Dame Diana Rigg: Avengers, Bond and Game of Thrones actress dies at 82

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Actress Dame Diana Rigg, famous for roles including Emma Peel in TV series The Avengers and Olenna Tyrell in Game of Thrones, has died at the age of 82.

Her daughter, actress Rachael Stirling, said she died of cancer, after being diagnosed in March.

"She spent her last months joyfully reflecting on her extraordinary life, full of love, laughter and a deep pride in her profession," she added.

Dame Diana also played the only woman who became Mrs James Bond.

She played Tracy in 1969 film On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
1px transparent line

Her more recent roles included the Duchess of Buccleuch in ITV's Victoria and Mrs Pumphrey in Channel 5's new adaptation of All Creatures Great and Small.

Samuel West, who plays Siegfried in the show, said: "Doesn't really make sense to think of her having died. She generally lived the hell out of everyone."

Stirling said: "My Beloved Ma died peacefully in her sleep early this morning, at home, surrounded by family. I will miss her beyond words."

Sir Tom Stoppard paid tribute to her "luminous" talent, while fellow playwright Sir David Hare said the actress had a "dazzling change of direction in middle age as a great classical actor".

Actress Dame Diana Rigg Dies At 82

Last edited:

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Oh sorry to hear that news

I was only watching her on Tues night on BBC iplayer Extras and Harry Potter / Daniel Radcliffe was playing with a condom which he let go and it landed on her head.

RIP Dame Diana Rigg x

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Very sad news. She was beautiful and a brilliant actress.

I also learned today that James Bond was married - to Diana's character - but it was the first and only time he married!

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've awoken to this news this morning. Terribly sad but what a career. Many of course are talking about her role in Game of Thrones. I've yet to sit down and watch this series in its entirety to appreciate Diana's role. One role I'll never forget was Helena Vesey in Mother Love. She was bloody scary in that.

Thoughts are with her family and friends.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Apparently Dame Rigg and Sir MacNee (a.k.a. Peel and Steed) became "needed" now.

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I loved her major guest lead role in ITC’s The Sentimental Agent, opposite quirky and charismatic Carlos Thompson, which was written by Brian Clemens, who she worked with on The Avengers.