Cancelled Too Soon

tommie

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When CBS moves a show to sundays 10pm, you know you have to enjoy it, because it's going to get cancelled soon like CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI: Cyber, Cold Case, Elementary, The Mentalist, Shark, Madam Secretary and this year NCIS: New Orleans. If a show got lucky CBS renewes it for a short final season, but many of those mentioned shows ended with season finales. I think next season CBS will move NCIS: Los Angeles to 10pm and it's going to end in 2022.

That's because they know the 10PM time slot will be pre-empted/pushed back for a lot of the season, so there's no use in putting a show that they care about ratingswise there. They know it's a slot that'll get poor ratings, so either they'll put a show that's already on its last legs there (NCIS: NO) or a show that's being kept on air due to award eligibility/favorism by the network (Madam Secretary).
Or Fridays. Some shows buck the trend, but most die there.
I wouldn't say it's a death slot for CBS - Hawaii Five-O lasted seven seasons there, Blue Bloods have aired there for 11 seasons now, MacGyver is on its fifth season there and Magnum PI have aired two seasons and will probably air a couple more there.

On Fox it was a notorious death time slot though that only really The X-Files thrived in and Fringe got a couple of seasons there like two decades later. Right now they're airing WWF.

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Dora the Explorer Gets A Curious Rash
Yes, if a network has a football contract, then everything in their Sunday night lineup is screwed up during the autumn. The game will inevitably run over, and they will have a bunch of hour-long shows that have to air in their entirety*. The ratings are difficult to interpret once the 10pm show runs over into the 11pm slot(s). Autumn is when new shows need all the ratings they can get (to keep from getting cancelled).

ABC used to have a similar "graveyard" for shows they had deemed to be on their way out--Saturday nights were where aging sitcoms ended up in their final seasons.

* It's always bugged me that CBS, who usually has NFL games, airs a newsmagazine show 60 Minutes that could easily be edited down to correct the overrunning time. Unlike the hour-long dramas, they could just postpone a story or two until next week....but they rarely do.

AndyB2008

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Titanic
In reference to Daniel's comment, the AFL coverage on Seven (they have to show the coverage live) means Home and Away only airs 4 times a week with a double episode on Thursday as Better Homes and Gardens airs on Fridays in the Home and Away 7pm slot.

(Previously BHAG aired after Home and Away on Fridays, but it caused complaints as the AFL telecast was then broadcast on an one hour tape delay, except for TVW-7 in Perth which showed it live because of the time difference. Eventually the new AFL deal forced Seven to show it live.)

So the scheduling of Home and Away is weird as a result (sometimes they have 3 eps in one go on some nights), given the episodes are written as 5 half hour instalments.

BHAG moves to 7Two when the live coverage of AFL is aired on Seven.

Channel 5 in the UK and RTE in Ireland shows the Home and Away episodes intact - the half hour instalments.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wouldn't say it's a death slot for CBS - Hawaii Five-O lasted seven seasons there, Blue Bloods have aired there for 11 seasons now, MacGyver is on its fifth season there and Magnum PI have aired two seasons and will probably air a couple more there.

And of course, O-R CBS Dallas was there for the balance of the run, and Falcon Crest was there for the balance of its run.

David Spielberg went on to play Danny Thomas's son in the short-lived medical sitcom The Practice (not to be confused with the later David E. Kelley show of the same name).

Actually, that NBC medical comedy came before Spielberg was in The American Girls.

Monzo

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
David Spielberg went on to play Danny Thomas's son in the short-lived medical sitcom The Practice (not to be confused with the later David E. Kelley show of the same name).
Just yesterday I watched David Spielberg on Highway To Heaven. It reminded me that I liked his acting, so I checked what has happened to him. Totally missed that he died a few years ago. I feel sorry he wasn't more successful.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh, you're right. I have a stronger memory of it so I thought it must have been later.

I think that kind of mistake might have happened with me once or twice as well (I'm 40 years old, and a lot of things have happened in my life), so don't worry about it.