Can they just end this now?

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Despite the drugs explanation I always felt he had this Dr. Jekyll & Mr Hyde personality. His "normal" Michael Torrance persona and the Carrington heir who had inherited his parents worst genes.
He lost his child to the Atkinsons and his marriage fell apart. When Adam hurts, everybody should hurt.
There was nothing far-fetched about it. He'll always be capable of doing horrible things.

Here is the last scene of the two brothers in season 8, after in fact two years where the two of them have been coming closer together.:
"Adam: Steven, thank you
Steven: I am just glad I was here
Adam: So am I. And so is he. You know, I never thought I needed you. I always thought of us as strangers.
Steven: we are more alike than you realize Adam. You’ve always struggled to belong, and in my own way, so have I.
Adam: Well, things will be different now. What I am trying to say is, when I get custody of my son tomorrow at the courthouse, I want you to be his godfather.
Steven: That’s an honor. But I think it should go to dad.
Adam (laughing): Steven, this is my son, and I want you to be his godfather.
Steven: You know what I admire about you Adam? You are a fighter. You fight for your son. You fight for your position in this family. It’s important to know what you really want. I envy you for that
Adam: Are you talking about me, or about you?
Steven: Maybe about both of us, Adam. Maybe about both of us."
Adam is very relaxed and laid back in this scene, despite the tense situation that has preceded.
Later in the episode, Steven leaves a letter on Blake’s desk and departs.

Now, as soon as Paulsen writes for Adam, he is already a different person--crazy tense and agitated and his lawyer tells him to cut down on the booze, as he gulps down one scotch and instantly asks for another. In the next scene we see him, he is drinking again in the library, and talking to Fallon. Then Dana walks in, and he immediately snaps at her. That kind of instant transformation is exactly what we are making fun of in peach Dynasty, but not what I’d expect from Paulsen. It is just completely lazy, as if he just doesn’t care to earn the transformation and have us see it. It happens off screen, and the compulsive drinking is also Paulsen’s own addition.

So, after all he and Steven have been through, in the next episode, drinking yet again, he finds Steven’s letter, reads it full of sarcasm crying “oh how touching” and call’s it baby brother’s bi-annual bye bye (I do give Paulsen credit for the bi pun). And then he thinks, “maybe this time it will be for good” and decides to burn the letter, because his voodoo skills have improved and burning the letter will keep Steven away? It could have happened in a few more episodes, but Paulsen just did not want to devote time to that story—he wanted Adam as a sidekick for Alexis and against Blake. And moving characters like Deus ex Machina is terrible storytelling. When Gordon Thomson complained, I believe that is what he had in mind. That his character became a cardboard villain. You mentioned the Adam in seasons 3-4, but he was actually written much more complex, even when he was mixing compounds and forging signatures. Sprinkled in there were scenes of him reaching out to his siblings and being rejected, or having to obey Alexis in schemes to keep Steven and Blake apart though he did not want to. This one-note Adam was just a failure of writing. Depite season 9's many good parts, in this area Paulsen just phones it in.

Last edited:

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just as Adam and Steven were growing closer and were able to have a brotherly relationship Steven abruptly left. Adam lost Dana. Then he lost his son. Finally he loses his brother. He was hurt. He was broken. Of course he burned the letter.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The different behaviour of Adam starts before he has lost Steven and Dana. All the explanations about Adam's change are viewers trying to do what Paulsen should have done: give us a believable transformation. .

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Now, as soon as Paulsen writes for Adam, he is already a different person--crazy tense and agitated... Then Dana walks in, and he immediately snaps at her. That kind of instant transformation is exactly what we are making fun of in peach Dynasty, but not what I’d expect from Paulsen.
The different behaviour of Adam starts before he has lost Steven and Dana. All the explanations about Adam's change are viewers trying to do what Paulsen should have done: give us a believable transformation. .

No, Adam's behavior started after he lost his son. When he had his final scene with Steven, he said

Adam: Well, things will be different now. What I am trying to say is, when I get custody of my son tomorrow at the courthouse, I want you to be his godfather.

Adam was confident he'd get custody, only to be denied it. And what's more, it was partly Dana's fault for not being able to "take a baby from its mother."

That's when his downward spiral happened. Considering Adam's history, it makes sense he'd react that badly. In fact, I wonder if there's a connection between Adam telling Steven, "I want you to be my son's godfather" and later burning his brother's letter. Maybe Adam saw it as a betrayal on Steven's part, that he should leave town at a time like this?

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In fact, I wonder if there's a connection between Adam telling Steven, "I want you to be my son's godfather" and later burning his brother's letter. Maybe Adam saw it as a betrayal on Steven's part, that he should leave town at a time like this?

Thanks. I never thought about this. But I think I would be upset if I asked my own sister to be the godmother of my child, and then she leaves with just a letter. Not even saying it to my face...

Anyway, that's funny that we are all talking about Original Dynasty... It shows how good NuDynasty is :D

Last edited:

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
No, Adam's behavior started after he lost his son.
But the change happened instantly when we saw him again, rather than showing us something (even the courtroom scene) of him being devastated

In fact, I wonder if there's a connection between Adam telling Steven, "I want you to be my son's godfather" and later burning his brother's letter. Maybe Adam saw it as a betrayal on Steven's part, that he should leave town at a time like this?

Well, if Paulsen had taken the time to mention that, maybe I'd buy it. Fans having to make up backstory and explanations for character's sudden changes is the kind of phenomenon I associated with seasons 4-8. I guess I should learn to accept it from season 9 as well. And as I said, it's not just the instant change. In Adam's first dastardly run in seasons 3-4, the Pollocks had written him more complex. He was completely one-note under Paulsen.

For the record, in addition to changing Adam's behaviour, Paulsen instantly changed others' behaviour toward him as well. He and Fallon had come to an understanding in season 8, and even often came together in business decisions against Steven, but as soon as Paulsen takes over, she is completely antagonistic against him as well.

We are not going to convince each other, but for me Paulsen just didn't care about the overall arc of certain characters and instead wanted to pigeonhole them, and Adam was one of them. And Adam's portrayer was of the same opinion.

Last edited:

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Anyway, that's funny that we are all talking about Original Dynasty... It shows how good NuDynasty is :D

Well, to play devil's advocate, we have a history as a forum to go off topic often. We may even need a "derailed" emoji :p

Philipe

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
I totally agree with my Dearest Phil Colby: stop watching if you do not like it!
And let us enjoy!
This is not Cuba or Venezuela (a cherished memory for our beloved Celia) and you cannot give orders this way!

Ferdnand Colby

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
I totally agree with my Dearest Phil Colby: stop watching if you do not like it!
And let us enjoy!
This is not Cuba or Venezuela (a cherished memory for our beloved Celia) and you cannot give orders this way!

Haha... loved Celia's reference!

I think we all have fun here, even though I'm frustrated too, but come on, it's a TV show. Instead of feeling mad at Dynasty, why can't we try to use our talents for good? I suggest writing fanfics for example, or for those who are good at drawing, maybe trying a collage or something.

That'd be nice guys!

E-JULIAN

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I mean I hate the show and think it's really awful. I stopped watching early season 2, then was lured back after Adam pushed Alexis in the fire, that was an amazing scene in a good episode. (for this show) However, the very next episode was back to utter rubbish so I bailed again. Then when Liz Gilles was revealed as the new face of Alexis I just knew that really that was it, it wasn't for me.

Saying that, I wouldn't call for it to be cancelled. I just stopped watching. This show isn't aimed at me, a true original DYNASTY fan. It's aimed more at those who loved Pretty Little Liars and Gossip Girl and who are at least half my age. The writing staff are probably a whole lot younger than me too. It just feels way too juvenile to me, like Nickleodian young.

Nothing that happens to these characters has any long term consequences or repercussions and so these characters don't progress EVER. It doesn't matter if they are committed to a mental hospital against their will, have their faces burned off, be revealed to be the real father of the bosses son, or murder someone. It will all be laughed away the next scene or episode with a wisecrack from Fallon and then we can quickly move on to a fashion montage and some Instagram tomfoolery.
No. It's not for me. But the kids love it I'm sure. Let them have it.

I couldn't say it better Dear Alexis. I've done the same: tolerated season 1 with its obvious flaws, hated season 2 after Cristal's 1.0 resolution but loved the Adrianna episode to hate the series again with the "Paraguay" episode (worst of all for me), then I liked again when Mark apeeared, the Paris episode, Steven/Adam, until Alexis face burning... I had hope (again...) in a real change for drama, a real rebooting and not a silly sitcom approach to the original Dynasty, but writers ruined all hope AGAIN with the stupid and "jumpingtheshark" Alexis Gillies (or Alexis 2.5) solution ! I stopped watching from the moment she blew kisses to Adam, the son that painfully burned her face 2 weeks ago!!!!
I liked the news saying Michael Michelle coming as NuDominique and watched last week episode to see this Dominique is a NuAlexis 2.0, but what was stupid was Fallon "fighting?" Adam like a 4 year-old little girl in front of Poppie Dearest for his love.
So, I know I'll be watching following episodes without interest, just for curiosity and eager to see what finale cliffhanger they have devised for season 2. But not hope for a good drama, this reboot is doomed, you take it or leave it... and wait for the natural end.
No cancellation needed Mark (don't be a hater), people who likes it deserve it (we all love a McDonalds Burguer being bad food and eat it from time to time) but I know I'll not have the same anticipation to watch season 3 as I had a year ago for season 2...

Last edited:

phil colby

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just read an interview with Liz Gillies and for me it`s an excellent twist and a perfect way to resolve the sudden departure of Nicollette Sheridan until she returns in a year or so....they found a way to shock us all just like the way Dynasty did 30 years ago...LOVE IT, perfect entertainment

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just read an interview with Liz Gillies and for me it`s an excellent twist and a perfect way to resolve the sudden departure of Nicollette Sheridan until she returns in a year or so....they found a way to shock us all just like the way Dynasty did 30 years ago...LOVE IT, perfect entertainment

Was the shock worth the backlash ?

A recast would have been much worse, and for Liz Gillies it`s a challenge, and SHE adores a challenge

A recast would have been much better imho. Especially as they're gonna recast anyway, as they said.

Good that Gillies loves challenges. I would prefer the show runners and their writing team to love challenges too. Like, writing coherent episodes with continuity and consequences :D. But hey, who am I to complain ?

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It would be great if she did come back, but I'm not going to get my hopes up one way or the other.

It appears that the CW will be moving Dynasty back one hour next season, airing Fridays at 9pm with their reboot of Charmed taking over the 8pm slot. It may not matter in the slightest to the Netflix viewer, of course, but perhaps having a lead-in show might help them gain some viewers in its CW venue.

xab

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Alexis Gillies (or Alexis 2.5) solution !

This is what I call a fan... Yes Liz Gillies is the fifth Alexis!
1: Unknown actress for the petrossian beluga Dynasty's season 1 cliffhanger
2: Dame Joan you-know-who
3: Osetrova Nicollette Sheridan
4: Burned but champagne quality Amy Sutherland
5: Fallexis Gillies.

Why don't they ask US? Every reboot or continuation should hire a few consultants chosen among the most faithful fans...

I DO know best than Cynthia Cidre when it comes to Dallas history.

Last edited: