Colbys Videos thread?

Gabriel Maxwell

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
These have been posted in other threads, but they belong here, too. Interviews with John James, Emma Samms & Maxwell Caulfield on the set of THE COLBYS back in the 80s:

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Is Maxwell on location there? I never knew it could get that freezing in LA that you can see your breath condensating... always thought they had eternal summer.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Is Maxwell on location there? I never knew it could get that freezing in LA that you can see your breath condensating... always thought they had eternal summer.
I think it can drop quite cold at night. Like it does that in desert climates too.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
John James seems really quite likeable in that interview. Like not at all like Jeff and he was really gorgeous at that time too wasn't he?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Watching the first episode in this thread has made me really want to watch The Colbys again.

Tony

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Can anyone post the DVD featurette 'The Californians' from The Colbys DVD release? I've seen the 'Sibling Rivalry' featurette which is on Youtube but not the other. Gabriel can you help?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
John James seems really quite likeable in that interview. Like not at all like Jeff
Yes, he delivered most of his lines as Jeff with a defensive contemptuousness, whether it was needed in the scene or not.

Likewise, Robert Foxworth is startlingly pleasant in TV interviews while he's not playing Chase.

Gabriel Maxwell

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
Can anyone post the DVD featurette 'The Californians' from The Colbys DVD release? I've seen the 'Sibling Rivalry' featurette which is on Youtube but not the other. Gabriel can you help?

As in - rip it and post it to my YT channel? Sorry, I currently can't even watch my region 1 DVDs, because my laptop decided not to play any DVDs at all. I'll get a new one this summer. By the way, YouTube is most certainly not what it used to be. The days of easily posting any copyrighted content with - more or less - no repercussions (when I'd had over 1000 videos on my Dynasty channel) are gone.

Tony

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Both The Colbys featurettes are now on Youtube.

Some really interesting interviews in the first one "The Californians".

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Thanks! I'd seen the other other part. I never realised there was another half hour of interviews. I'm looking forward to watching this later.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They should have done that "goodbye, Jeff" in the story. It could be interpreted as literally or figuratively which of course would lead to a never ending discussion about the real meaning of it a la the ending of The Sopranos.
The UFO was a mess mostly because they brought it to Dynasty, but as a final scene - that one moment that allows a show to be larger than soap - I think it was awesome.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Some really interesting stuff in this indeed. John James' insights into the timeline of the show's development are really good. While he doesn't go into great detail, the abandoned hotel spinoff gets a mention. Also, it's interesting to see that relative newbie Catherine Oxenberg wasn't the only one who fell foul of Spelling's attempts at penny pinching. Fair play to John James for standing his ground and winning out in the end. Also, bravo at Juliet Mills' plan to win over Doug Cramer by bringing him to see Maxwell in the nip on stage.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There are some great quality clips of The Colbys back on Youtube after them having been gone for a while. Just watched this scene and it's so good. Stephanie Beacham is just fantastic here. And the dialogue is so much better written than any exchange you would have heard on Dynasty at the time.

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
^ The interactions between these two sisters bring to my mind the first part of the lyrics to Dan Hill’s Sometimes When We Touch song:

You ask me if I love you
And I choke on my reply
I'd rather hurt you honestly
Than mislead you with a lie
And who am I to judge you
On what you say or do?
I'm only just beginning to see the real you

And sometimes when we touch
The honesty's too much
And I have to close my eyes and hide.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
There are some great quality clips of The Colbys back on Youtube after them having been gone for a while. Just watched this scene and it's so good. Stephanie Beacham is just fantastic here. And the dialogue is so much better written than any exchange you would have heard on Dynasty at the time.

How can anyone at all... Ever sympathise with Frankie? How can anyone see Sable as wrong? The Colbys should have ended with the ultimate cat fight. Sable whopping Frankie's whore ass.

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Colbys should have ended with the ultimate cat fight. Sable whopping Frankie's whore ass.

To have expected that is to have not known Sable of The Colbys.
Poor Sabella and Frankie, always seen through bitch-Dynasty eyes.