• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Johnny Briggs, Crossroads and Coronation Street Actor, Has Died

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Johnny Briggs, who played the character Cliff Layton in Crossroads and Mike Baldwin in Coronation Street has died.

In a statement, his family said: “It is with great sadness that we announce the death of our father, Johnny Briggs.

“He passed away peacefully this morning after a long illness, with family by his side. He was 85.

CrhplLLWYAAPHR5.jpg

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sad news indeed. Thoughts with his family, I suppose it's a small comfort right now for them but at least they'll know he provided great joy to tens of millions of people over the course of four decades in the show.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
It’s quite spooky as for some reason he came into my head the other day...

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
As well as Corrie and Crossroads, I associate him with a number of British film series.

He had small roles in several Ealing films, his earliest being Hue & Cry back in 1947 (a wonderful film, which I find fascinating because it documents everyday life post WWII, with an eerie bombed-out landscape and kids playing in craters). He also had small roles in a few Carry Ons, and other similar films of the Seventies (like the film versions of Man About The House and Bless This House). I remember him in at least one of the Doctor films as well.

By the time he got to Corrie, he had decades' worth of acting experience, much of which was on the big screen. It's a really impressive body of work.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
RIP Johnny Briggs, he was one of the Corrie greats (sadly missing now) and involved in so many great plots - never bettered than the love triangle of Ken, Deirdrie and Mike - that had everyone on the edge of their seats with Will she leave Ken for Mike or not?

I loved the factory scenes and his spats with Ivy, Vera et al - He played the cheeky cockney spiv well and i enjoyed his relationship with Alma and thought he was great when she died.

I cant believe its been so many years since he keeled over in the street and died in kens arms- an era when Corrie was great and not the silly show it became

Biggie

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Happy Gilmore
Reading the comments above, I feel that I have missed meeting someone of great standing.

I enjoyed my time in Albert Square, but seeking new opportunities for adventure I left in the summer of 2007 and headed north. I believe (Googled it!) Mike left Weatherfield in 2006, meaning that we'd never cross paths.

Because not in this life, I'll remedy that in the next.

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I briefly met Johnny when he came to NZ for a telethon here in 1985. I got his autograph. His final episode was actually the last episode of Corrie as a series that I watched. It was a good swan song. I had watched every episode for thirty years and I could tell the show was going to go downhill after he left. He bowed out at the right time so he could enjoy some quality time for his retirement. I bowed out at the right time too so I only have (well 98%) very good memories of the Street. He definitely had some good stories on the show (with Deirdre, with Alma, with Bet and of course Ernest Bishop!) and I still remember his last Radio Times cover with the cast gathered round Mike’s deathbed :-(

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Here's Johnny Briggs with many of his Crossroads cast mates on a night out to watch Larry Grayson at the London Palladium. (Johnny is directly behind Mr Grayson). He appeared in over 400 episodes of Crossroads.

EvVGN1OXcAIrYiS.jpg

Last edited:

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree with everything that has been said except for one thing - I actually hated Baldwin's dementia exit storyline. I found it to be badly acted and poorly executed.

Also, it was totally ridiculous that Baldwin should die in the arms of his arch enemy, Ken who exclaims (somewhat improbably) "Oh Mike, No" as his nemesis meets his maker.

Also, I'm probably in a minority of viewers, but I personally preferred the character's long running feud with Don Brennan over his dispute with Ken Barlow.

Finally, it was a nice touch of ITV to dedicate last night's Corrie episodes to Johnny's memory.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Oh I dunno @Englishboy - sometimes they need their nemesis around to spar with. I remember when JR faked a heart problem in Cliff’s office - Cliff did look concerned, albeit briefly.