Complete rewatch complete

Herofan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I completed a rewatch a year or so ago. I enjoyed the later seasons more than I remembered. I thought things were taken more light heartedly that earlier seasons, like the second time JR was shot was treated as a joke.

I tried to imagine some of the storylines in earlier seasons, such as the range war. I think with a little tweaking, it would have worked well in earlier seasons, even though everyone seemed to think it was ridiculous when it first aired.

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I tried to imagine some of the storylines in earlier seasons, such as the range war. I think with a little tweaking, it would have worked well in earlier seasons, even though everyone seemed to think it was ridiculous when it first aired.
The range war is one storyline that shows the few GOOD parts of the later seasons. In the early seasons, we were able to look over J.R.'s shoulder and we were part of the scheme. It was great fun. In the last few seasons, the writers decided to keep us in the dark, so we were scammed along with the other characters. This made the reveal a lot of fun, and the best example was in the range wars storyline.

*** If you don't remember the reveal at the end of range wars, then don't read this because I want to keep it a surprise for you***

In the range wars, we watch as Jeremy Wendell uses Carter Mckay to get section 40 from the Ewings. We watch the build up over several episodes as the Ewings lose section 40. It was sad for us as an audience to watch Miss Ellie sign over the land to Mckay, with J.R. and Bobby looking on, seeming very defeated. Even Harv Smithfield is there, showing us how serious it is to lose section 40 to Wendell.

And then the payoff! Jeremy Wendell looks over the papers showing his purchase of Section 40. "What is this? You didn't buy Section 40. You bought a section of worthless range land."

And we see a smile move across Mckay's face as he lets us in on the reveal.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I really didn’t care for the range war. It just didn’t hold my interest. It felt like I was watching an entirely show. Didn’t feel like Dallas to me.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
And the open hostility towards Jack, suddenly. It's like "Okay 'new' Bobby, now the real Bobby is back, so you can piss off!".
They clearly pulled a Donna Reed on poor Dack Rambo (known by a certain fan as "Ramboski")... He wasn´t Bobby, so he had to leave. I´m sure he would have had good dynamics with Ray and Clayton in ranch affaires, and even with Bobby and JR at Ewing Oil (much better than with Cliff when he became a partner!).

1614031271725.png

Voilà Reed & Rambo toasting to their (dark)
future in/on "Dallas". Though Donna probably
knew (or felt) already she was being axed!​

Herofan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I really didn’t care for the range war. It just didn’t hold my interest. It felt like I was watching an entirely show. Didn’t feel like Dallas to me.
I understand. I think I’ve even made a similar comment before. I think, however, if it had been used in earlier seasons with the earlier style of writing, I think it could have worked.

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I understand. I think I’ve even made a similar comment before. I think, however, if it had been used in earlier seasons with the earlier style of writing, I think it could have worked.
I was thinking maybe as a self contained episode? I can see that working in the first season, or maybe over the course of a couple of shows. The way they did it later on just made it seem like it was dragging on forever to me.

That was a popular thing back in the 1970's and 1980's. They would have a self-contained movie of the week, which was usually two hours long. For example, it could be:
"Tune in on Friday night for Dallas: The Range War." As they show the more exciting scenes for the upcoming special.

It was a fun way for the writers to explore new storylines and try new things. Could have worked well for the Range Wars storyline.

Last edited:

Jock's Ghost

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm close to 'that damn Barnes woman' remarrying Bobby and I can't believe how dull and convoluted this season is. They had BBG back, Patrick and still, the show is listless, meandering.
Shame on every last one of their filthy TV souls for not accepting and dealing with Pams exit proper like. As stated many times before, a recast after being burned would have been the best route. Victoria was dead set on leaving and she meant it. The show was buggered good by bringing Patrick back in such a stupid manner. At that point, a simple recast would have worked out fine and given Patrick something to do. Just think of all the 'Pam is like toast ' remarks from JR?
They had ample time to prepare and did nothing but write that damn stupid mummy storyline.

Last edited:

Mustard

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Last year, I did a whole marathon of 1978-1991 for the first time in a LONG time.

I noticed how much slower I was going through episodes post-dream, particularly after Victoria Principal was gone.

In the first 9 seasons DVD, I found myself flowing through episodes quickly, eager to get to the next one. Starting with Season 10 DVD, I noticed myself slowing down. During the last season in particular, it was almost like being in quicksand, almost ground to a halt. The Leann De La Vega episodes during the last season of the original series were the absolute nadir of Dallas. In these late seasons, particularly the last season, even if you like some characters or character interaction (I actually like Cally, for instance), the plots are nonsensical.

Last edited:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I started a rewatch about a year ago right around the time the pandemic hit. By the end of July I was in season 12 (13 DVD). I got to about the midpoint of that season and I just got bored. I still haven’t gone back and finish.

Mustard

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I started a rewatch about a year ago right around the time the pandemic hit. By the end of July I was in season 12 (13 DVD). I got to about the midpoint of that season and I just got bored. I still haven’t gone back and finish.

Aye. I was really struggling around that time too, only doing 1-2 episodes a night at most and that needed a push from me. Some days, I wouldn't watch any by that time. In the first 9 seasons DVD, I could get through 9-10 episodes a night and be eager for more but had run out of hours before bed.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In the first 9 seasons DVD, I could get through 9-10 episodes a night and be eager for more
As I've mentioned several times on this website my Dallas DVD collection finishes with Swan Song. It's rather apt when I think about it. However, whenever I do a rewatch I struggle with the so-called mini-series and it's not until we get to the story is Sue Ellen pregnant with JR or Cliff's child where Dallas kicks up a notch...then it becomes addictive. Those responsible behind the scenes really understood how to keep the audience wanting more.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As I've mentioned several times on this website my Dallas DVD collection finishes with Swan Song. It's rather apt when I think about it. However, whenever I do a rewatch I struggle with the so-called mini-series and it's not until we get to the story is Sue Ellen pregnant with JR or Cliff's child where Dallas kicks up a notch...then it becomes addictive. Those responsible behind the scenes really understood how to keep the audience wanting more.
I have every season,but I always stop at the end of season 10 (and usually skip season. 9 - not because it's bad, but because it pisses me off every time to see it wiped away).

Ten was a shaky season in some ways, but there were parts of it that I truly enjoyed. To me, that's the last season that "Dallas" was REALLY "Dallas."

The wheels start coming off in season 11. No Donna, no Pam, and the start of the slow but relentless destruction of JR and Sue Ellen's characters.

I choose to pretend it ended with the last episode of season ten.

Last edited:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think in retrospect that Swan Song might’ve been the ideal place to end it. It really seems like the perfect ending to me. But there’s another part of me that’s glad it did not end there. As much as I never quite enjoyed the show the same again after the dream season we would’ve missed out on some great scenes and stories that were yet to come.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think in retrospect that Swan Song might’ve been the ideal place to end it.
I'm sure another poster here on TellyTalk - previously known as SoapChat - suggested Swan Song would have been the ideal time to close the chapter on Dallas, especially if the episode closed with Pam and Christopher leaving Dallas in Bobby's red convertible along the same highway...a fitting end in my book. Leave the audience wanting more.

Grangehill1

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’ve written before that there were 3 potential natural endings to Dallas

Swansong - the series (apart from the Miss Ellie miscast aside and slow paced season 7) would have gone out on a high

Blast From The Past - everyone is together, everybody is getting along, JR finally has Ewing Oil and then Bobby’s back from the dead

Fall of The House of Ewing - Ewing Oil is no more, therefore the fight is over. Just as Bobby and Pam find happiness she’s gone

I think out of the three Blast From The Past would have been the best way to end the series.

There’s such an air of finality about the episode. JR and Sue Ellen are reconciled, Cliff and Jamie are happy. The feud is gone. Pam gets her happy ending. And then out of nowhere Bobby is back. Can you imagine if that was the final episode of the series. It would have ended on an absolute high

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Blast From The Past wouldn’t have been my absolute favorite episode to end the show with but I would’ve been okay with it. I find it interesting that all these years later we’d still be wondering how Bobby came back. We would’ve never had the dream resolution and we’d be sitting here debating the last scene to this day. And I like that idea.

Grangehill1

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Blast From The Past wouldn’t have been my absolute favorite episode to end the show with but I would’ve been okay with it. I find it interesting that all these years later we’d still be wondering how Bobby came back. We would’ve never had the dream resolution and we’d be sitting here debating the last scene to this day. And I like that idea.
Exactly that.

35 years later we’d all still be wondering how on earth Bobby was back from the dead

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Fall of the House of Ewing would’ve been an interesting place to end it as well. The end of Ewing Oil, the end of Pam; basically the end of everything the Barnes-Ewing feud stood for. And you get the same car that started the series ending the series. It’s perfect symmetry.