• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dark Shadows has arrived!

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Most of the alternate characters (flashbacks and parallel time) were not that much different from their modern-time counterparts. There were changes, of course--there had to be--but Elizabeth was not that different from Naomi who was not that much different from Flora. Lord knows there were virtually no differences between Abigail Collins and Minerva Trask, right down to how they died with their eyes open (with occasional onscreen blinking).

I think the show's "flashback continuity" did suffer when Moltke was written out for good. Having her show up in 1897, 1840, etc. would have been immensely satisfying to those who value such continuity--I mean, we saw alt-versions of all the other modern-day characters in flashbacks and parallel time, so why would she not be there? I get in trouble trying to apply reason to this show. In parallel time 1970 she could have gotten her wish to play against type as Victoria Collins, Elizabeth's surly, bitter daughter who grew up at Collinwood. They'd always hinted that Vicky was Elizabeth's secret child, and in parallel time they could have made her the eldest daughter/heiress. Moltke could have played a more nasty character (not a true villain, but maybe something bitchier) and Carolyn would be the impossibly-sweet sister (and target of Victoria's insults).

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
well in the audio plays Vicki is the her daughter but i wonder is that even Cannon?

rlr718

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I bought the entire series (the coffin set) in 2015. We started it but didn’t finish, got past 1795 back to 1967. I think Barbara’s was briefly cured and the Frankenstein monster storyline was starting.
My main interest is because I remember seeing the start of the revival in 1991 and thought it was great. Before that I had never heard of dark shadows. The revival is on prime.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The revival series (NBC, 1991) was excellent. The casting, the production values, and the photography were all top-notch. I also loved how they took the original source material and boiled it down to its best essentials, making only a few key changes that made the story flow better (and make more sense).

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I went to FYE yesterday and I got seven volumes of Dark Shadows on DVD. They were all used copies, but they appear to be in excellent condition. It's not nearly the entire series, but I'm totally psyched about it!

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I went to FYE yesterday and I got seven volumes of Dark Shadows on DVD. They were all used copies, but they appear to be in excellent condition. It's not nearly the entire series, but I'm totally psyched about it!
It's all on Amazon Prime now...

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's all on Amazon Prime now...

Oh my good I've been contemplating watching this for years but couldn't afford the DVDs - I have no excuse now, do I?

Although it starts at 210, for some reason? Oh found the beginning set as well - really no excuse.

Last edited:

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Oh my good I've been contemplating watching this for years but couldn't afford the DVDs - I have no excuse now, do I?

Although it starts at 210, for some reason? Oh found the beginning set as well - really no excuse.
Yes, they have split it up into sections. Almost like chapters of a novel. Or really with Dark Shadows, a massive series of novels. Bat shit crazy novels.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think there are 1225 episodes (?), so it would be necessary to break it up into chunks. Also, some syndicators actually did not run the pre-Barnabas episodes when they reran the series, so those episodes are still considered a "chunk" simply because some viewers didn't see them.

Some may disagree, but I'd skip the Leviathan episodes before I'd skip pre-Barnabas.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think there are 1225 episodes (?), so it would be necessary to break it up into chunks. Also, some syndicators actually did not run the pre-Barnabas episodes when they reran the series, so those episodes are still considered a "chunk" simply because some viewers didn't see them.

Some may disagree, but I'd skip the Leviathan episodes before I'd skip pre-Barnabas.

There broke into 'Seasons' underneath that break down, I think this is just to make it easy for people to jump in at Barnabus anyway.

2 episodes in now anyway - 20 minutes is a helpful run time on that score - interested to see what Burke is up to - I know I could google but trying to resist temptation. Loving how unashamedly melodramatic and overacted it is.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I feel like I am going to have to go back to Collinwood very soon. The weather has changed, it's getting colder and darker and it all just seems right now. I haven't watched Sunset beach in a while.... I will have to leave them all stuck on that overturned cruise ship for a while and get back in my Dark Shadows vibe...

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm sure they will be just fine. If anyone could identify with the beleaguered residents of Collinsport, it would be the residents of Sunset Beach. Heck, they could apply to be sister cities.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm actually rushing up to finish Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman so that I can add Dark Shadows to my daily schedule by October hits. It just feels right to watch it as darkness hits.