Dallas Pictures DALLAS 1978-1991 - A Photo History.

Snarky's Ghost

Soap Chat Oracle
The set decorator was on point. They've managed to match the table phone with the couch cushion. Looking at that hideous blue phone reminds me of the yellow one which appeared to match the outdoor furniture.
It's a very, very '70s look. And I like it. Even the phone (which is more '60s). :)

Karin Schill

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Is it just me or was 1970's house decor really ugly?

I know everyone has their own tastes but I can't say I particularly like it. :giggle:
Then again I might prefer it to the sterile decore without wallpapers with IKEA furnitures that seems to be very popular today...

So if I had a choice between Southfork TNT decor and original Dallas 1970's decor I might actually prefer the 70's stuff. :rlol:

Rove

Telly Talk Mega Star
Is it just me or was 1970's house decor really ugly?
No, it was ugly. I still have nightmares of the burnt orange curtains my mother insisted on. I recall mission brown door trims and really ugly burnt orange cat ornaments. Thank GOD the 80's arrived with its bright colours.

images.jpg

Those curtains looked something like the above.​
As for TNT Southfork it wasn't to my taste either. Like many houses today it lacked character and warmth. It didn't look lived in. I recently visited a friends home and the lady of the house had everything white. Just as well the couple don't have kids. The walls, ceiling were white. The furniture was that french provincial (white) finish. The carpet and floor tiles is white. Shoes had to be removed at the front door. The whole time I was there I felt really uncomfortable. Just picture when coffee was served in the formal lounge room. I actually felt like Elizabeth Warden from Keeping Up Appearances. Scared stiff I'd spill something. I understand it's there home but I couldn't get out of there fast enough. The home felt sterile.

Homes in the 1970's may have been ugly but at least they had character unlike the sterile homes of today.

Karin Schill

Super Moderator
Staff Member
I'm glad that you agree with me Rove. I can just imagine what the white house you just described looked like. Ugh, I wouldn't want to live there either. I prefer houses that feels lived in too! ;)

Rove

Telly Talk Mega Star
I'm glad that you agree with me Rove. I can just imagine what the white house you just described looked like. Ugh, I wouldn't want to live there either. I prefer houses that feels lived in too!
And isn't that the purpose of a home, it's lived in. Those early years of Southfork may have looked ugly but at least I had the sense the Ewing family lived there. I always enjoyed the kitchen scenes. Miss Ellie cooking or Bobby seeking out a glass of milk in the middle of the night.

Karin Schill

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Yeah Blackmarket Baby was one of the first Sue Ellen centered episodes and I love how all the dysfunctional shades of JR/SE's marriage were laid out before us. The way she turned her cheek away at the end when he tried to kiss her and then how he told her not to wait up, while watching Bobby and Pam being all happy together, really spoke volumes.

Snarky's Ghost

Soap Chat Oracle
No, it was ugly. I still have nightmares of the burnt orange curtains my mother insisted on. I recall mission brown door trims and really ugly burnt orange cat ornaments. Thank GOD the 80's arrived with its bright colours.
I'm not sure God had much say in those pastels from the '80s.

"Double Wedding"
Airdate: October 21, 1978.
Written By Jim Inman & Arthur Bernard Lewi
Directed By Paul Stanley
Music By Richard Lewis Warren & Ken Harrison
A perfectly decent episode damaged by all that extraneous looping they did during Season 2 (per DVD count). Season 8, the year Bobby would die, had a similar problem: to much damned looping, poorly executed.

Rove

Telly Talk Mega Star
"Runaway"
Airdate: October 28, 1978.
Written By Worley Thorne
Directed By Barry Crane
Music By John Parker
Lucy in that van with its fur trim dashboard. Too funny only because it reminds me what my older brother did with his first car :lolo:

Rove

Telly Talk Mega Star
"Old Acquaintance"
Airdate:October 7, 1978.
The image of Miss Ellie and Pamela (while she is patting the horse) talking about Jenna Wade is one of the reasons why I love Dallas, and still do. Location shooting, sensible writing, a subtle yet strong Miss Ellie and the stunning Pam. :)

Pammy P

Telly Talk Active Member
G8 pics thanks. I thought Victoria Principal was stunning in Double Wedding, glossy hair and lovely makeup .... wish I had that!