Classic Soaps Dark Shadows Time Travel

rlr718

Telly Talk Active Member
Reaction score
Medals
with days having time jumped one year in the future and advertising it as a first in daytime I thought dark shadows had gone to 1995 from 1970. Which they did.

I don’t know if this is different since it was time travel not progressing everything ahead. On dark shadows the 1995 setting lasted 10 episodes I think then went back to the then present day.

Thoughts?

Daniel Avery

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
I think the Dark Shadows flash-forward doesn't really count because, like you said, it was only a handful of episodes and wasn't a permanent shift. Even their trips back in time (1840, 1897, 1795, etc.) were framed as a temporary situation and some of those plots lasted for many months. Nighttime soaps have done smaller time jumps (a few weeks or a few months) so often that fans don't even get upset, mostly because the nighttime soaps have long hiatuses between seasons. Nighttime soap fans are also accustomed to not having to see every single beat of a story the way daytime plays them. They are more apt to "skip to the chase" while daytime will play out all the details.

The 1995 flash-forward on DS was probably their weakest effort in time travel, though the "ruins of Collinwood" set design was admirable considering the restrictions the set designers worked under.

Time jumps are often the lazy way out when the writers can't adequately explain a major shift in story. In this case, I think Ron C sold it as a publicity gimmick alongside the opportunity to shift some stories that had gotten bogged down. Like a nighttime soap, they can just say "Oh, X left town six months ago..." rather than spend a week writing their good-bye scenes with five or six other actors and coming up with an exit story that fans will accept.

rlr718

Telly Talk Active Member
Reaction score
Medals
I think the Dark Shadows flash-forward doesn't really count because, like you said, it was only a handful of episodes and wasn't a permanent shift. Even their trips back in time (1840, 1897, 1795, etc.) were framed as a temporary situation and some of those plots lasted for many months. Nighttime soaps have done smaller time jumps (a few weeks or a few months) so often that fans don't even get upset, mostly because the nighttime soaps have long hiatuses between seasons. Nighttime soap fans are also accustomed to not having to see every single beat of a story the way daytime plays them. They are more apt to "skip to the chase" while daytime will play out all the details.

The 1995 flash-forward on DS was probably their weakest effort in time travel, though the "ruins of Collinwood" set design was admirable considering the restrictions the set designers worked under.

Time jumps are often the lazy way out when the writers can't adequately explain a major shift in story. In this case, I think Ron C sold it as a publicity gimmick alongside the opportunity to shift some stories that had gotten bogged down. Like a nighttime soap, they can just say "Oh, X left town six months ago..." rather than spend a week writing their good-bye scenes with five or six other actors and coming up with an exit story that fans will accept.
We have the entire series on dvd but have not finished it so I haven’t seen the 1995 trip. I think we got as far as back to 1967 from 1795 but hadn’t gotten to 1840 yet. It’s actually been a few years, at this point might start over.

Daniel Avery

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
1840 is the last major time shift story they attempt, though they do go to the well again by doing a parallel-time 1840-1 story. They were in the midst of that story when the show got cancelled (1971) so you have plenty of stuff to see before you get to 1840. But in true DS fashion, it all flies by so quickly that you can't believe it's all over when it ends.

Don't get your hopes up too much about what you'll see in 1995. It's a nifty attempt at broadening their scope, but they didn't make the most of it.