• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Crossroads Crossroads: 1964-1988, 2001-2003

JamesF

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's really lovely. I did do a bit of light Googling on him and he had an interesting career. He was certainly a charismatic presence on the show.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Poor Sue Lloyd, she was harshly treated. A great actress and Barbara was a great characters and getting rid of her was an early sign of the new producer taking the show down hill.
I forgot to mention this titbit in my previous post about her. Sue auditioned for The Colbys. In her own words, she was "up for" the part of Sable. She mentioned it briefly in an interview on one of the old Sky channels that aired the US soaps. There used to be a clip of it on YouTube.
I had no interest in the garage
Looking at the episodes online, they finally stop featuring it at the end of 1985.

I don't really understand the point of Jill as a character.
I'm presuming she was kept on as she was a legacy character. As you mentioned, she mostly wanders around "doing business" but it sounds like her pre-1985 years were much more drama filled with drug addiction, divorce, custody battles and so on. We seem to be meeting her at that point where a character has been around for so long (21 years by 1985), that they keep them on for the familiarity aspect without giving them much to do.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I forgot to mention this titbit in my previous post about her. Sue auditioned for The Colbys. In her own words, she was "up for" the part of Sable. She mentioned it briefly in an interview on one of the old Sky channels that aired the US soaps. There used to be a clip of it on YouTube.
I could see her in that role and think she was a better age for it as Stephanie Beacham looked a bit too young to have children as old as Miles and Monica.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In what feels like some sort of fantasy fanfic fever dream, ITV have commissioned a three part drama about Noele Gordon's life with Helena Bonham Carter playing the lead role in a script written by Russell T Davies!!

Sounds great. Bonham Carter's developing a bit of an niche playing real-life posh famouses with an air of boozy decadence about them: Liz Taylor, Princess Margaret and now our Nolly.

Julia's Gun

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I would have thought this was an April Fool, except as it's November it can't be!
I hope they re-create the motel fire scene, and they should include Julie Walters in some form, as a homage to Acorn Antiques:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
In what feels like some sort of fantasy fanfic fever dream, ITV have commissioned a three part drama about Noele Gordon's life with Helena Bonham Carter playing the lead role in a script written by Russell T Davies!!

This is really exciting news, I cannot wait to see this.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've been whizzing through episodes and when I got to September and realised I'd reached the end, I was quite sad that I wouldn't be following it any more.
It's taken me a wee bit longer but I've reached the end of my trip to the motel. 1985 is a fun era to watch, given the various departures, arrivals and returns to the hotel as it undergoes it's physical and metaphorical facelift. It's an easy show to watch and there's a great warmth to it. I've said it before but you really buy into the characters as proper friends and colleagues that get along with each other. There's a particularly great dynamic among the hotel staff including Nicola, Miranda, Paul, Jill, Adam and Kath. Some of the guest cast are laughable though (the wild eyed model agent Warren Duke being a noticeably bad standout) but in an odd way, it adds to the show's charm. I could have watched on but unfortunately the last of the regular episodes posted ends in September followed by a handful of Christmas '85 / New Year episodes. The direction in the New Years Eve episode is excellent. Despite hating most of the scenes featuring the garage, there's a great shot of Mack & Sid leaving it for the last time as it was due to be demolished to make way for the new leisure centre. I'd highly recommend dipping your toe into the Crossroads of 1985 if you have the time.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's an easy show to watch and there's a great warmth to it.
On the subject of easy watches, Together is currently being rerun again on Talking Pictures TV. I'm mentioning it here as it's from the same era as Crossroads transition period but probably doesn't warrant it's own thread. I caught an episode the other morning from the show's second (and final) series, when the show was aired live. It's a warm, quaint little curiosity of a show. The live element is great as it gives the show an energy that you wouldn't expect from a soap set in a housing body flat complex.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There’s a bit more info in this article about who is playing who.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
There’s a bit more info in this article about who is playing who.

I'm looking forward to to this so much. I wonder if they will recreate some of the iconic Crossroads scenes as part of telling her story.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Helen Bonham Carter should be good as Noele Gordon, i look fwds to it

My Nan was always a "Nolly" fan and thought she should marry Larry Grayson! She had an intersting career and I do hope it features her singing merry Xmas!!

Soap archives

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
None
I actually ran across this on YouTube thought I might find 1st episode to check it out. The title got my attention