Characters that nearly destroyed series

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
Sometimes you generally like a show, but there's that one character with lots of airtime that really annoys you to the point that you don't like the show just as much anymore.

Do you have any such examples?

For me:

Bernadette - The Big Bang Theory
Andy - Modern Family
Elena - TNT Dallas
Callie - Dallas
Amber and all the Logans - The Bold and the Beautiful
Jack - Revenge

Jessie

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
My list

Characters I didn't like in series.

Lee -Westworld
Ross -Friends
Dana Brody-Homeland
Eric Forman -That 70's show
Robert California The Office
Raymond-Blacklist
Afton -Dallas

Last edited:

Toni

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Donna Reed´s Miss Ellie, April, Don Lockwood & Matt Cantrell - Dallas
Kate, Kenny, Ginger & Cathy - Knots Landing
Lady Ashley, the Fallmonts & Fake Steven - Dynasty
The Cartel, The 13, the Nazis, Wainwright & the new Cast from Season 9 - Falcon Crest
Kimberly, Taylor & Kyle - Melrose Place
The Ramoses, Judith & Fake Cliff - TNT Dallas
Ashley, Charlotte, Declan & Louise - Revenge
André, Jamal & the singer-of-the-season crappy Cast - Empire
Sue Sylvester & the whole new Cast of the last Season - Glee
Luisa & Juliette - The Affair
James & Huck - Scandal
Kim & Cole (Freddie Prinze) - 24
Iris & Cisco - The Flash
Lucy - Supergirl
The actors playing their children - Masters of Sex
Lady Gaga - American Horror Story
Henry & Aurora - Once Upon a Time
Perfect-looking Alex & Shelby - Quantico
Q - Star Trek Saga
Mr. Big - SATC

Just a few...

Banana Hammock

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Medals
Friends - Joey ! (and I wouldn't have cared if Monica had never existed either)
Revenge - Charlotte ! (the actress can't act)
Father Ted - Fr Jack ! (feck drink arse girls wasn't funny the first time. Less so, when it's all he says in every episode).
Bad Girls - The two Julies ! (when they talk 'as one', I want to punch the tv).
Brooklyn Nine Nine - Rosa ! (the guy who plays the Captain does stoney faced so much better, so she isn't needed).
Not Going Out - the character played by Bobby Ball where he plays Bobby Ball like he always does !
Modern Family - Hayley !

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Dallas - Vanessa Beaumont and all her sproglings - Dallas Season 13.

Friends - So funny I thought it was only me who didn't like Monica!! She is my least favourite Friend.

From Frasier - the Moon family - that awful mother and her son Simon and his terrible accent!!!!

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
Monica was the most boring of the Friends, IMO. I never liked Ross in the first few seasons, but when he turned into a real childish loser, I started to like him more.

Barbara Fan

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Dallas - Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna ReedDonna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed
Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna ReedDonna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna ReedDonna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed
and Sheree J wilson and cathy podewall

Homeland - Dana Brody also, annoying brat!

Scoobie Doo - Scrappy Doo - ugh

Toni

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Dallas - Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna ReedDonna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed
Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna ReedDonna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna ReedDonna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed Donna Reed
and Sheree J wilson and cathy podewall

Homeland - Dana Brody also, annoying brat!

Scoobie Doo - Scrappy Doo - ugh
What a surprise BF! So you finally grew to like Granny Beaumont? :eek:;)

Barbara Fan

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Oh i would take her any day over Dreary.
Just never bought she was JRs true love and all that nonsence, and long before her Dallas role, always thought she looked so much like Linda
By the time she and the others appeared ie S12 and 13, Dallas - the glory years were well and truly over.........

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
April Stevens and most of the new cast from 87-88 onwards but mostly April - Dallas

Lesley, George Hamilton’s character (they could’ve done Krystle/Rita without him), Jacqui (Dynasty’s answer to Charlie Wade), Amanda II and King Galen

Most of the newer characters in Corrie who have turned orange starting with Carla onwards

The new Glee cast in the last season or two

Green the villain from Downton Abbey

The 1985 new cast (apart from Caroline and Alison) in Sons and Daughters. The other newbies, well there were just way too many and couldn’t hold a candle to the original cast

TJames03

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
Medals
Wesley from Star Trek: TNG. Gene Roddenberry had a very odd obsession with him and after Roddenberry was ousted at the end of Season 02, Wesley stories stopped nearly immediately. Wil Wheaton left the show in Season 04, thankfully!!! Also, Diana Mulder as Doctor Pulaski in Season 02 didn't click with fans, either. She never bothered me, but many wanted Gates McFadden back as Beverly, which eventually happened.

Kim Fields on RHOAtlanta sucked, too, but she was shown the door after one season.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
Wesley from Star Trek: TNG. Gene Roddenberry had a very odd obsession with him and after Roddenberry was ousted at the end of Season 02, Wesley stories stopped nearly immediately. Wil Wheaton left the show in Season 04, thankfully!!! Also, Diana Mulder as Doctor Pulaski in Season 02 didn't click with fans, either. She never bothered me, but many wanted Gates McFadden back as Beverly, which eventually happened.
Roddenberry was never ousted from Star Trek: TNG nor could he ever be--he owned the IP. He minimized his involvement gradually and Berman took over as Roddenberry's health deteriorated, until he died during its fifth season. However it is true that he had some weird projection going on with Wesley (who was named after him--Wesley was his middle name) and who was a stock teen wonder character and quite a p***k as a person, famously answering the question of why there hasn't been a gay character on TNG with "homosexuality has probably been cured in the 24th century."

Dr. Pulaski's story is a nice lesson in why you must not slavishly listen to studio focus groups. In airing the early episodes, focus groups, looking for the original Star Trek dynamic, complained Beverly was not enough of a cranky personality like McCoy. So the show decided to replace her character with Pulaski. But once Beverly was gone, fans wrote in droves demanding she come back. I liked them both myself, though I think Beverly meshed better with the TNG crew.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Dallas - The entire Beaumont family - in particular James and his bore off mother Vanessa.

I wouldn't say she nearly destroyed it, but for me the worst addition to Friends was Emily. Oh my God pass the shotgun.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
Reaction score
Medals
Crossroads - Tommy 'Bomber' Lancaster, Beverley Grice and the entire Grice Family
Dallas - Cally and the Haleyvillans, Hilary Taylor/Sheila Foley, Jory Taylor
Falcon Crest - Charley St James
Lost - Nikki and Paulo Fernandez

Willie Oleson

SoapLand Battles Moderator
Reaction score
Medals
My interest in Grey's Anatomy had already begun to wane but character April Kepner made it very easy for me to stop watching it altogether. But it's such a long time ago, maybe I was a little too harsh.

TJames03

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
Medals
Uhhhhhh....Rodenberry's grip on TNG ended before the third season. He had a lot to do with who was able to write for the show in seasons one and two. When the third season began, that was over and you can see the improvement of the show immediately.

https://www.nerdunion.us/2015/08/04/howgeneroddenberrytriedtokillstartrek/

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-new-documentary-shows-how-gene-roddenberry-almost-kil-1721153875

I find Wheaton's comment about homosexuality odd because Wesley was somebody that I wouldn't be surprised if he let the entire male complement on the ship bang him.

Last edited: