Chase Gioberti: worst character in falcon crest

Chris2

Telly Talk Fan
Reaction score
Chase was cold and humorless. But I think at least part of that was Robert Foxworth - the characters he plays are always like that. I did miss him when he was gone because the character was so vital to the plot. And as unlikeable as he could be, he was miles ahead of Clu Gulager, who played the role in the pilot.

Chloe-Fusco

Telly Talk Active Member
Reaction score
Medals
You could argue Chase was maybe the worst character, in his final season when he basically turned his back on Maggie after all the Wainright stuff but his goody two shoes way was always the contrast to Angela's attitude and what she done / said. This was very much part of the show and RF's departure altered the dynamics significantly.

Gioberti84

Telly Talk Active Member
Reaction score
Medals
An interesting fact is that Robert Foxworth wanted Chase dead when Julia fired those shots, in the close of the season # 2. When he was offered the job of directing episodes for the new season he had a change of mind. Jane reportedly got paid a director's salary when Robert directed his said shows, not sure if this is speculation or fact. To me Chase was mainly tolerable up to season 5 and then became king of the jerks.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
Chase was a great character. Unlike in other soap operas where the main good characters who were rivals to the bad ones were likeable (eg. Blake Carrington in Dynasty, Bobby Ewing in Dallas, Karen MacKenzie in and Fielding Carlyle in Flamingo Road), Falcon Crest took a different approach and made the good character annoying to many. So whereas it's ok to love to hate characters like Angela, JR and Abby because they were wicked, in Falcon Crest there was a different relationship for viewers because many hated Chase even though he was the main good character. That made the show more that just the straightforward rivalry between Angela and Chase making the viewers look at the more complex mix of motives that underpinned the actions of the characters.
Great points; however, I think you forgot to put Knots Landing in for Karen MacKenzie-- just wanted to bring that up.