Cristal dying ruined the show

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wonder if Mac will 're-surface' in the background as part of the cliffhanger? That would be hilariously macabre.

Blake: "He's right behind me, isn't he?"

Luuro

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Celia/Cristal was the best character on the show, she brought the show to another level that the show won't ever reach again until they bring her back or someone like her back.

Fallon is clearly the main character of the show, I mean who can blame them, but who is she without someone like Cristal 1.0 challenging her to leave her spoiled and bratty behaviors behind? Now all she does is run around with every other word from her mouth either being "Liam", "Michael", or "Culhane". She was a woman who came from a hard upbringing that understood the greed and corruption in the Carrington family and she sought to do something about it. When she died, Dynasty 2.0 just became a show about rich people and their drama. We already had the original Dynasty for that and there are now a million more shows where rich people do rich people things and be dramatic about it. Everything is lifeless and outdated without Cristal 1.0.

nostalgicstudent

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Celia/Cristal was the best character on the show, she brought the show to another level that the show won't ever reach again until they bring her back or someone like her back.

Fallon is clearly the main character of the show, I mean who can blame them, but who is she without someone like Cristal 1.0 challenging her to leave her spoiled and bratty behaviors behind? Now all she does is run around with every other word from her mouth either being "Liam", "Michael", or "Culhane". She was a woman who came from a hard upbringing that understood the greed and corruption in the Carrington family and she sought to do something about it. When she died, Dynasty 2.0 just became a show about rich people and their drama. We already had the original Dynasty for that and there are now a million more shows where rich people do rich people things and be dramatic about it. Everything is lifeless and outdated without Cristal 1.0.
You put exactly into words what Ive been trying to say, every character worked so perfectly with her because she was the contrast, tortured soul working her way up. Especially her bond with fallon, right when they respect eachother she dies. So sad shell never return, Cristal 2 is a joke in comparisn

MarkSinacori

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Agree. It was fine with the original Cristal. Also, they had to recast Alexis by having the same actress as Fallon play her. YUCK! The finale for next week, the promo is so tame. That's not good for a season finale promo. Doesn't tell much. No suspense. No shocks. Nothing. The whole production crew is not good. The writing is okay. But whoever is making choices for axing characters and recasting, et. and the promo for next week's finale...not good. It's gonna lose more viewers.

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
NK leaving really ruined a show that was already tanking. I think there was more drama behind the scenes than onscreen with the actress leaving......

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Agree. It was fine with the original Cristal. Also, they had to recast Alexis by having the same actress as Fallon play her. YUCK! The finale for next week, the promo is so tame. That's not good for a season finale promo. Doesn't tell much. No suspense. No shocks. Nothing. The whole production crew is not good. The writing is okay. But whoever is making choices for axing characters and recasting, et. and the promo for next week's finale...not good. It's gonna lose more viewers.

By what standards ?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Fallon being, ruined the show.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When I think about it... In original Dynasty, Fallon was my absolute fav (season 1 and season 9. Yes, I had to wait 8 long years before I could get my fav back on track) then Alexis was my N°2, then Sammy-Jo my n°3.

I guess I love bitches. As long as there is other characters as a balance, as an opposite.

The hard part for me, is that I don't really have a favorite in NuDynasty. Unlike @Alexis I like NuFallon. But I hate that every other characters are shadowed by her.
In original Dynasty, when Alexis came in, she was THE bitch. The ultimate bitch. Writers softened Fallon, because they surely thought we could not have to of that kind in a show. Which is a mistake imho.

Season 9 of Dynasty had a great Fallon, and I loved Alexis too, especially when she was fighting with Sable. So there. We could have good storyline/dialogues for both characters.

NuDynasty was unable to do that in season 2. Which is weird, because they could during season 1. NuAlexis in season 1 was way different than Joan's Alexis, but she was interesting (except for the trailer) and very manipulative (oh, fake Adam !). It worked ! So why did they make NuAlexis irrelevant in season 2 ???

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I only missed two episodes over the last two seasons, and yet I seem to be too disengaged to have really cared other than thinking it was weird that they did that. I'm not sure I ever even entirely "got" the explanation for the switch.

But I tend to view nuDYNASTY as a sitcom parody of the old show; of course, the old show was often a sitcom parody of itself, but the new show has more intentional humor. So I hold it to no real standard.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The sound of that neighing horse, when Nicolette opens her mouth :fp:
Producers/Tv editors are so mean :D

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
All long-running shows take occasional mis-steps. It's inevitable that mistakes will be made. Actually, a new show is more likely to make such errors, given the folks are inexperienced and have yet to truly get to know their audience. But even long-running shows with their proverbial 'finger on the pulse' can drop the ball.

Usually it's not the mistake that kills the show, but whether the show recovers from it. This is why I don't think Nathalie Kelley's departure (for whatever reasons) and the resulting decision to kill off Cristal/Celia did not "ruin" the show. The show handled the departure/death badly, and wasted opportunities that her death opened up for the other characters. The show would be much stronger if NK had remained; I think a lot of people here would agree with that, even if it's hypothetical. But when the writers were tasked with picking up the pieces after NK's departure, they made several poor choices, most of which involved a time-jump that allowed them to just toss "the pieces" aside and walk away. The writing seemed to be willing the viewer to forget Celia ever existed, or at least to say She's dead, gone; everybody's moved on and so should you. The set-siders may have had ulterior motives for adopting this tone, but even if the viewer is told months have passed, they haven't seen them pass for the characters. Seeing them have a party in the first episode back after we saw Celia shot and left for dead in a burning building was NOT how a show ought to deal with the death of a lead character. Having them barely mention her in ensuing episodes, and waiting until several episodes in before the characters learn (through confession, not investigation) that Claudia was the shooter made it feel like an afterthought. Celia's death should have been part of everyone's dialogue for the first few episodes of season two, and trying to find out who had started the fire and who shot Celia (were they the same person? Was there a possible assassin still lurking around? Would Alexis's role in Celia being trapped in the room be discovered and how would she cover that up?) should have had more screen time. It's impossible to predict, but I believe staying on that path rather than just hand-waving the events of the cliffhanger and going off in a different direction caused a disconnect in viewers' minds. The transition would have only needed three or four episodes to conclude Celia's story properly. Then and only then would we meet Cristal and learn how she tied to Celia, not this rushed introduction of "Real" Cristal that also gave the idea that Celia was a phony/fake who did not deserve to be thought about as a "real" person.

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As I have said before, I am still flabbergasted that this show is still on.

Will there be more than three Alexis’ and Cristal’s the future??

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think that The CW knows that whatever happens now, the show will never meet ratings success. If something had to happen, it was during season 2. Now it's too late to get better ratings.

Well, I know Games of Throne kept rising every season till the end. But it's GOT... And It's something quite rare. It won't happen for NuDynasty. I don't see how it could.