Did Katherine Wentworth have any redeeming qualities?

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I think it's safe to say if she did they were few and far between. She loved Rebecca, and of course although it was obsessive, she loved Bobby.

What about other qualities? Or was Katherine just plain ol' mean?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Like Lady Jessica, Katherine -- and indeed most of the sister-in-laws -- seemed to be sociopathic.

Do sociopaths have redeeming qualities, or is it all just manipulation? I don't suggest getting close enough to find out for sure.

lbf522

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I thought Katherine was wasted and there were missed opportunities. She had her life turned upside down after her father's death. First finding out that her mother had children from a never before known first husband, then Cliff becomes part of her father's company and then her mother dies fighting Cliff's war against the Ewings and finally in Rebecca's will is made part owner of a company that should be completely hers. So I understood Katherine's anger.

Her obsession with Bobby was silly though.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I thought Katherine was wasted and there were missed opportunities. She had her life turned upside down after her father's death. First finding out that her mother had children from a never before known first husband, then Cliff becomes part of her father's company and then her mother dies fighting Cliff's war against the Ewings and finally in Rebecca's will is made part owner of a company that should be completely hers. So I understood Katherine's anger.

You are absolutely right about all of these. But we did not see these on screen. These are things we would have to imagine as context on our own, based on the few scraps of background info. I think DALLAS did not care for characters who were in the gray area--they liked their villains evil to the core. Starting with the stetson hat one.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
JR wasn’t evil to the core though. He did have a soul somewhere.

Great points made though by everyone. I thought her love for Bobby was quite realistic. It can happen, even to the point of hurting that person.

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
they should have had Katherine appear in the Southfork den for some reason to face Miss Ellie, who’d give the exact speech she gave JR near the end of season one:

“I don’t know that you have any redeeming qualities. Is there anyone you love?”

“I love Bobby”

“But you shot him, you poisoned him, you sort of ran him over with a car but not really!”

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
She was really good at wearing big hats!

D8296E77-8F54-489B-B779-064245BDEEF3.jpeg

Unfortunately Katherine didn’t have any other redeeming qualities. Hard to have any when you try to steal your sister’s man, kick your brother when he is down, shoot your ex brother-in-law, and are in the business of hiring assassins to off the people you can’t stand.

Top Jimmy

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
No, she didn't. She was contemptuous of everyone except for her parents. She did have a right to be bitter towards Cliff for taking over her father's company, though. I agree that Katherine was wasted to a certain degree and could have been used more effectively. However, she was a great villain. It would have been great if she and Lady Jessica met and interacted before they both went off the deep end.

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I believe she loved her parents which made her feelings of betrayal by her mother even stronger and pushed her further to want to preserve her father's memory and legacy.

She was also very pretty, though that's more just Morgan Brittany herself.

Unfortunately, I don't think the writers developed her very much to actually have a plot of her own outside of relating to the main characters we knew and saw things through the eyes of.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
I think she did have a few redeeming qualities. As mentioned above, she did love her parents and had a great fashion sense. In her last full season they hinted she had a social life in Houston, but guys actually looked like total jerks. In her place I would have become a psycho too...I always loved how they write her first long scene with Rebecca and Cliff: she was career-oriented and changed her boyfriends as soon as others (like Marilee) changed their corners...

Marilee & Kathy: The heavenly couple that never was​

I used to think she actually was a serial killer in N.Y. a la Catherine Tramell in "Basic Instinct"...minus the leg crossing, of course: Kathy darling was too classy for that. As I said here before, something tells me that she initially was not into sex: J.R. didn't really like to sleep with her, he just used her when Serena was not in town (sic!! and sick!!)...and maybe she just projected some kind of fetish obsession into Bobby (helmet hair related?).

"Don´t worry Bobby: it will prevent dandruff..."​

Now (more) seriously, I think that Morgan Brittany took the role and did wonders with it, sometimes too subtly because I'm not sure everybody here noticed that she hinted a lot of things since the very beginning, especially her adoration for Bobby. The psycho thing was not sudden or a way to get rid of the character due to Morgan´s contract for "Glitter" (and pregnancy). The problem was the confession scene, written by an uninspired David Paulsen who just couldn't make it believable. Same thing would happen later with Jessica´s confession in Season 12. Only over-exposition and a excuse for flashbacks. Lame territory...
upload_2019-10-23_12-58-19.png

Here is Kathy trying to explain why she tried to kill Bobby twice...

upload_2019-10-23_13-5-26.png

However, I still don't know who the guy waiting for her was...​

Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
upload_2019-10-23_13-7-11.jpeg

And let´s not forget that Rebecca used to work at Christina Crawford´s boarding school...​

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I mean fair enough, but all of what's been said so far in this thread considered. I would still rather be Katherine's mate than Sue Ellen's.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I mean fair enough, but all of what's been said so far in this thread considered. I would still rather be Katherine's mate than Sue Ellen's.

Could you meet me in Belfast later...you know for a 'wee chat'??

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Her driving skills that got her off of the show.

Last edited:

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Could you meet me in Belfast later...you know for a 'wee chat'??
Sorry Sarah I would have swung Sue Ellen clean by the roots if I was at Southfork.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
My Sue Ellen is lovely. But then you love Alexis, who I'd swing by the roots too :rolleyes:

You'd rather be friends with someone who...becomes obsessed with your husband, shoots him and runs him over?

Sounds like a typical night in West Belfast :D