• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Coronation Street Corrie

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Apparently today is the 60th anniversary of 'Florizel Street' being commissioned by Granada. What would later become the much beloved Coronation Street.

On the other hand - 60 years and they still can't be arsed to give the early episodes/back catalogue a formal reissue of some description or other be that streaming/DVD. The offerings on Britbox are dire.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Eileen's getting some action at last....

Tony Maudsley who played Kenneth Du Bek in Benidorm will be coming in as her new love interest, this seems long term going by the article. Apparently the character is Archie Shuttleworth's son.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
I watched the 24 mins shows on ITV looking at Roy Cropper and Sally Webster, really enjoyed seeing them start out on the street and people no longer with us. My only gripe was it should have been an hour each to do justice to them.

RIP Hayley, still miss her and have no real remembrance of Stephanie Cole scenes on Corrie apart from Robert Vaughn (and i love her)

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Don't know whether to be excited or petrified for this one.....

Investing in the young characters is long overdue, given we all know how much the investment paid off for David, Sarah and Todd and similar characters back in the early 2000s with all becoming fixtures for many years on and off afterwards and actors seeming more willing to hold the role and return to it than underused characters.

That said it's going to be a 'tragic' 'hard-hitting' 'social responsibility' storyline - which means it's going to be fucking miserable in Corrie speak, there's a myriad of things it could be, but I really hope it's something original rather than the same old drugs and sexuality story-lines.

Posting due to the BIB, looks very likely to dominate 2020 - and if it's being released this year presumably the first half of the year.

There's suspicious lack of mention of Dev in this article? Where is he in all of this, given it's his kids involved? Could Dev kill himself over his financial worries - leaving Asha and Adi parentless? Would explain Roy's involvement - could be him returning to Hayley and Roy 'father of the lost souls' and attempting to adopt them?

He told Mirror Online and other publications last week: "We've got a huge story next year, for which we're laying the groundwork for this year, which involves some of the younger characters such as your Asha and your Nina and your Adi and Kelly - some may remember Kelly who is loan shark Rick Neelan's daughter.

"They're going to be stuck in a story that is incredibly hard-hitting and will have massive ramifications for Roy and for Abi.

"So yeah, essentially it will be one of the biggest things we'll do next year by some margin.

"It will be one of our quite serious social responsibility-type stories. It will start with the teens and then end up hoovering in Abi and Roy and countless other people as well.

"It would be weird to say that I'm excited about it because it's incredibly sad and tragic, in some respects, but it will be a really important story for us next year."

Apparently it will end up involving Roy and Abi or even other characters so could be related to drugs or similar, but hopefully something more imaginative.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Tony Maudsley

He was due to start filming in April and then it went pear-shaped. I'm looking forward to his character in this, I think he's a great actor.

Plus they are bringing Natasha back which is also fantastic. She was a great character who shouldn't have been given the boot when she did.

Don't know whether to be excited or petrified for this one..
As long as Asha is okay, I'm fine with whatever they do to the other two.

We are almost ready to start 6 episodes a week again (I think it's from next week) and I'm ready for this, it's been such a drag lately with stories taking forever to develop having felt spoiled with 6 episodes a week before.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
No Cameos for the 60th anniversary.....

Iain explained: ‘Ken, Rita and Audrey will be back for the 60th. That’s good news for everyone. Other returns, the answer to that is no – I love our cast – we have an incredible bunch of legends. I don’t want a revolving door of cameos, it feels like a cheap trick. Our current cast is fabulous – I didn’t want to add more.’

I understand his viewpoint but have to say I'm disappointed. There's cameos that could have been done without feeling cheap tricks - such as Emily who only recently left.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
I watched the Corrie show featuring Liz Macdonald last night

What has she done to her face? She needs to stop before she gets the JVA from KL look

But it was a great show on a great character over the years and lovely to see so many old clips from the 80s and 90s but i was disappointed that i didnt hear Big Jim Mac saying "I'll have an Ulster fry!" Once again, the tribute shows are too short and should be an hour, i could watch old Corrie clips easily.

I see she is on the cover of OK mag this week talking about her hip op, I will need to sneak a look next time Im in WH Smiths lol

emm1978

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
No Cameos for the 60th anniversary.....

I understand his viewpoint but have to say I'm disappointed. There's cameos that could have been done without feeling cheap tricks - such as Emily who only recently left.

Why do people expect anniversary weeks these days to be littered with past references and returns of former cast members.

I was recently watching the 30th anniversary week of episodes from December 1990, and there were no big returnees at all that week (unless you count Derek Wilton's boss, Victor Pendlebury, who had been a recurring character for 8 years by then), or any references to long past storylines, so why should the 60th be any different?

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
God this sinkhole storyline is a load of old cobblers.
I'm enjoying the humour it's brought to the story and while it's a scary thought for something like this to happen, I really did not see the twist at the end coming.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Some people are so quick to judge these days!!!

They judge a scene, before getting the full picture as to why the scene happened. The only way to find out the full story is to keep watching, and all will be revealed.

The twist makes the story even more utterly ridiculous and Brooksidesque.

You can't just 'arrange' for a sinkhole to appear in somebodies back garden. That's not how stuff like this works......

This isn't even 'suspension of disbelief' it's 'this isn't possible but it's a cool story'. It's a short leap from this story-line to turning Ken Barlow into a evil robot.....

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I agree it was cobblers. Shona's storyline however is even worse. It's not even believable. I feel sorry for the actress.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree it was cobblers. Shona's storyline however is even worse. It's not even believable. I feel sorry for the actress.

At least we don't have suffer David's tantrums.

Is that because he's maturing as a character? No, it's because storyliners have given him a personality transplant as they didn't want two shouty raging stories at the same time....

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I really struggle with the character Billy. I don't know if the actor is really poor, or the producers want him to act as he does.

I can't take his painful expressions seriously and how he dithers, he's like a male version of Mavis, only a really bad version of her.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Next week we will be meeting Nicky's mum, who used to be Katie Rogers' mum, Chrissy in Brookie

1600255876219.png

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
I really struggle with the character Billy. I don't know if the actor is really poor, or the producers want him to act as he does.

Bouncing Billy 200 feet off the cliff and then back to walking about a month later is when i switch ed off Corrie

I thought he always looked constipated when "acting" :confused:

emm1978

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The twist makes the story even more utterly ridiculous and Brooksidesque.

You can't just 'arrange' for a sinkhole to appear in somebodies back garden. That's not how stuff like this works......

This isn't even 'suspension of disbelief' it's 'this isn't possible but it's a cool story'. It's a short leap from this story-line to turning Ken Barlow into a evil robot.....

From the US Geological Survey website:

Sinkholes can be triggered by "human" activities such as: Overwithdrawal of groundwater. Diverting surface water from a large area and concentrating it in a single point.

emm1978

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Bouncing Billy 200 feet off the cliff and then back to walking about a month later is when i switch ed off Corrie

I thought he always looked constipated when "acting" :confused:

People have survived similar falls, in both real life and in fiction... Ken Barlow (August 1977).