• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

DALLAS in another era

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Say for instances DALLAS was never thought of in 1977 and therefore never had it's 1978-1991 run, how do you think it would've been handled had it say aired between. 1958-1971 or 1998-2011 or 1968-1981, I would have loved to have seen a DALLAS from 1958-71, with all the vast cultural changes in those years, I have to imagine a Sue Ellen starting out very 50s Texan conservative housewife who later embraces flower power and lava lamps and mini skirts.

KayLloyd

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Very interesting question. My take is that Dallas would not have been as successful of a show as it was if it had premeired before the late 70's or after the mid 80's. The country was looking for distraction and Dallas delivered it. For an hour each week, you could forget about your own problems and watch someone else's. Without the perfect storm of timing to complement the casting, I'm not sure the show would have been given the chance it was during any other time frame.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
I think that Dallas was of its era - it was an 80s show and suited the 80s and that is why it was a huge success - bigger, bolder, better, money talks

It didnt work out of that timescale - For me Dallas belongs in the 80s

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree with both points, thanks :)

The 80s was the ultimate home for DALLAS, the only other decade I could see it being successful in is the 00s (ie 1998-2011), very interesting times they were.