Celebrity (1984)

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Last night I stumbled upon the uploads thanks to a thread posted by @ClassyCo.
Celebrity is the riveting and colourful epic of three Texan men, their dreams, ambitions and a tragedy that will change their lives forever.
upload_2020-5-17_23-56-49.png

While it's not Rich Man, Poor Man or East Of Eden I think it's one of the best in the potboiler mini-series genre.
It has a terrific cast and the odd hammy moment notwithstanding I think they all have been doing a great job here.
Michael Beck plays T.J. Luther, his only talent is charisma and bravado, and he usually walks on the wild side of life.

Sometimes he reminded me of John Ross Ewing (2012) and I think he would have been great in Dallas -The Early Years.

Sets and scenery are beautiful, as one would expect from these big budget TV series.

The wives are supporting characters, but the romances and relationships felt very genuine.

It also deals with the dilemma: do you want to be good or successful, and the obvious answer seems "both", but it's really not that simple. It's one of the ingredients that gives Celebrity the edge over similar stories like Lace, which looked like a Disney Princess Cake devoid of any real emotions.

From Texas to New York, from New York to Beverly Hills and then back to Texas.
Glitz and grit, drama and romance, shock and scandal.

An unexpected event with spectacular results.

And the story ends with a spectacular finale.

I decided to binge watch everything (approx 5 hours) because I was afraid the uploads would disappear before I had a change to finish it.
Despite its excellent ratings at the time it was broadcast in the US, it has become sort of an obscure cult classic because it's only available on US videotapes.
I had seen it only once when it came out on rental video, I don't think it was ever shown on television here because I wouldn't have missed it.
The uploads have a few technical problems because it's a copy of the video tape, but it shouldn't ruin your viewing pleasure.

Don't miss it!

Caproni

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@Willie Oleson

I've never heard of this one. I'll have to give it a try when I take the time to do it. If it's on YouTube, maybe I can get it downloaded and watch it on my laptop.

Thanks! :)

Gabriel Maxwell

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
I vividly recall seeing this as a 13-year old boy and being shocked by the scene in which a young River Phoenix sees his on-screen father having gay sex.

Of course, this being the 1980s, we never actually saw the sex, it was simply implied through a brief tender moment by the swimming pool before the men go into the mansion and we see the boy’s facial reaction looking in from the outside.

This left me with a whole bunch of mixed feelings that Dynasty’s Steven Carrington had already had 3 years to wreak havoc with. Lol.

Snarky's Ghost

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
I vividly recall seeing this as a 13-year old boy and being shocked by the scene in which a young River Phoenix sees his on-screen father having gay sex.
Same here. Of course, River wasn't famous yet, and I just remember that his look of shocked disgust was really believable, and saying to myself: hey, that kid's really good!

Jason73

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Wow! I just finished the third and final episode. What a finale! The whole thing was very enjoyable.

Sidenote: When I was a kid I had a crush on the guy who played "Brian" in the miniseries V. It was fun to see him turn up in Celebrity.

Attachments

• 1609719776374.png
    1609719776374.png
    193.1 KB · Views: 4

Chris2

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I remember enjoying it a great deal when it first aired. I haven’t seen it since it originally aired.

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched this with my parents and we all enjoyed it. It was based on a novel by the same name by Thomas Thompson, a former writer for Life magazine. I read several of Thompson's books and enjoyed them thoroughly. I guess Celebrity never received a DVD release because it lacks a star-studded cast; the most recognizable actor among the leads is Michael Beck who starred in The Warriors and Xanadu.

I highly recommend Thompson's book Blood and Money, it recounts the true story of a wealthy Texas plastic surgeon accused of murdering his horse-breeder wife. The wife's father, a millionaire oil-man, seeks justice for his daughter's death. NBC produced a mini-series based on the case but, unfortunately, they didn't use Thompson's book as the basis of the screenplay. They chose a book written by the doctor's second wife instead. The mini-series was called Murder in Texas and it starred Farrah Fawcett, Sam Elliott, Katharine Ross and Andy Griffith. Murder in Texas is very good but I think it would have been more colorful if it had been based on Thompson's book.

The TV movie The Death of Richie is based on another of Thompson's books, it stars Robby Benson as a drug addicted teenager; Ben Gazzara and Eileen Brennan play his parents. It's another true story and very sad.

I just checked Youtube and found Murder in Texas and The Death of Richie have been posted multiple times.