Changing the Premise

Ray_Krebbs

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If you could alter the main premise of the show, what would you have done? The show originally was about the forbidden love of Pam and Bobby and their struggles. What if the show had been about J.R. and Pam slowly becoming a couple over the years? A big moment happens when the Ewings fly to Vegas for a wedding. J.R., Sue Ellen, Bobby and Pam are divorced at this time and free to marry. They all get very drunk at a doings the night before the ceremony. J.R. and Pam wake up in bed together and are shocked, throwing accusations. They are even more upset to find a marriage license for both of them. Pam tries to end the marriage, but J.R. will not consent until he gets something of desire from her, Christopher's shares in Ewing Oil. They remain married and eventually fall in love over the course of events.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'd write Ray as Miss Ellie's son, not Jock's. And Bobby the adulterer, not JR. JR and Sue Ellen would end up hating eachother anyway.

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wouldn't change a thing about the premise of the show. As far as I'm concerned Dallas is the best dramatic series to ever be on television.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Obviously: Ellie Southworth -- Jock & Digger's favorite beard.

Last edited by a moderator:

lbf522

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If Dallas were done today, the writers probably would have Bobby bedding Sue Ellen and JR bedding Pamela at some point. Dallas would be different today than it was. For one thing, I would imagine it would be on a premium channel like HBO or Showtime and have more intense storylines. Jock and JR would probably be more ruthless.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If you could alter the main premise of the show, what would you have done?
Actually even though I did not care for the show when it first aired, and I still find its aesthetic off-putting, when I saw it later in reruns I found the narrative texture was rich with potential. It wasn't just that there were Pam and Bobby and their feuding families, but also the three sons each with the different personality and parental allegiance, the Southfork history and the land/oil tension, and so on. If anything, I think I would have changed Digger--he was too pathetic for Ellie to ever have fallen in love with, or for Cliff and Pam not to be doing crack 24/7 with him around.

Is that what I think it is?
Are you asking because your new avatar has a beard?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Actually even though I did not care for the show when it first aired, and I still find its aesthetic off-putting, when I saw it later in reruns I found the narrative texture was rich with potential. It wasn't just that there were Pam and Bobby and their feuding families, but also the three sons each with the different personality and parental allegiance, the Southfork history and the land/oil tension, and so on. If anything, I think I would have changed Digger--he was too pathetic for Ellie to ever have fallen in love with, or for Cliff and Pam not to be doing crack 24/7 with him around.
Well, the show changed, more than once, over time. I was initially turned off by its opening vibe as well...

My two cents:

www.soapchat.net/threads/what-went-wrong-and-right-with-dallas.1119/

Sadly, the "Spectacular Mess" thread is long gone with the old soapchat…

Last edited by a moderator: