• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Democrats React To John Bolton's White House Exit

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
John Bolton is a dangerous war lover who loves war so much that he couldn’t even get confirmed by the Senate in 2005, when love of war was all the rage in American politics. Bolton’s extremely well-known ideology either wasn’t known, or didn’t matter enough, to President Donald Trump, who hired him to serve as national security adviser in 2018 because he liked how Bolton sounded on the television set. After a predictable year and a half of Bolton being frustrated that the president, for whatever reasons, hadn’t carpet-bombed Iran, North Korea, and Venezuela, it was the president’s consideration of having the Taliban over for dinner and drinks that reportedly severed the relationship for good. Bolton either resigned or got fired Tuesday morning.

Washington can and will focus for days on litigating that question of who called off the relationship. The important thing, though, is that John Bolton, whose proximity to the president’s ear made the world a more dangerous place, is gone.

Democrats, however, can’t celebrate that Bolton is gone, because that would be applying a positive spin to a development at the White House. So in the immediate hours after Bolton’s firing/resignation numerous Democrats issued statements decrying the “chaos” at the White House when simple statements of confetti emoji would have sufficed.

Nancy Pelosi: "John Bolton's sudden departure is a symbol of the disarray that has unnerved our allies since day one of the Trump Administration. Steady leadership & strategic foreign policy is key to ensuring America’s national security."

Chris Murphy: "I’m legitimately shaken by the grave instability of American foreign policy today.

I’m no Bolton fan, but the world is coming apart, and the revolving door of U.S. leadership is disappearing America from the world just at the moment where a stable American hand is most needed."

Joaquin Castro: "The state of American foreign policy is concerning. This revolving door on staff and a lack of stability in this Administration should deeply concern us all.

A reminder that Bolton was our 3rd nat sec advisor.

We need reliable, steady leadership."

Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer, meanwhile, issued the following statement: “Today’s action by the president is just the latest example of his government-by-chaos approach and his rudderless national security policy. When Ambassador Bolton’s extreme views aren’t enough for you, the United States is headed for even more chaotic times.”

Perhaps, though, “steady” and “stable” leadership is overrated when that steadiness and stability are dedicated toward regime change across the globe. A “rudderless,” unfocused, scatterbrained approach toward foreign policy that confuses everyone but doesn’t do irreparable kinetic damage to every country that looks crosswise at us might be the more preferable option as we wait out the remainder of Trump’s presidency, for however long that might be.

Delighting in Bolton’s departure does not mean praising some shrewd instance of leadership from the president—especially as we don’t know that Trump fired him in the first place. It’s enough of a black mark on Trump for hiring Bolton because he liked watching his mustache flap on Fox News, without bothering to recognize that they might spent the next indefinite amount of time disagreeing over major foreign policy decisions. You don’t have to give Trump a hearty slap on the back to express relief that the mistake has been corrected, and Democrats should feel comfortable celebrating Bolton’s absence from an official position of power in the United States government.

Source: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/09/democrats-react-to-john-boltons-white-house-exit.html

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
John Bolton said that he's going to vote for Joe Biden. That makes me even more glad that I'm not.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And which POTUS does Bolton most resemble?

Policy wise I would say Bush, Jr.

Although to be fair, not so much as Bush personally but those in his administration that were clearly running the show (Cheney, etc.).

He doesn't resemble Trump, that's for sure. Trump has no clear philosophy about anything other than furthering his own personal interest.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Although to be fair, not so much as Bush personally but those in his administration that were clearly running the show (Cheney, etc.).

He doesn't resemble Trump, that's for sure. Trump has no clear philosophy about anything other than furthering his own personal interest.
Everybody always gets this right. Why didn't you? :)

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Everybody always gets this right. Why didn't you? :)
I suppose because I am looking at the policy stances that Bolton supports, which is perpetual war and not looking to link him to other presidents in a vain attempt to prop up Trump.

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ha! I was thinking either Teddy Roosevelt or William Howard Taft as far the resemblance goes.

Which only proves that not having a clear philosophy about anything can be just as dangerous as executing (literally) your objectives efficiently.

Most presidents seem like mere puppets anyway, which is why they almost never fulfill the campaign promises they run on. That's just their way in the door.

Biden must be a new breed because he said he'll do nothing for us right off the bat. The bar has been set so low at this point that many consider demented, status quo Joe to be a step up.

Last edited: