• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Did You Stop Watching?

Herofan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I recall someone mentioning how they stopped watching Dallas at some point. I’m curious, did you stop watching at some point? If so, when and why?

I watched it all the way through, but I haven’t seen anything past the dream season since the original run until now. I’m currently on the range war season. I’ve rewatched up to that four or five times. It certainly brought back memories. Watching these other seasons for the first time is almost like watching new episodes. I remembered general things like the range war and such, but I had forgotten details.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
my dad watched it back during it's original run i've said this many times on here where i'd go to bed as a kid listening to the theme song and knowing he was watching Dallas.

in (2005) i'd say July of that year since i did join that month here on a lark i borrowed the 1st season from a friend and was hooked. i haven't seen the dream season or past it yet, but there's no denying that some of it you will enjoy and some of it you won't. and some of it you will go WTF? and as for rewatching things don't you love that though? after not seeing a show/film or reading a book for so long you can enjoy the all over again just like you did when you first read or watched them? sometimes you enjoy it better the 2nd time around than you did the 1st.

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I started watching "Dallas" sometime during season two and I got both my parents hooked soon after. We watched together every Friday night (as well as "The Early Years" and the re-broadcast of the original mini-series) right up through the first episode of season ten. The dismissal of season nine as a dream - "none of that happened" - killed it for us. The three of us would gather around the TV Friday nights at 10 to watch "Falcon Crest" but we never watched another episode of "Dallas" together.

I did tune in to watch one of the episodes featuring Barbara Eden, a bit of stunt-casting that I couldn't resist.

Swami

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I must admit it wouldn't have been hard to stop watching the last couple of seasons with the awful new additions, Granny Beaumont and her tribe, Tommy McKay, Rose McKay, but loyalty kept me through.

Swami

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I didn't watch until much later than everyone here but nope, I never stopped. I like to see things through to the end. If/when I rewatch I will sometimes pick episodes or scenes that I want to watch and seek those out, but overall if I'm doing a series rewatch I'll rewatch the entire thing from start to finish.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
No, never stopped. I'm not sure why as a Dallas fan, you would give up on the series, although I am very diehard. Linda is my absolute favourite and I did find it very hard to watch without her. I feel that is when Dallas changed completely - nothing was ever the same and JR's character went way off the rails.

Having said this, I have only watched the seasons without her when they were originally aired. I have no desire to revisit the likes of cheesy James Beaumont, his snoozefest of a mother or Cally and her paintings ever again.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I started watching in season 5 and was a regular until Bobby returned in the shower. Then I watched it sporadically, then just to see the cliffhangers, and after SuevEllen left, not at all. It was a different show. I tuned in for Conundrum which was so bad, imho, I was annoyed more than bored.
The only one of the soaps I watched until the very end religiously was KL.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
You are totally right @Jimmy Todd - it was a different show after Sue Ellen left. That's a fact, it just is.

I think people do overreact about the dream though - it wasn't the worst that could happen - it's not like Bobby landed with aliens.

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched it all the way through...to the bitter end. Am currently on my erhh...8th or 28th re-watch and intend to stop at the end of season 8...but I know damn well that I won't.

Justine

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I didn't watch any episodes after Sue Ellen left - partially because of Linda's exit but also partially because the quality of the show went downhill after the dream season. There were so many departures at once (Pam, Donna, Sue Ellen) that there wasn't much incentive for me to continue. I do, however, plan to watch the later seasons at some point because I'm curious to see what else happened.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I never stopped watching Dallas. Well, the original Dallas.

I've seen the first two seasons of the TNT Dallas. Never watched the third, I got fed up with it & never watched it after that whole A Ewing Will Die nonsense. :)

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched it until the very end and never missed an episode during the original broadcast of all the seasons. When it was released on DVD I had no desire to watch pass season 10 when Pam drove her car into a tanker. The show went rapidly downhill after that.

I watch all episodes of the TNT sequel but have absolutely no desire to watch any of that again.

Swami

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I never stopped watching Dallas. Well, the original Dallas.

I've seen the first two seasons of the TNT Dallas. Never watched the third, I got fed up with it & never watched it after that whole A Ewing Will Die nonsense. :)

I still watched all three seasons of TNT Dallas, although as you say it became very far-removed from what Dallas was.

In terms of buying the DVDs, I have the full boxset of the original and all three series of TNT.

Swami

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I still watched all three seasons of TNT Dallas, although as you say it became very far-removed from what Dallas was.

In terms of buying the DVDs, I have the full boxset of the original and all three series of TNT.

Swami

I've just done something I'd thought I'd never do!

I bought season three of the TNT Dallas when I was in a bit of a drunken state last week on eBay, it was only about £12!

However, whether I actually watch it will be a different story!

It may just go on the shelf with the rest of the boxsets to make the entire series complete. ;) :)

southfork88

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched Dallas until the end and never missed an episode, then converted the 357 episodes, plus movies and TNT nuDallas, as beautiful caps (1200 for each episode) and I periodically enjoy choosing some of them for you. I already know all the stories and the dialogues almost by heart, obviously in Italian (VHS). Often I regard the episodes from DVDs in English (my complete collection) or the episodes stored in the pendrivers. Not everything is to my complete satisfaction, but overall I feel sympathy for every Dallas character and actor, without exception ...

Last edited:

Michelle Stevens

'The Lovely Michelle'
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched in all from 1978-2014. I have the DVD's of the all the original seasons, 1-14, plus I have JR Returns and War Of The Ewings on VHS. I have re-watched them all except the TNT series to which I will someday.

Last edited:

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
To be honest, if Dallas ever returned as any kind of continuation I'd scrap the TNT years completely and pretend it never happened.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
for me when it comes to tv series i try and watch all tv shows i watch until the very end. like i loved under the dome the show for example but the last season was painful to watch it was just oh so bad and it's a wonder why that show was cancelled from that season alone. but i will at some point watch all of Dallas and honestly i have no idea what i will think of it, but no doubt some of it i will like and some of it will hate.