Coronation Street Corrie

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
I have always wondered how Eileen can put up all her lovers and lodgers and family in a small mid terrace

same goes for Gail with all the kids and offspring

Ans when i was still watching Corrie i always wondered where Mary stayed??

Re Craig - last time i saw him acting lessons would be of benefit!! He was annoying - Rent a Policeman!! A bit like when Martin was the only nurse at Weatherfield General!!

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Really enjoyed Corrie this week, especially all the Kev & Debbie scenes, both emotional and gripping. Could have done with Abi in the same bubble so it would be even more realistic when she managed to open the door.

Pammy P

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Corrie has lost its way, nearly as bad as EastEnders - how many more prison/police/scenes can we endure! Now getting young Simon to be a county lines drug runner! Bring back the humour, we have Evelyn she is funny - we need someone like the oldies who are no longer here, like Blanche, Norris, bring back Cilla she was fun and Les Battersby.

ords

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
mary poppins
Corrie has lost its way, nearly as bad as EastEnders - how many more prison/police/scenes can we endure! Now getting young Simon to be a county lines drug runner! Bring back the humour, we have Evelyn she is funny - we need someone like the oldies who are no longer here, like Blanche, Norris, bring back Cilla she was fun and Les Battersby.
Make it in black & white and a bit grainy, that will be nostalgic to older viewers

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Bring back the humour,
While I agree that the show needs more older characters, I do think we have plenty of humour still happening, either with Evelyn, David, Shona, Gail, Audrey, Mary, Eileen, Steve, Tracey, Sally, Tim, Jenny, Brian, Emma and Beth.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie

thats why i have given up, and watched it since the 70s - bad acting, storylines, newbies and totally unrealistic now, no comedy, pathos, northern wit, the classic Corrie really does show how much it has declined and ratings too

the thing that really did it for me was Bouncing Billy bouncing off a cliff falling 100s of feet then about 3 weeks later up on his feet with his constipated look/ pained expression and the silly Pat Phelan ending

I felt guilty at 1st not watching, now i have about 3 more hours in a week and its great!! I still follow this thread and occasionally have dipped in and out of an epiosde at FWD if someone says there is something good on it but i do think Tony Warren would be spinning in his grave - Maureen Lipman is head and shoulders above anyone - her timing and delivery - and she can act, she is wasted on Corrie and should have her own series

so many hammy actors now, and the new family fall into that category and they havent quite got Covid right!! cafes, pubs, bistros, hopsitals open to all and sundry! err not here mate!! Dont they have researchers?? I know they do film in advance but they arent getting it right at all.

Ukdallasfan

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree that it’s a shadow of the show it used to be but I still prefer it to Emmerdale and Eastenders. I sometimes watch the classic episodes on ITV 2 in the afternoons and am regularly stunned by how much higher the quality of the scripts and the acting was then. I agree re Maureen Lipman too, she steals every scene she’s in. There was a brief period late last year when the show seemed to have hit its stride again, at least to an extent, but it’s back to leaving me cold again. Such a shame :)

Biggie

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Happy Gilmore
I've got to agree with the comments above about Maureen Lipman. She has clearly mastered her craft and shows so when she graces the screen.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I understand the schedule conflict with EastEnders but I am so tired of the half hour break between episodes. I didn’t even wait for last nights second episode and watched something else.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I understand the schedule conflict with EastEnders but I am so tired of the half hour break between episodes. I didn’t even wait for last nights second episode and watched something else.

I don't think I've watched it 'live' in a long time to be honest. Hub or nothing, generally a week of episodes in one sitting.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
At first, I wasn't impressed with Simon's drug story, it doesn't help that I don't care for the character and the new kid comes across like a younger version of Callum. That was then, this is now and I'm starting to enjoy it, I thought the showdown between Simon and Leanne was very well executed and it gave me a new appreciation for the story, especially looking at it from both sides.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I am so tired of the half hour break between episodes.
I don't think I've watched it 'live' in a long time to be honest. Hub
I'm trying to think when I last watched it live and I'm pretty sure it's over 20 years ago.

I watch everything at least 20 - 30 minutes after it starts so I can FF the adverts.

The only thing I watch live is rugby league and tennis.

Biggie

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Happy Gilmore
At first, I wasn't impressed with Simon's drug story, it doesn't help that I don't care for the character and the new kid comes across like a younger version of Callum. That was then, this is now and I'm starting to enjoy it, I thought the showdown between Simon and Leanne was very well executed and it gave me a new appreciation for the story, especially looking at it from both sides.
I agree that the showdown between Simon and Leanne was very well written and delivered by the actors.

I have been enjoying the recent storyline that Simon has been given. The idea of dealing drugs to support a parent is interesting and flips the support roles as understood.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The idea of dealing drugs to support a parent is interesting and flips the support roles as understood.
Yes, absolutely! I'm not a big fan of the character, but Simon's story has won me over and I hope it continues in the style it's going because I would much prefer liking the character to not liking him. Normally, drug stories become somewhat tedious because we've seen so many of them, but as you mentioned with the roles reversed and Simon desperate to do anything to keep his mum from losing everything.

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I totally agree with you.

I don't understand why they can't just show it as an hour long episode which is what they normally do on Friday.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I totally agree with you.

I don't understand why they can't just show it as an hour long episode which is what they normally do on Friday.

The one that makes no sense is Wednesday. EE isn't even on yet they still split it.

I guess it's to boost the rating for whatever trash Corrie is sandwiching ("Best Walks With A View" this week and give a relatively strong head start to the 9pm event TV of the week 'Fergie's Killer Dresser' documentary this week) but surely we've moved on from that era.

To be honest I'd rather they went down to five episodes a week at 7.30pm or 8.00pm consistently, Mon-Fri or if keeping six Sun-Mon, would hopefully free up a load of space for early evening entertainment/drama/documentary shows for ITV, sadly they've got no need to do that with being commercial.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
I think Corrie should be on for 30 mins x 3 week, Mon/wed./fri and give themselves a chance to write much better and more realistic storlines

Quality is much better than quantity and churning out unbelievable rubbish

When I dipped into Corrie for 1 epiosde last month, i wondered what had happened to the cute looking little boy that was Simon and could act. No more!

looks a bit like neanderthal man! Same went for Chesney who used to be a cute kid NO more!

ords

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
mary poppins
I think Corrie should be on for 30 mins x 3 week, Mon/wed./fri and give themselves a chance to write much better and more realistic storlines

Quality is much better than quantity and churning out unbelievable rubbish

When I dipped into Corrie for 1 epiosde last month, i wondered what had happened to the cute looking little boy that was Simon and could act. No more!

looks a bit like neanderthal man! Same went for Chesney who used to be a cute kid NO more!
Similarities between Simon & Ben Mitchell. Both cute & shy as kids , although Ben does carry off the gangster image more realistically.