to get rid of. Gary agrees help Blondie free herself for a share of the money, but can he trust her?
MV5BNzk2ZTBmOGMtZWViZC00YjQ3LWExODQtNTk0ZGVlZDc2YWNjL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDQ3NTQwMg...jpg

I Am Boz

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Vanishing Point
Episode 26.

View attachment 20813

I'm afraid I can't tell you anything about it because I dozed off several times.

?/10
Fell asleep eh ? Not a bad episode this, though a bit far fetched.
Judy Geeson stars as a widow recovering from the death of her husband in a car crash and is put on a train by her father, heading to London. She has recently been mentally ill and her father asks the train guard to keep an eye on her. Meanwhile defector Markov fails to meet a rendezvous with British intelligence to hand over papers because he is shot at in the street. Markov survives but insists he will only turn himself in to Hilary Vance ( Charles Gray), a well known raconteur with links to British Intelligence. Vance is on the same train as Helen (Geeson) heading to London to meet Markov. Vance is unmissable and unmistakable with an acidic and unpleasant personality, a penchant for ostentatious dressing, which is why Markov can be sure of his identity. An undercover agent is also on the train shadowing Vance , and a bride and groom on honeymoon make up the main players. The fun starts when Helen sees Vance dead on the floor of his sleeper cabin, but when she runs to tell officials Vance seems alive and well. Helen again sees Vance dead, in a body bag hanging on a door hook in her cabin, but again the body disappears and Vance seems alive and well and in the restaurant car complaining about his meal. Bob Mallory ( Jim Smillie) an Aussie Helen met at dinner seems sympathetic even though the others think she's gone mental again. The DI5 agent Barkley opens the door of his cabin and sees the bride with a gun, who then shoots him in the head. Helen gets another sighting of the dead Vance and is knocked on the head, when she regains consciousness Vance is standing over her along with Bob and the bride, Helen claims she just fainted, but when alone with Bob she confides in him, that she is now positive that Vance is dead and the other one is an impostor. Helen remembers seeing strangely a few scraps of confetti under the dead body of Vance, and this leads to her and Bob breaking into the honeymoon couple's cabin and ....a surprise. 7/10

ThrillerNightIsTheTimeForKilling2.jpg
download.jpeg

Last edited:

I Am Boz

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Vanishing Point
Just watched the above episode again last night, much more tense and watchable then I thought. Judy Geeson is great in this as is Charles Gray.
image-w1280.jpg

Spillard

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
The Shining
Just watched the above episode again last night, much more tense and watchable then I thought. Judy Geeson is great in this as is Charles Gray.
View attachment 25029

Brian Clemens was a little put out about the volume of the overdubbed train sounds on this episode when he chatted to me in researching my book 'A THRILLER in Every Corner'. He felt the volume was often over loud and drowned out some of the witty dialogue from Charles Gray. Fortunately, it remains somewhat audible. The director John Cooper also recalled several elements of the production which are quoted in the book.

THRILLER book

I Am Boz

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Vanishing Point
Brian Clemens was a little put out about the volume of the overdubbed train sounds on this episode when he chatted to me in researching my book 'A THRILLER in Every Corner'. He felt the volume was often over loud and drowned out some of the witty dialogue from Charles Gray. Fortunately, it remains somewhat audible. The director John Cooper also recalled several elements of the production which are quoted in the book.

THRILLER book
Have ordered my copy , thanks, look forward to reading this.

Spillard

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
The Shining
Many thanks and happy reading! Any questions arising once you've had the chance to delve in please feel free to ask, publicly here or there is a dedicated email at the front of the book.

Maybe you could post a 'rating' and a short review on the book's page at lulu in the fullness of time?