• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Calling into work sick.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I have been at my current job for just over four years. In that time I haven't ever called in sick except for when I was hospitalized with diabetes. I was in hospital for a week and then off for another week or so but then I went right back to work.
I have went to work when I probably shouldn't have, with colds and flu where I would be almost high on painkillers.

Before I went on holiday last week I had a bit of a cold, I went away and was fine for three days then started feeling rough but still continued doing what everyone else was doing as I didn't want to complain or be that person. Two days before I came home I got a cold sore, a bad one and had bad cold like symptoms.
Right now I feel awful, I look awful and have had awful anxiety about having to phone in sick.
I was dreading having to speak to my manager, it had me feeling like I wasn't being honest when I know I couldn't have worked. Thankfully a supervisor I get on with answered and was fine about it and whished me to get well soon and not to worry about it.

Does anyone else have that anxiety or weird guilt when doing something like that.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
No. Personally I think there's no point in going to work, only to go back home after 20 minutes because it's just not doable.
If they don't believe me then they're free to check up on me (of course there's a big chance I'd be in bed and there would be no-one else to answer the door).

Kevmac

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Yes, Alexis.... I've been there myself a few times in the past.... :oops: You've done the right thing by staying off work at present, as you're clearly run-down... hence the cold-sore.... :( You need to rest and re-charge.

It's totally understandable that you're feeling anxious about being off work as sickness levels are such a big issue with employers nowadays... all these "return-to-work" interviews and "absence triggers" seem to be common place......

Please try not to worry, Alexis and concentrate on getting yourself well again. :) The fact that you're concerned about being absent from your job only goes to show that you're clearly a considerate and conscientious employee. ;)

Get Well Soon... :popcorn:

Kevmac

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Then the Lagan it is, Sir....... o_O pop on some thermals....

River_Lagan,_Lisburn_-_geograph.org.uk_-_336639.jpg

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The fact that you're concerned about being absent from your job only goes to show that you're clearly a considerate and conscientious employee.
I agree. If I were a boss I would definitely hire Alexis.
... but you'd be in bed alone.... right ?
Such a wicked mind...:hide:

KayLloyd

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have been at my current job for just over four years. In that time I haven't ever called in sick except for when I was hospitalized with diabetes. I was in hospital for a week and then off for another week or so but then I went right back to work.
I have went to work when I probably shouldn't have, with colds and flu where I would be almost high on painkillers.

Before I went on holiday last week I had a bit of a cold, I went away and was fine for three days then started feeling rough but still continued doing what everyone else was doing as I didn't want to complain or be that person. Two days before I came home I got a cold sore, a bad one and had bad cold like symptoms.
Right now I feel awful, I look awful and have had awful anxiety about having to phone in sick.
I was dreading having to speak to my manager, it had me feeling like I wasn't being honest when I know I couldn't have worked. Thankfully a supervisor I get on with answered and was fine about it and whished me to get well soon and not to worry about it.

Does anyone else have that anxiety or weird guilt when doing something like that.

Sorry to hear that you're under the weather, and hope that you feel better very soon. That said, on behalf of everyone who has ever been infected by thoughtless and irresponsible co-workers who should have stayed home, PLEASE USE YOUR SICK DAYS! You're not doing your manager or anyone else any favors by infecting the entire office. It affects productivity.